Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 08:16 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,612,357 times

Advertisements

Where is the waterfall picture? Looks like Niagara Falls but I don't remember seeing that particular location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 08:16 AM

1,210 posts, read 894,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Where is the waterfall picture?
Niagara Falls

Old 08-04-2019, 12:56 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,752,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I took over 10,000 old photos my parents and I had going back over 100 years and sent them to VDOCS for scanning. I had two of those copy machine paper boxes completely full of them.
VDOCS scans each one and the most economical way is for you to pre-sort them by size: all the 5X7 in bundles, all the 4X6 in bundles, etc...that way VDOCS just feeds the bundles into a batch scanner. I hired a few kids in the neighborhoods to take all the photos and sort them into same size bundles. Then I shipped the photos to VDOCS. I got back 9 DVDs, over 40 gigabytes with all the photos scanned.

Then I sorted the photos categorically (family, vacations, employment, education related, rock concerts, outdoors, vehicles, parents, etc) in folders on my computer. (And I back these photos up to other hard drives.)

Also, I make these photo folders available to Google photos and they get uploaded to Google for free.

https://vdocs.org/
This is an interesting thread. I have been looking for a solution to organize and store all my photos, slides and videos to pass down to my children.

What is the best media to store videos? Years ago I was working on this but the technology was changing so fast I stopped.

When you put them on Google all your family can look at them online?

Some of these pictures will be irrelevant to my children because they will have no idea who is in the picture. In fact some of them I have no idea who is in the picture. I'm thinking maybe to throw them away.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

What is the best media to store videos? Years ago I was working on this but the technology was changing so fast I stopped.

When you put them on Google all your family can look at them online?

Some of these pictures will be irrelevant to my children because they will have no idea who is in the picture. In fact some of them I have no idea who is in the picture. I'm thinking maybe to throw them away.

Best media is MULTIPLE hard drives. The most reliable hard drive isn't as reliable as the two most unreliable hard drives. Plus, if you go on vacation or something, just unplug the external hard drive and take one with you. that way, if there's a fire or a burglary, you have all your precious photos.

Three to four terabyte external USB hard drives are less than $100.

PriceWatch - Lowest prices, local and nationwide stores selling usb 3.0 3tb Hard / Removable Drives | Page 1

Yes, they can all look on them online. You can control who has rights to view your photos.

Don't throw them away. In fact, the technology is coming around where the computer can look at a photo and tell you who it is from other known photos. For example, in my collection of 10s of thousands of photos on Google Photos, I can type "Abby" and many pictures of Abby will show up...Google is smart enough to extract facial information from any photo that might have "abby" in the title and show you photos that "look" like Abby. It's amazing.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM

7,804 posts, read 6,430,977 times
I have a picture of my wife and I at Dunn's Falls in Jamaica. I have it in the screen saver on my desktop computer.

I also have one of our son who was 4 at the time sitting behind the wheel of our red convertible. He is now 58.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Best media is MULTIPLE hard drives. The most reliable hard drive isn't as reliable as the two most unreliable hard drives. Plus, if you go on vacation or something, just unplug the external hard drive and take one with you. that way, if there's a fire or a burglary, you have all your precious photos.

Three to four terabyte external USB hard drives are less than $100.

PriceWatch - Lowest prices, local and nationwide stores selling usb 3.0 3tb Hard / Removable Drives | Page 1

Yes, they can all look on them online. You can control who has rights to view your photos.

Don't throw them away. In fact, the technology is coming around where the computer can look at a photo and tell you who it is from other known photos. For example, in my collection of 10s of thousands of photos on Google Photos, I can type "Abby" and many pictures of Abby will show up...Google is smart enough to extract facial information from any photo that might have "abby" in the title and show you photos that "look" like Abby. It's amazing.
Yes I use a lot of those external USB hard drives for music videos. I still worry that they could fail.
I'm starting to look at the external SSD drives. They are starting to drop in price.

You mentioned using DVDs. Was that just pictures or pictures and videos?

I'm very close to retirement so this is something I need to figure out.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Yes I use a lot of those external USB hard drives for music videos. I still worry that they could fail.
I'm starting to look at the external SSD drives. They are starting to drop in price.

You mentioned using DVDs. Was that just pictures or pictures and videos?

I'm very close to retirement so this is something I need to figure out.
The DVDs were just for the photographs (snap shots) I sent to VDOCS.

There are services that will take 8mm and VHS and convert those to DVD video too. Even Wal Mart does it: https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-...-film-transfer

External SSD is higher performing (good for your operating system hard drive like your C drive), not sure if it is more reliable but I'm sure it's a lot more expensive. For bulk storage of video you need a lot bytes and plain old hard drives will give you the most per dollar. Two terabyte SSD is over $600.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The DVDs were just for the photographs (snap shots) I sent to VDOCS.

There are services that will take 8mm and VHS and convert those to DVD video too. Even Wal Mart does it: https://www.dvdwalmart.com/services-...-film-transfer

External SSD is higher performing (good for your operating system hard drive like your C drive), not sure if it is more reliable but I'm sure it's a lot more expensive. For bulk storage of video you need a lot bytes and plain old hard drives will give you the most per dollar. Two terabyte SSD is over $600.
So when you sent the pictures to VDOCS they sent the scanned pictures back on DVD. Then you took the pictures and put them on the USB hard drive and also posted on Google. So the DVD would serve as a backup.

Did you put your videos on USB hard drive and Google too?

Is Google like Cloud?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:46 PM

Responses in bold:

Quote:
So when you sent the pictures to VDOCS they sent the scanned pictures back on DVD. YES plus they put them on a server if I wanted to download the 40+ gigabytes of data.

Then you took the pictures and put them on the USB hard drive YES, MULTIPLE Hard drives for backup redundancy. Hard drives are cheap and we have five or six PCs and laptops laying around our house.

and also posted on Google. YES, https://www.google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/

So the DVD would serve as a backup. Yes, but I doubt I'll ever need them with so many USB hard drives.

Did you put your videos on USB hard drive and Google too? YES. I have had digital video recorders since the late 1990s. I save those raw files (they're huge) on hard drives and google also copies them to Google Photos. Space is unlimited BUT the size of the photos is reduced...no big deal, they still are big enough for printing.

Is Google like Cloud? I think so.
Plus every photo and video I take from my phone is automatically uploaded to google but I still copy the photos and video from my phone to my PC manually ever month or so.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Responses in bold:

Plus every photo and video I take from my phone is automatically uploaded to google but I still copy the photos and video from my phone to my PC manually ever month or so.
Thanks for all the info.

This has always been a dilemma to me. I want to do it the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement