Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:08 PM

104 posts, read 84,911 times

Advertisements

I was quoted 4-5k over the phone for one tooth on the right upper side. I'm in Calif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Although the main purpose of this thread is to seek advice for me, personally, I also think that there are many seniors who are facing loss of teeth in their old age, too, and so I am putting this here on the Retirement forum to get advice for both myself and for seniors in general.

I am 65, and I have had two root canals and crowns and one implant, and I still have two missing teeth in the back. I have had at least a dozen deep-scaling treatments in the past 30 years or so, and I have usually been on a every-three-months regular cleaning schedule. My gum problems are in large part genetic, but they are also due to crooked teeth and lazy dental hygiene on my part. (Yes, I do acknowledge and take responsibility for my part in my problems, so no scolding, please and thank you.)

Well, my regular dentist retired from practice two years ago and so I went to a new dentist, and after another round of deep scaling treatments, he persuaded me to have an implant done on the gap that was most noticeable, but I have never been happy with with the implant. There is a gap at the gum line between it and the next tooth, meaning that food getting stuck is a constant problem, and so I was very unhappy that the dentist persuaded me to have it done.

So, yesterday, I went to see another dentist, who suggested orthodontia. I said that I did not want that, due to my age and the time and cost involved. He then suggested getting some kind of antibiotic tray (cost: $850, and insurance would not pay for that) in addition to continuing with the deep scalings and cleanings schedule I was on. However, he said that even if I did that and even if I was absolutely scrupulous about cleanings, both personal and professional, that probably, at most, I would be able to keep most of my teeth for ten years, instead of the five years I would probably have otherwise. So, in other words, even if I did spend all that money and time and effort, I would still probably lose many of my teeth, anyway -- and so I would either need a bridge or a partial denture, anyway. (I will not take a chance on more implants after my experience with the first one -- btw, both the implant dentist and the new dentist said that the problem with the implant gap could not be fixed.)

So I told him that I questioned whether continuing to spend at least a thousand dollars a year would be worth it if I will lose most of my teeth within the next ten years no matter what I do. He said that he understood my reasoning and concern, but that 35% of people who get dentures in old age are highly dissatisfied with them, and that they would have gladly spent many thousands of dollars to keep their natural teeth for even a few more years. However, I am a "cost vs. benefit" kind of person, and I think that I should just continue to have deep cleanings, and then just get a partial denture or bridge when I lost a front tooth -- and then just add artificial teeth as needed. (I do not want to chance another implant; in fact, I was happier with the gap!)

However, what you would do in my case? I would especially appreciate hearing from people who have had to make the same decision that I am facing.

Thanks in advance.
If I were you I would post this in the dental forum, there are a few real dentists there who might give you advice. In my experience I would run as as fast as I could if a dentist suggested an "antibiotic tray", the big clue to why that's a joke is that no insurance will cover it. The dentist is probably part of a corporate dental group usually run by hedge funds whose entire goal is to maximize profits with no thought to what a patient actually needs.

Don't give in and get dentures unless you are told that is your only option by a good dentist! Get advice from a periodontist or find a reputable local dentist. If you use "next door" you can ask your neighbors for recommendations.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Thank you for all the advice!

I am not sure what I am going to do yet, but I certainly appreciate all the input!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
.... to get advice for both myself and for seniors in general.
Like with the plumber or HVAC guy... have someone you trust BEFORE something breaks.

When I relocated here I made a point of finding a busy office in a nice neighborhood...
and where the Dentist is young enough to likely be there for the next 25 years.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 AM

2,603 posts, read 2,291,657 times
My sister lives in Arizona and went to a dental school near her house. She got the most natural set of porcelain veneers for half the price her dentist quoted. It took a long time to do the work though, you have to be very patient.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
two of my relatives have had several implants and other dental work done in Progreso, mexico, a town just across the border from corpus Christi, for 1/3 the cost of dentists in America. their dentist is also an American who practices in mexico. he and his wife have both been very happy with the work.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:40 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Although the main purpose of this thread is to seek advice for me, personally, I also think that there are many seniors who are facing loss of teeth in their old age, too, and so I am putting this here on the Retirement forum to get advice for both myself and for seniors in general.

I am 65, and I have had two root canals and crowns and one implant, and I still have two missing teeth in the back. I have had at least a dozen deep-scaling treatments in the past 30 years or so, and I have usually been on a every-three-months regular cleaning schedule. My gum problems are in large part genetic, but they are also due to crooked teeth and lazy dental hygiene on my part. (Yes, I do acknowledge and take responsibility for my part in my problems, so no scolding, please and thank you.)

Well, my regular dentist retired from practice two years ago and so I went to a new dentist, and after another round of deep scaling treatments, he persuaded me to have an implant done on the gap that was most noticeable, but I have never been happy with with the implant. There is a gap at the gum line between it and the next tooth, meaning that food getting stuck is a constant problem, and so I was very unhappy that the dentist persuaded me to have it done.

So, yesterday, I went to see another dentist, who suggested orthodontia. I said that I did not want that, due to my age and the time and cost involved. He then suggested getting some kind of antibiotic tray (cost: $850, and insurance would not pay for that) in addition to continuing with the deep scalings and cleanings schedule I was on. However, he said that even if I did that and even if I was absolutely scrupulous about cleanings, both personal and professional, that probably, at most, I would be able to keep most of my teeth for ten years, instead of the five years I would probably have otherwise. So, in other words, even if I did spend all that money and time and effort, I would still probably lose many of my teeth, anyway -- and so I would either need a bridge or a partial denture, anyway. (I will not take a chance on more implants after my experience with the first one -- btw, both the implant dentist and the new dentist said that the problem with the implant gap could not be fixed.)

So I told him that I questioned whether continuing to spend at least a thousand dollars a year would be worth it if I will lose most of my teeth within the next ten years no matter what I do. He said that he understood my reasoning and concern, but that 35% of people who get dentures in old age are highly dissatisfied with them, and that they would have gladly spent many thousands of dollars to keep their natural teeth for even a few more years. However, I am a "cost vs. benefit" kind of person, and I think that I should just continue to have deep cleanings, and then just get a partial denture or bridge when I lost a front tooth -- and then just add artificial teeth as needed. (I do not want to chance another implant; in fact, I was happier with the gap!)

However, what you would do in my case? I would especially appreciate hearing from people who have had to make the same decision that I am facing.

Thanks in advance.
I'm going for 3 opinions. The 1st was a local dentist. The 2nd was a dental school who then sent me to Penn University. They said that Penn is more set up to offer me care without breaking the bank. I need all of my teeth pulled with either dentures or some implants because I really do not want dentures on the top as I hear they're miserable because they cover the pallet, you will not taste food the same way.

I took care of my teeth all of my life. I've had caps and root canals done trying to save my teeth. The worst mistake I made was having my 4 top front teeth capped. The dentist that did them put them in slanted and they're too long, I look like I have bucked teeth. He refused to fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If I were you I would post this in the dental forum, there are a few real dentists there who might give you advice. In my experience I would run as as fast as I could if a dentist suggested an "antibiotic tray", the big clue to why that's a joke is that no insurance will cover it. The dentist is probably part of a corporate dental group usually run by hedge funds whose entire goal is to maximize profits with no thought to what a patient actually needs.

Don't give in and get dentures unless you are told that is your only option by a good dentist! Get advice from a periodontist or find a reputable local dentist. If you use "next door" you can ask your neighbors for recommendations.
Agree that posting in dental is a good idea. I've never heard of an antibiotic tray, will have to read some of the google results.

I agree, the message board NextDoor is a good one to get advice from. Also seeing if there is a local facebook group. We have a facebook group for the development I live in as well as a town group. I've used all 3 sites to get feedback for things as some times it's needed.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-06-2019 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 06:22 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the implant. I've just had my fifth one placed and am THRILLED with the previous 4, which I've gotten over a period of about 10 years. (I jokingly tell people I'm replacing my teeth one by one on the installment plan.) I'm surprised they can't fix the gap issue by taking out the existing fake tooth (it's just screwed in) and replacing it with one that fits the space properly. That would be far less expensive than the original implant since the titanium plate in your jaw would remain undisturbed. By the way, there are a few good reasons to fill that gap- it's not just a revenue stream for the dentist. First, the surrounding teeth will move into that space over time and your teeth will be out of alignment. Second, the teeth on either side of the gap are unsupported on one side. I feel it now with my missing molar; I eat a lot of crunchy vegetables and worry that I'll bite one the wrong way and chip off an edge of one of the teeth on either side of the gap. Finally, nutrition can be a problem with seniors who have bad or missing teeth. It limits what they can eat and that often includes healthy things like fresh fruits and vegetables.

I'm on the side of keeping your natural teeth as long as possible and I echo what GreatBlueHeron said about dentures. The jawbone shrinks because it no longer gets the stimulation of chewing by the teeth, the dentures don't fit, you get new dentures, the jawbone shrinks more, rinse and repeat. It's painful to watch someone with ill-fitting dentures try to talk or eat (more painful for them, I'm sure). It's also not a reversible decision! I'd get denture implants before that (dentures anchored by implants places at various points in the mouth). They'd cost as much as a new car but it would be worth it.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:08 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
If there is a dental college nearby, I would suggest going to them. I had private dentists suggest implants years ago, but after visiting with the dental college, they said I would be fine without any work (based on the position of my teeth), so I went that route.
My situation is similar to yours, OP, even with losing my dentist of forty years. I have a new, very up to date dentist who is very expensive but I have begun going to our dental collage for my exams and deep cleanings. The price is minimal and I think much more thorough than my regular dentist.

I get the opinions of the student, her teacher and their supervising dentist so it's like having three separate consultations. And since they don't do dental work I don't have to worry about them having a personal interest in what they recommend.

I have a missing tooth that is visible if I smile very widely and after research have decided to go with dentures. My reasoning is this: At my age (a little older than you) and condition I expect my dental health to be constantly in flux. Any permanent changes would probably have to be undone to accommodate all the previous work already in my mouth. And, finally, I can wear the denture in my public life but if it is too uncomfortable, taking it out will leave me in no worse condition than I am at present.

I am excited about having it made for me in Mexico this spring at a dentist I have been using as my vacation dentist. He has a good reputation, was trained in Mexico City and costs about a quarter of what I pay in the States.

Like you I am trying to balance all factors involved.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
After the dentist I'd been going to for nearly 15 yrs passed away I was on the search for someone new.

One dentist I tried claimed I needed to have every crown replaced, plus a list of other items that was very long. When I asked about the cost he said, "We've already contacted your insurance." He refused to tell me what any of it would cost out of pocket so I left. Found out that was his usual reply to anyone who wanted to know about the costs.

The next practice had so many dentists coming and going that everyone of them gave a different action plan. There was one root canal needed and I was referred to an endodontist since it was a molar. I really respected him and his opinions and advised I was on the search for a dentist that was sincere and not out to rip me off. He asked me to provide a list and from there he selected several (he advised he normally would not do that but knew I'd been having difficulty finding a good dentist).

I chose one he recommended and have been going to him for over 4 yrs and finally lucked out! He told me my teeth are fine and no additional work is required. Others have said that if he says work needs to be done it's true, not just a chance for him to cash in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement