Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:21 PM

134 posts, read 114,073 times

Advertisements

The wife and I have had both doses of the Shingrex vaccine, several months ago. Me - first shot resulted in arm swelling up a little, with a medium fever the next day resulting in me staying home. Kind of like the flu with achy joints. Second shot, no problems. Wife - first shot no problems. Second shot, she felt a little under the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,556,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Did you have any problems?
Nope.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,233,787 times
I've had the first dose. My arm was surprisingly tender for a few days, but no flu-like symptoms. My sister did feel crummy after the second dose but not after the first. Still 1000x better than shingles!

The Shingrix web site has a vaccine finder function:

https://www.shingrix.com/shingles-vaccine-locator.html

The pharmacies I've checked with have been prioritizing patients who need their second dose over first-time patients.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 AM

1,205 posts, read 939,122 times
I had my two shots last year. Barely got the second one in time due to the shortage. First one I had pain and soreness for a few days, not unbearable, but enough to remember. The second one, I planned to take it easy and coddle myself for a few days, but the second one wasn’t as bad. Either way, beats getting shingles.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,781,577 times
Just an FYI...

Doc ordered Shingrix for me and I went to the pharmacy today. They told me they have a waiting list of over 200 people and don't expect a new shipment until March or April. I live in Maui, and we seem to often be the last to get things like this, but the pharmacy is Costco, so I assume it comes from their warehouse on the mainland.

Anyone else seeing delays?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,046,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Up on the CDC wesbite, it says 2-6 months apart. It also says that, due to a run on the vaccine over the holidays, there is currently a shortage of the second shot, which they expect to ease next month.
How can there be a shortage of the "second shot" when both shots are the same? it's just two doses of the same vaccine, not something different the second time you get the shot. (At least that's what two pharmacists told me.)

Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,613,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There is a time line
If you wait too long between 1 and 2 then you have to start over
It is basically the same ingredients from what my doctor (who also has a pharmacy degree) said
So I don’t know what the big deal is about being out of dose 2
They're out of Shingrix. Yes, same stuff for both doses. The big deal is for those who are coming up to six months after the first dose. If you can't get the second dose in time, you have to start over.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,085 posts, read 21,209,403 times
There have been difficulties getting the vaccine to pharmacies since it first came out.
We have a phamacy in our store so I was able to get my first shot when the vaccine first came out. When it came time for the second shot....well, I had to ask our pharmacist weekly if they had received another shipment yet. Usually the answer was "not this week" and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to receive the second dose in the allowed time frame. Whenever a shipment came in it was usually gone within the day because there were always so many patients waiting on their second dose, and after the initial release back in the spring they almost never had enough to start giving new patients a first dose.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,460,528 times
We had the first of the Second Vaccine in October.

Then we moved out of state.

Looking to schedule the second shot soon.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:53 AM

587 posts, read 445,799 times
I'm in my late 50's and got the first shot last July and the second one in September. I received both of them at my doctor's office and they didn't seem to have a shortage. Both times I had a very sore arm for a few days and a fever and flu like symptoms for 24 hours. I have read several places that the younger you are when you receive the vaccine the more reaction you have to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement