Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TV show that best matched your childhood life
My Three Sons 0 0%
Leave It To Beaver 11 36.67%
The Beverly Hillbillies 3 10.00%
The Flintstones 2 6.67%
The Jetsons 1 3.33%
The Rifleman 1 3.33%
Bonanza 3 10.00%
I Love Lucy 1 3.33%
Lassie 0 0%
Flipper 0 0%
The Addams Family 2 6.67%
The Munsters 0 0%
Dark Shadows 4 13.33%
Sesame Street 0 0%
The Peanuts Comic Strip — the heck with TV! 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 02:12 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,302,781 times

Advertisements

American Graffiti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 11:06 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,953,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
The Poll did not mention The Wonder Years. My childhood was like that show.
Yep! In California, with brothers, a stay at home mother and a chill dad so pretty well fit that model exactly.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:38 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,070,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
My Uncle the Martian, or whatever it was called
My Favorite Martian.

With Bill Bixby, and Ray Walston as the Martian whom Bixby's character passed off as his "Uncle Martin."

That was one of my favorite shows; I had a huge crush on Bill Bixby at that time although I never cared for watching him as The Incredible Hulk which is probably what he later became best known for.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,829,411 times
I voted Leave it to Beaver, it’s the closest, though my father was more strict and mean compared to Ward Cleaver.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:29 PM

2,396 posts, read 633,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
What TV show best matches your childhood family life? Inspired by the thread asking about our childhoods.

Feel free to name other TV shows if they fit better.
One Day at a Time - Single Mother - 3 daughters.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 PM

1,210 posts, read 896,875 times
The REAL Leave It To Beaver?

If Leave it to Beaver truly mirrored real life as it was back then, here's what the character descriptions might look like:

Ward Cleaver: Alcoholic, workaholic, beats his sons with a belt. Bones his secretary on the side. His country club won't allow minorities or Jews to be members. The neighborhood where he bought his home is deed-restricted to white Anglo-Saxon protestant homeowners only. Drives drunk.

June Cleaver: Pops prescription Nembutal (see Mother's Little Helper by the Rolling Stones), and has an unlimited refills script for amphetamine-based diet pills. Her woman's club membership restrictions mirror her husband's country club. Drives high.

Wally Cleaver: Pretends to like girls because of what he faces from family, friends, church and community if he were to be outed.

Beaver Cleaver: As the baby of the family, he's spoiled rotten. Wally resents him and makes his life as miserable as he can. Beaver has been regularly sexually abused by his pastor and little league coach since he was 5, but is afraid to say anything lest his abusers carry out their threats of killing his parents.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:42 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
The REAL Leave It To Beaver?

If Leave it to Beaver truly mirrored real life as it was back then, here's what the character descriptions might look like:

Ward Cleaver: Alcoholic, workaholic, beats his sons with a belt. Bones his secretary on the side. His country club won't allow minorities or Jews to be members. The neighborhood where he bought his home is deed-restricted to white Anglo-Saxon protestant homeowners only. Drives drunk.

June Cleaver: Pops prescription Nembutal (see Mother's Little Helper by the Rolling Stones), and has an unlimited refills script for amphetamine-based diet pills. Her woman's club membership restrictions mirror her husband's country club. Drives high.

Wally Cleaver: Pretends to like girls because of what he faces from family, friends, church and community if he were to be outed.

Beaver Cleaver: As the baby of the family, he's spoiled rotten. Wally resents him and makes his life as miserable as he can. Beaver has been regularly sexually abused by his pastor and little league coach since he was 5, but is afraid to say anything lest his abusers carry out their threats of killing his parents.
Good one!

My dad may have been a little bit like the good tv Ward Cleaver. However, you're spot on with what our town was like. Like most of the kids in my school, I had to attend a formal ballroom dancing class once a week. After enduring it for two years, I was really relieved when my dad found out that Jews were not allowed, something that I hadn't noticed either. He pulled me out of that class--and fast! He hated prejudice and taught us that it was wrong. Our town was Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish, about equally divided. It was the Catholics and Protestants keeping everyone else out, not WASPS. Actually everyone tried to keep out anyone who was different.

One time the entire neighborhood of Catholics, Protestants, and Jews went into a panic. Someone had seen a black family and they appeared to be looking at a house that was for sale. Everyone was worried about "property values." It was kind of funny when the home owner announced to the neighbors that the black family was not looking to buy their house. The black family were their friends, visiting!

My parents didn't care who moved in as along as they kept the property up and were clean and decent.

What we did have was a new superintendent of schools who came from the South and their family was very religious, Evangelical style. Well, what a hypocrite! He was found by a janitor at night having sex with the school secretary under a desk, lol. Caused a major scandal and he was practically run out of town. My dad didn't usually negatively of anyone, but he had despised that guy right from the beginning.

The very same prejudices that we deal with today, existed back then too. They could get away with it though and probably in some towns it was a whole lot worse that what I saw. I think the town has a few token blacks these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement