Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM

59 posts, read 43,713 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Phoenix, I visit family there at least once a year but I have no intention to move back there in retirement. I love all the mountains but the lack of green in the Valley is really pretty dull (Palo Verdes & cacti just don't do it for me). I've lived in North Carolina, Georgia, Tenn & currently Illinois and I've really come to love the green--although I much prefer the dry hot AZ summers to the humid ones, humidity sucks.

I can see a lot of the appeal though, the cost of living isn't bad, there is plenty to do there, they don't tax social security, and pensions are only partially taxed...you never have to worry about shoveling snow or a hurricane either. Also if you like the idea of retirement communities there are lots to choose from. If I had to choose between my current home in Illinois and Arizona I'd choose AZ hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 10:50 AM

5,951 posts, read 5,133,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
True. Snow and ice can be dangerous.

If i had to choose one, it would be Florida.

The lack of trees in Arizona and the forests don't count (lol) is not for me.

I "get" what you are saying about trees. There are trees, and then there are trees. I like the maples, oaks, here in NY state. I used to like pine trees at one time. Pretty at Christmas time. But when I moved to TX in 1993, I discovered I have an allergy to pine trees. I lived in Tyler where the pretty rose gardens are, while there and sitting under some pines, I got very uncomfortable with what I at first thought was a bad sinus problem. Have been back in NY since 1994 and still have a problem with pines.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,811,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The Villages is not in Southern FL. It's north of Orlando. And Orlando is north of the midpoint of FL.
My mistake. I thought it was further down.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:23 AM

3,303 posts, read 3,974,298 times
I lived in the Tempe/Scottsdale area for ten years, 1980-1990.

I go back all the time. You can buy a nice two bedroom condo for 200k. In California where I live a studio is 300k.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...ource=txtshare

Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM

48,643 posts, read 35,131,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I am really the "odd duck". After a lifetime lived in SoCal, I moved to North Idaho for my retirement years. After two winters here, I'm finding that I love it! I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

The snow and ice have not slowed me down, (well, except for not being able to ride my bicycle on the roads). Three season cycling is replaced by cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the wintertime. Sometimes fat biking.

If a northern Rocky Mountain state didn't work out for me, I would have probably relocated to the mountains of central Arizona. Not Flagstaff, (which I consider a "zoo"). Probably closer to Payson.

Yeah, we are moving to a tropical climate, to a place with all 4 seasons. The heat and humidity bother me now, and I do better with my RA in more temperate climates, and even colder.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-29-2019, 11:56 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,633,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why would anyone expect pecan trees in Arizona?

I've heard some crazy reasons to dislike a place but that might be the -- pun intended -- nuttiest one yet.

We have many different shade trees, not just pines and not grown closely together.
Arizona ranks forth among the states in pecan production.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,000,937 times
I've never understood the part about moving to AZ or FL to escape snow. There are many places that have very mild winters with little to no snow. And why move someplace that's hot hot hot??

I don't get it. I've always assumed that people who retire in AZ or FL must like to follow the crowd.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:17 PM

16,219 posts, read 10,890,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been to Arizona many times. I even thought i would move there.

The last time i went was in April a few years ago. We left in the morning from Texas. It was a nice chilly day.

We get there - it was horribly WARM. No way

I've only been to the panhandle of Florida. It was okay. But too humid. Even more than our south texas beaches.
It seems like most Texans heading to Arizona get to New Mexico and stop.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,341,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
“Lack of trees”?
"No trees" is the first thing my husband said when we visited Arizona. I didn't even notice "no trees." I guess if you are comparing it to the Midwest, then yes in comparison there are no trees. We have lots of trees. My husband even commented on how loud everything was (traffic mainly) without trees to buffer the sounds.

I was thrilled with no mosquitoes or flies or other bugs swarming me and my food when we sat outside and ate pizza in Scottsdale.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times
I could never understand the trend of retirees moving to Florida or Arizona with their hot climates. First, on retirement income they will have big electric bills for the AC. We left California (Bay Area) in part due to the heat, and even here in the Seattle area the hottest summer days in the 80s are hotter than I would like. We retire in 2-3 years and plan to find a smaller home on a larger lot within an hour or two of where we live now, staying in the nice cool, wet climate of the Northwest. Every year we get at least a month, sometimes two when neither the furnace nor the AC needs to be turned on, like today with daytime in the high 70s and night in the low 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement