Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Fun thread! It validates my worldview that you're either for or against timeshares & cruises.
Personally I'm against but nothing wrong with either view.
The thing about a cruise is, you pay for it and you're done with it.

The thing about a timeshare is, that many many people would enjoy the vacation, its just the ongoing financial commitment that causes problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,967,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Thanks. I do know that the Disney timeshare is at the Old Key West property. Don't have any other details. The mother-in-law is very secretive about the whole deal.
So if you know the name and location of the place, have you looked at their website? You might be able to get some information there.

As to MIL's secrecy, tell her if she is planning to leave you something that will cost you money and aggravation, she owes you the details. Or maybe she is secretive because she doesn't understand the deal herself.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:18 AM

299 posts, read 255,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Thanks. I do know that the Disney timeshare is at the Old Key West property. Don't have any other details. The mother-in-law is very secretive about the whole deal.
That will definitely have some value so you should definitely take that one. Currently those timeshares are selling for ~ $90 a point depending on how many future points have already been used.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/old-key-west/

Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,790,524 times
Old Key West is one of the oldest Disney properties, but all the DVC properties are worth something. So you inherit it at the stepped up value, and sell it. Meanwhile, why not ask MIL if you can use the DVC points to plan a vacation? Especially if you've got kids. As she gets older, she may just be letting the points expire, rather than use them. She might be being secretive because she's hiding the fact that she's getting too old to manage it.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:32 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Old Key West is one of the oldest Disney properties, but all the DVC properties are worth something. So you inherit it at the stepped up value, and sell it. Meanwhile, why not ask MIL if you can use the DVC points to plan a vacation? Especially if you've got kids. As she gets older, she may just be letting the points expire, rather than use them. She might be being secretive because she's hiding the fact that she's getting too old to manage it.
But it's also one of the most popular because it has the largest rooms.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,668,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Never dealt with an older relative, much less their estate planning, have you? Often times it isn't worth the argument. They could feel that your insulting their financial intelligence, that you're unappreciative, take it personally that you don't want to vacation the way they do, and so on.
Just most of my adult life. I am probably as old as the mother.

There is nothing wrong with telling them you don't want something. I've also gone the other way not to hurt feelings. It depends on the person and the item. If it's something you can just throw away when their gone let them be happy. If it causes problems, money, and time it's time to be honest.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:34 AM

16,110 posts, read 10,775,000 times
My daughter will get mine. She hasn't mentioned a preference -- yet. I still use it mostly for yearly fishing trips alone or with friends. It is expensive for a single person...better for a family and we used it a lot.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:04 PM

545 posts, read 1,606,175 times
The Disney one you can either re-sell or you cna rent out the points for way more than the annual fee. There are several companies that handle this. Also, the DVC timeshares are only good for a certain number of years (40 I think?); they are not forever. So, depending on how long it's been since the purchase, you might not have as many years with it anyway.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:53 AM

2,607 posts, read 2,299,279 times
My sister paid $75,000 for three weeks at the Maui Marriott years ago. We had a terrible time trying to sell them. finally sold them on EBay for a few thousand dollars. The fees are high and if they have a spec assessment for renovations, you have to pay it.
I would never buy a timeshare, I wouldn’t take one for free either.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:21 AM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times
yep , for free i wouldn't take one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement