Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 05:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In retirement, you think living on $5000 per month which is $60,000 per year is POOR??

Or, in retirement, even much less is poor?
When you're used to living on a six figure income, which is the case with the OP, it will be a challenge. There is no way we could live on that amount without a drastic change in lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 05:36 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post
Thanks for everything, everyone! Yes, I know 3-4K per month seems comfortable to many, but it's impossible to overstate how expensive it is to live in Massachusetts! When rents are 3000+ (way more in the city and in suburbs with good schools) and house payments are the same, I have no idea how anyone here lives with children on less than six figures.

What's hard is spending so much to live here in service of dh's job. Our daughter is up and out and we're free but for the job.

These posts really give me hope because of the practical ideas and overall support I'm getting. Thank you.

Oh, we've lived in the mid-west and I loved Iowa, especially, but don't want to move back. Dh and I are Yankees at heart and would rather be dealing with snow, etc., in VT or Maine than in the heartland.
Vt is not retirement friendly. Google search it. How about Florida or the Carolinas? Cheaper to live there.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post
We are all about moving to a lower COL area. COL in Vermont, NH, or Maine is comparable to COL in Iowa.
Maine might be a better choice. Vermont is one of the 13 states that taxes social security. It's also a very expensive state to live in.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:56 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
But for two people, though? For one person, sure, no problem on $60K. But two? Especially if having two cars is a necessity, which in some areas it is. (I know there's Uber, Lyft, etc but not everywhere and not everyone is comfortable using it; I would not be.)
I don't see why two retired people would HAVE to have two cars. I don't think of Uber etc. having never lived in an area where it was operating. But why would two people without daily commitments need two cars, especially if it was a financial difficulty? Also, one doesn't need a fancy car or SUV or whatever. I have always bought a minimal new car (like an entry level Toyota or something- my recent Subaru was a nod to moving to Colorado and buying one step up from entry level). Maintain the car like religion and have it for many years.

I had a Mazda 323 for 11 years of high-mileage commuting, then a Toyota Matrix for 15 years, and now a Subaru Crosstrek. Of course, if there were two of us, we would have needed two cars.

Just for example. Except for health care co-pays and some more food, I don't see why another person would be so expensive as to result in poverty living at that income.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't see why two retired people would HAVE to have two cars. I don't think of Uber etc. having never lived in an area where it was operating. But why would two people without daily commitments need two cars, especially if it was a financial difficulty? Also, one doesn't need a fancy car or SUV or whatever. I have always bought a minimal new car (like an entry level Toyota or something- my recent Subaru was a nod to moving to Colorado and buying one step up from entry level). Maintain the car like religion and have it for many years.

I had a Mazda 323 for 11 years of high-mileage commuting, then a Toyota Matrix for 15 years, and now a Subaru Crosstrek. Of course, if there were two of us, we would have needed two cars.

Just for example. Except for health care co-pays and some more food, I don't see why another person would be so expensive as to result in poverty living at that income.
One car simply doesn't work for every couple. We've been reduced to one car a few times and it's a headache. Now we have two vehicles at each house (main and winter), so each of us has a vehicle at all times. It really does make life simpler.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:14 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
There is a huge dif between 60K a year and you own your home, or have a reasonable mortgage.

60K and you pay full market for your housing? HUGE problem.

The OP is not considering Federal and State tax either.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2019, 06:21 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
One car simply doesn't work for every couple. We've been reduced to one car a few times and it's a headache. Now we have two vehicles at each house (main and winter), so each of us has a vehicle at all times. It really does make life simpler.
Certainly. But if you truly can't afford it...

Old 06-29-2019, 06:23 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Housing costs where the OP resides are outrageous. I own a small ranch (under 1000 sqft) just outside of Boston & the property taxes are 7k per year with no end in sight. 60k for 2 people in eastern Massachusetts is considered low income by just about every metric for the area.

The OP has her answer in her own question: take advantage of the senior housing complex in your affluent home town & you will not have to uproot yourselves at all.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:29 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Certainly. But if you truly can't afford it...
Right?

What the needs to do is sit down and list the "needs" and see if the budget covers the "needs." Then you can choose what "wants" and "conveniences" you to add.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2019, 06:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Well, obviously from an earlier post, I really cannot relate to any of this. But I am noticing people suggesting the OP check out the senior apartments.
I recall another poster in another thread who seems to have a generous income mentioned that they didn't want to try living in a small one-bedroom apartment, which is what the senior apartments would be.
So since the OP has a nice (in my opinion) income and is probably living in a nice home, why would they want to move into a senior retirement apartment.

I'm probably missing a lot of information but this is what I "heard."

I'm not judging. I might have at one time, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement