Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,470,061 times

Advertisements

I put my mother’s data into that calculator.....says she will live to 101.

She died at 94.

My dad - born in 1919 - died at age 80.

I will at least get to be as old as my mother.

I do hope there will be peaceful and legal ways to choose to end life by the time I get there. If I have a terminal illness I will choose that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 06:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,847 posts, read 58,440,876 times
Better plan on age 95+ (That would be 50 yrs in retirement for me)

Not counting on anything, including the rest of today!

I'm living on 'borrowed time' for last 50 yrs. If I give up riding the racing motorcycles, I have a better chance of living a bit longer, maybe past 100!, But.. I'm ready tonight if the trumpet sounds. Poof, GONE!

DS also is on borrowed time.

Both having a blast, as will the survivor, then... It's over and all remaining $ (if any) and junk goes to charity.

I hope they appreciate my $35 car! It has served me well and I hope it does to age 95+
My really good friend was driving his custom Mustang Cobra / manual tranny in the mtns past his 96th B-day and also on in the day he died (not in the car, but peacefully at home...)

What a winner...! a spry gal friend flew from USA to Ireland to meet us on her 95th B-Day (we just celebrated her 98th, She gave up driving to get the mail in the snowy mtns last yr)

Old 08-06-2019, 06:30 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,070,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
But how about you? How long do you expect to be alive in retirement? Do you plan to be healthy for most of your retirement years? Will you live longer than the typical life expectancy? (The Mid 80s for people who lived to age 62)

If you expect to live a long time in retirement and will be full of health and vigor how does this impact your bucket list? Will you postpone some of your bucket list because you expect to be able to do many of these things in 20-30 years?
I'm struggling to try to answer this in a way that doesn't sound snarky but..... it is not possible to "plan to be healthy", other than to make lifestyle choices that reduce or eliminate health-damaging factors while choosing those that have been scientifically shown to be of benefit or at least stack the deck somewhat in favor of good health. Even then there are way too many variables for any of us to "expect" or "plan" to live to a certain specific age.

My best friend was the poster child for healthy living all her life. Never smoked, rarely drank, avoided environmental toxins, ate healthy, you name it she did it The Right Way. Yet at age 54 she was diagnosed, out of the blue, with a super aggressive form of ovarian cancer and was dead in less than a year.

Likewise I had absolutely no risk factors of any kind for cancer but was diagnosed with it at 60. I was very lucky that it was caught at Stage II because mine too was an aggressive type. My ex husband no doubt "expected" to live to see his son graduate from college but instead dropped dead of heart attack at age 55 while son was still in middle school. I could go on but you get the idea.

In short, I don't know anyone who has the temerity (some might say arrogance?) to "expect" to live to a certain age, or to be "full of health and vigor". Certainly we all HOPE that we will, and for some lucky people those wishes come true.

I never had a bucket list in any serious way. There were certain specific things I wanted to do (such as to visit England and France, and to ride in a hot air balloon) but I did those when I was in my 30s and 40s because I had the means and opportunity to do them, so what sense would it have made to wait for some nebulous time in the future? None, IMHO. "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may", and all that.

To answer the original question, I don't expect anything either way. It wouldn't change the future even if I did "hope or expect or plan"! I live my life now and going forward (for however many years) in the way that seems best to me and what my finances will allow. In other words I play it by ear. Works for me.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 08-06-2019 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 06:41 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,070,107 times
By the way, that linked calculator is ridiculous. It takes absolutely nothing into account that could actually impact the projection. Date of birth and gender? That's IT? SERIOUSLY?

Excuse me for laughing but what a joke.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:57 PM

1,572 posts, read 3,302,531 times
I’m planning for an estimated shuffle-off-the-mortal-coil age of 86. That will give me about 22 years of retirement.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,893,760 times
John 11:25-26 -- “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. "

Old 08-06-2019, 07:30 PM

417 posts, read 705,232 times
I retired at 60 with 30 years of government service. I figure that I win if I live to 90. I will have collected my pension for as many years as I worked.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:32 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,391,442 times
I don't think about it. Every day is a good day, I'm loving them all, each and every one of them.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:36 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,717,994 times
Your parents longevity are not necessarily yours. My MIL died at 67 just 2 years after her mom died at 89.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM

5,270 posts, read 3,645,354 times
I cannot find any male in my bloodline who made 75yo. My mother turns 93 in 2 months & her sister is 92. So it's Wheel of Fortune for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement