Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times

Advertisements

I have friends who bought into the whole Sun City scene and seemed to enjoy it. They stayed about five years and then sold out and moved back to the midwest. Two things seemed to send them back: oppressive heat and isolation from family and grandkids. People who move away from friends and family need to realize that the highways only work in one direction - to take you to visit them and not the other way around. If that is an important factor you need to budget for travel to see relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:17 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Jimrob --

I own a condo there, which I inherited. Yes, we have a monthly HOA fee; mine is about $225/mo but it includes water and some condo insurance. The Rec Center fee must be paid each year per resident in the home. Yes, even if you are bedridden you must pay the Rec Center fee. This is needed to pay for the staff and up-keep of the Centers; the model will not work economically if residents are allowed to opt-out.

There is a great hospital in Sun City, Boswell Hospital, owned by Banner. There is one in Sun City West called Del Webb Hospital, also part of the Banner system. There are many doctors and dentists in the area. There is a shuttle service to the airport if you do not wish to drive or pay for parking.

I hope this helps!

There are many ways to meet people: clubs and organizations, churches
Thanks Hollyhock. Yes the info definitely helps. I wonder when.the condo units need roof repair or painting. How is that paid for on attached units. Does the insurance cover it, or do the owners pay into a fund to cover the cost. Thanks

Old 08-01-2019, 09:41 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Would really like to hear from those that spend time there.
Hotty, hot, hot

Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
The 3 months of hot weather beats the 9 months of lousy winters back east, the tornadoes, the hurricanes, the earthquakes, rain rain rain with extreme humidity, potholes, fires, etc.
Take your ideal day in the spring or fall and the Phoenix area has that 90% of the time.
If you like the 4 seasons then this is not the place for you.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The 3 months of hot weather . . . . .
Only 3 months? I guess if you consider "hot" to be above 100 degrees F, then yes, there are 3 months of that. Plus another month on either end in the 90's, which I also consider hot.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Only 3 months? I guess if you consider "hot" to be above 100 degrees F, then yes, there are 3 months of that. Plus another month on either end in the 90's, which I also consider hot.

I recall reading that the Phoenix area has ~160 days of 90 and above. That's over 5 months. No thank you.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:23 PM

421 posts, read 391,025 times
We are nearly packed and ready to move into our home in Sun City Festival (west of Sun City 25 miles). Yes it is hot but we are moving to our adult children. Both in Phoenix metro. Yes it is hot, but family is there. Makes a huge difference.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:37 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
We had friends there that were snowbirds without leaving the state. They spent winters in SCW and went up to the high country in summer. Flagstaff is at 7000' and The Sun Cities are at 1100'. That makes a huge difference in climate.

We had a one story townhouse condo in SCW. There was the annual Recreation fee that is mandated by your deed.
The homeowners monthly covered sewer, water, garbage and exterior maintenance. Ours were in 6 unit buildings when a roof was needed, they all got new roofs. Since they were all the same age they all needed it. Same for painting.

If the HOA board does things correctly there should be no need for "assessments". Funds should be set aside for repairs.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:37 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We had friends there that were snowbirds without leaving the state. They spent winters in SCW and went up to the high country in summer. Flagstaff is at 7000' and The Sun Cities are at 1100'. That makes a huge difference in climate.

We had a one story townhouse condo in SCW. There was the annual Recreation fee that is mandated by your deed.
The homeowners monthly covered sewer, water, garbage and exterior maintenance. Ours were in 6 unit buildings when a roof was needed, they all got new roofs. Since they were all the same age they all needed it. Same for painting.

If the HOA board does things correctly there should be no need for "assessments". Funds should be set aside for repairs.
Thanks that is very helpful info.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:41 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Which one? There are a few along Bell Road. Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand.

My mother lives in Arizona Traditions, which is a little farther west on Bell and a little less expensive. She loves it there, but I couldn't stand the 110 degree summers. One of my in laws has a "snow bird" home in Sun City that he rents out. I've stayed there once for a few days. It was OK.

Traffic along Bell Rd is horrendous.
My cousins live off of Bell Road in Surprise. I didn't think the traffic was too bad

One thing i did like about Phoenix was the nice wide freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement