Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 PM

53 posts, read 38,657 times

Advertisements

Hi all, back again Ok now its almost time for me to file for my S.S. I was reading through the list of documents I need to present. One of the items on the list ( # 4) is the " Dates and places of each marriage, how they ended and when".

What if I don't have all this info? I don't remember my first husbands birthday.

Also, on the list was " names of employers & earnings for this year, last year, and next year."
What If I don't know what my earnings will be next year? Its hard for me to project that.

Ok so I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need to file so what are some things I need to know that I missed or need to know about when I go in. I plan to make an appt and file in person and I wanted to know how to ask about filing for ex spousal benefits above my own? Is there a specific program that falls under? Is there a specific way to ask for that? certain forms I need to fill out?

Is there someone out there who has been through this process that could shed some light on how to go about this? any advice would be welcomed and very much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Terylee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:06 AM

7,512 posts, read 4,263,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terylee View Post
Hi all, back again Ok now its almost time for me to file for my S.S. I was reading through the list of documents I need to present. One of the items on the list ( # 4) is the " Dates and places of each marriage, how they ended and when".

What if I don't have all this info? I don't remember my first husbands birthday.

Also, on the list was " names of employers & earnings for this year, last year, and next year."
What If I don't know what my earnings will be next year? Its hard for me to project that.

Ok so I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need to file so what are some things I need to know that I missed or need to know about when I go in. I plan to make an appt and file in person and I wanted to know how to ask about filing for ex spousal benefits above my own? Is there a specific program that falls under? Is there a specific way to ask for that? certain forms I need to fill out?

Is there someone out there who has been through this process that could shed some light on how to go about this? any advice would be welcomed and very much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Terylee
Your first husband's birthday is on your marriage certificate. The town your marriage took place in can print a copy of your certificate. Call the town to see if you need to come in person or can your order your certificate online.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 AM

456 posts, read 350,739 times
Next year's income is an estimate. If you are going to continue working, you should be able to estimate it from this year's regular (non OT) income.

If you are going to do it in person, they (SSA) can answer your question about getting your spousal amount if it's greater than your own is. Depending on your age, you may not be able to claim spousal SSA while letting your own continue to grow. I forget what the deadline for that is. I think if you're just now turning 65 you may be the last year that can do that.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:58 AM

15,256 posts, read 13,062,978 times
Quote:

I found mine on the Web. In his obituary.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:14 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,336,271 times
Quote:

Thanks a bunch!
Terylee
ooh ooh.... me, me.. Just order a new marriage certificate. It only asks for approx. dates or approx. year of the marriage, and your approx. exes birthdate so they can find it. Your marriage and divorce dates will show up on the new certificate. I was stressing over that part too, but it turned out to be the easiest. I'm pretty sure I filed for that online too.

You're entitled to SS from your ex spouse as long as you were married to him at least 10ys and 1 day. I don't know how to file for that though, but your local SS administration can help you with that.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Your first husband's birthday is on your marriage certificate. The town your marriage took place in can print a copy of your certificate. Call the town to see if you need to come in person or can your order your certificate online.

Thank you Yorktown Girl, I misplaced the marriage cert so I had to buy one yesterday and now I have his birthdate.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Default Spousal Claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
Next year's income is an estimate. If you are going to continue working, you should be able to estimate it from this year's regular (non OT) income.

If you are going to do it in person, they (SSA) can answer your question about getting your spousal amount if it's greater than your own is. Depending on your age, you may not be able to claim spousal SSA while letting your own continue to grow. I forget what the deadline for that is. I think if you're just now turning 65 you may be the last year that can do that.

Thank you Numsgal for your helpful reply. Yes he did in fact make more money than me. I do plan to continue working part time for about a year. My job hours vary alot because clients cancel and If there are no hours to pick up to replace then I make less which happens quite often. So I will really have to guesstimate what my income may be.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I found mine on the Web. In his obituary.

Oh dear!

Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 AM

[quote=elliedeee;55818371]ooh ooh.... me, me.. Just order a new marriage certificate. It only asks for approx. dates or approx. year of the marriage, and your approx. exes birthdate so they can find it. Your marriage and divorce dates will show up on the new certificate. I was stressing over that part too, but it turned out to be the easiest. I'm pretty sure I filed for that online too.

You're entitled to SS from your ex spouse as long as you were married to him at least 10ys and 1 day. I don't know how to file for that though, but your local SS administration can help you with that.

Thank you ellideee, I just went to the county bldg and got new cert copies because I somehow misplaced them. I know I would'nt have thrown them away as i knew someday I might need them. Now I have them for any future needs if arises. I was married to him for 17 yrs so yes I figured I was entitled to recieve a portion. I will hope the SSA will be knowledgeable and helpful to this information. Its kinda scary though because I have heard some 'not so good' things about the SSA employees and ppl getting less than they thought. I sure hope that won't be the case with me!

Thanks again elliedee

Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 AM

Default Thank you

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help and advice. you are all nice people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement