Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 12:32 PM

130,624 posts, read 12,160,757 times

Advertisements

Adults make their own decisions, right or wrong, it is not my job to correct them.

I have a sister who smokes, despite lung cancer being on both sides of our family. But she won't stop becasue I ask her to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 12:50 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,501,345 times
I have great health and zero history of illness, smoking, drinking, etc. I'm 73.

I really resent it when someone insists that I get a flu shot, or take part in some of these screening events that pop up now and then. Some people need those things, but probably most do not. Once they get on Medicare, some people have this idea that just because the coverage is there, they must use it, even if nothing is really wrong.

If your weight is normal, your diet is excellent, you stay active physically and mentally, and you feel well, do not be guilt tripped into having unnecessary medical procedures done just because some non-medical person thinks you should. Think for yourself.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I have great health and zero history of illness, smoking, drinking, etc. I'm 73.

I really resent it when someone insists that I get a flu shot, or take part in some of these screening events that pop up now and then. Some people need those things, but probably most do not. Once they get on Medicare, some people have this idea that just because the coverage is there, they must use it, even if nothing is really wrong.

If your weight is normal, your diet is excellent, you stay active physically and mentally, and you feel well, do not be guilt tripped into having unnecessary medical procedures done just because some non-medical person thinks you should. Think for yourself.
Most of these people never took care of their health when they were young

I admit that i rarely go to the doctor now. Once a year for sure to get bloodwork for my thyroid meds. Can't go without those.

They nag me also. But they don't realize that when i was a youngster and in the military for over 20 years - it was mandatory to get a full medical and dental exam. We also had to exercise and watch our diet. Smoking was frowned upon. I was still running my mile and a half for the yearly test and making good time. They say they never ran once they left high school. Not that running is everything, but still it is exercise.

One friend's brother passed away last night. He was diagnosed with cancer three weeks ago. He knew he was ill, but probably told himself he didn't want to be like the others in his family. Dialysis and chemo every week for years? That is the way i want to go - quickly.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
I never had flu shots, my sister always gets flu shots, guess who gets sick because of the flu more. My sister.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Adults make their own decisions, right or wrong, it is not my job to correct them.

I have a sister who smokes, despite lung cancer being on both sides of our family. But she won't stop becasue I ask her to.
When my mom was ill, we met with a social worker. She made us understand that we could not force my mother to do things she doesn't want to do.

A couple of these friends have ill spouses. They are weak and do not want to eat. Forcing someone to eat is a big mistake. Your throat muscles do not work as well. You can choke or send food particles into your lungs.

And i think maybe these people just want to be left alone and go peacefully.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I never had flu shots, my sister always gets flu shots, guess who gets sick because of the flu more. My sister.
I was required to have the flu shot yearly in the military. I did get the flu once.

I don't take it now. Have never had the flu. Knock on wood!

Old 08-07-2019, 01:12 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:

Well, thank you Ms. One Data Point.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:17 PM

3,154 posts, read 1,611,477 times
Quote:
Depends upon your public exposure and natural immunity. My husband gets flu shot every year as he is regularly exposed to a large diverse population including immigrants. The flu does not protect against every strain. So he gets the flu shot every year but has a higher probability of getting the flu vs. me who doesn't get the flu shot but has very limited public exposure.

Not suggesting this is the case with you and your sister but there is a case to be made for getting flu shots.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
I get my flu shots. I never get the flu. I barely get colds.

Anecdotal evidence isn’t evidence.

More anecdotal evidence? My husband never got flu shots. He got a brain tumor.

Your sister getting flu shots actually may give her needed antibodies to help her fight the virus so she doesn’t die. People die every year from influenza.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
When my younger brother was in his late 30's, I nagged him to go to the doctor because he had a large mole/birthmark on his leg that was getting darker and maybe larger. We did not live in the same state or talk that often and I did not have access to internet at that time so it was mainly over the phone. And I did not have the ability to send him website articles about melanoma or to research it myself without going to a library or bookstore. This went on for a couple of years with my mentioning the mole every couple of months when we talked. I also mentioned it to my older sister because she lived in the same city as him and to another brother. My sister's response was yeah he has that birthmark and was not concerned.

Well it turned out to be melanoma and Stage 3 by the time he got around to seeing a doctor.
And our entire family helped support him financially and emotionally the last two years of his life. This may sound cold,
but they are not asking for help now but may be asking for lots of help later when things go south and it may be too late. I regret that I did not nag more or try harder to get another older brother involved who had a little more clout - but he was very busy with this job and family at that time.
Good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement