Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM

12,080 posts, read 8,479,970 times

Advertisements

I've told you about my coworker with no legs who had a bumper sticker which read, "I'd gladly trade my parking spot for your legs."

I used to have a friend with MS. Once while eating lunch together she developed a case of the staggers on her way to the restroom and some people at a table made remarks about her being drunk so early in the day. It was really cringeworthy.

Finally - my mom and dad, the people who made it impossible for me to help them in their final years. Mom called one day in the winter and said they were having to curtail their little trips out to the shopping center because if they couldn't find a spot close to the doors they were no longer able to make the trek through a frozen or slushy parking lot. Dad was falling a lot and she had a healing broken hip.

I told her I'd make arrangements for them to get a handicapped tag. She was horrified. "Don't do that! What if someone finds out we're not handicapped?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,679,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
So. Do you get stares and questionable looks when you park in a handicapped space, even sometimes WITH the hang tag?
I have a hang tag - sometimes I need to use it and other times, I don't. I only use it when I need it and if there's only one handicap space available, I won't use it no matter how awful I'm doing that day, because I would hate to take that last space away from someone who might need it a lot more than I do - someone in a wheelchair or on crutches, for example. I can walk, it's just sometimes really hard for me.

If anyone has ever given me a dirty look or whatever, I haven't noticed that because I don't care what anyone else thinks. I guess I probably have gotten those looks, because my reason for having the tag is not visible to anyone else. Oh, well - that's their problem and not mine. I've never noticed it. If anyone ever said something to me about it, I'm not sure what my reaction would be. I guess it would depend on what mood I'm in. I might just totally ignore them, or I might say something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
No - I have DV plates for my car - disabled veteran.

Who the hell cares what other people think.
Exactly! I don't care one iota and I'm baffled by how many others do care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have never understood why so many people are concerned about what others think of them. The opposite should be true. Life rewards us for not caring what others think at least that is the way I feel. I don't need to be concerned about prevailing religious beliefs, living the ways others believe I should, wearing the trends and fashions, buying status cars, houses, or furniture. There can be a lot of freedom and joy in not being part of the herd.

"The entire encounter was simply caused by this woman's self-appointed role as judge of the universe." Maybe that is part of it, but the big issue is the number of people who care what she says.
Yes - it all goes back to caring what other people think. Ridiculous, in my opinion. And it does seem that there are way too many people who self appoint themselves as judge of the universe!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,614,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yesterday, my other half was driving my van when we stopped at the pharmacy for me to get my script filled and picked up. My OH said that an older gentlemen walked by, tapped the hood, pointed to tge ground and then did the ",im watching you" finger pointing to his eyes, then at my OH.
My OH said apparently the gentleman thought we were parked illegally in the handicapped space ( there were 2 other spaces available too next to us.)

I said id have gotten out and given him a what-for. Id have asked what the F was his problem was? If it was over parked with no hangtag, id have certainly drawn his attention immediately to, and forcefully educated him, on the use of handicapped plates in no uncertain terms!!!

My OH didnt want a confrontation, so declined to do so.

Its a good thing i missed it!

So. Do you get stares and questionable looks when you park in a handicapped space, even sometimes WITH the hang tag?

There was an article in our local paper about this exact scenario. Both disabled, passenger went into store and driver, with valid tag, stayed in the vehicle in a handicapped spot. Code Enforcement informed the driver that if he stayed with the vehicle he was supposed to drop the passenger off at the door and park in a regular spot and pick the passenger up at the door when he came out. Had the driver also gone in, there would have been no problem parking in the handicapped spot.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,985,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There was an article in our local paper about this exact scenario. Both disabled, passenger went into store and driver, with valid tag, stayed in the vehicle in a handicapped spot. Code Enforcement informed the driver that if he stayed with the vehicle he was supposed to drop the passenger off at the door and park in a regular spot and pick the passenger up at the door when he came out. Had the driver also gone in, there would have been no problem parking in the handicapped spot.
That is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard. I think the officer made it up.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,080,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Only one person in the car needs to be handicapped to park there. I would think a lot of professional athletes (the retired ones) have lots of injuries and pain to deal with. Goes back to "just because you can't see it, doesn't mean the pain isn't there"
That's what I thought at first too. A couple of them were interviewed and more or less said they were too important to walk to the event. I was going to say with the regular people but tickets cost thousands per person so there weren't too many average people there.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:58 AM

7,040 posts, read 4,925,291 times
A year ago, I used to be able to do my shopping all in one day, hitting 4 or 5 stores within a couple of hours. Just last month I went to one store and I was so worn out by that I gave the others a pass. I've been declared disabled and for the first time I'm thinking of getting a handicapped plate. I'm afraid of how that would go over, though.

As I walk in, I look OK, sort of bent over and not really fast, but OK. But I have to lean on the cart as I shop and by the time I pay, I can barely stand and the sweat is just pouring off me because my back hurts so bad. I not only look handicapped when I come out of the store, I look like I'm ready to hit the ground in a dead faint. But of course, the people who see me when I go in aren't going to be the same people who see me coming out. So I know there may be some people who decide to tell me off.

I'm not really concerned for me, but I am concerned for their safety. I might only be able to stand for a couple of minutes, but I can swing my purse pretty darn hard while I am standing.

Seriously though, I'm just not sure I want to deal with cretins who think I'm capable of running a marathon if I'm not in a wheelchair.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:20 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've told you about my coworker with no legs who had a bumper sticker which read, "I'd gladly trade my parking spot for your legs."

I used to have a friend with MS. Once while eating lunch together she developed a case of the staggers on her way to the restroom and some people at a table made remarks about her being drunk so early in the day. It was really cringeworthy.

Finally - my mom and dad, the people who made it impossible for me to help them in their final years. Mom called one day in the winter and said they were having to curtail their little trips out to the shopping center because if they couldn't find a spot close to the doors they were no longer able to make the trek through a frozen or slushy parking lot. Dad was falling a lot and she had a healing broken hip.

I told her I'd make arrangements for them to get a handicapped tag. She was horrified. "Don't do that! What if someone finds out we're not handicapped?"
Haha, but my mother was like that! My mom's only sister had cerebral palsy and spent most of her life in a wheelchair. Then she married my father who as I mentioned had lost his legs in the war and walked on prosthetic legs, but sometimes when the stumps became infected there would be periods when he needed a wheelchair.

Even as she entered her 80s and started having some walking issues from bursitis in the hip and an old broken bone in the foot (she will tell you to this day that it is my father's fault she broke her foot because he had gotten out of his wheelchair and left it in the hallway and she tripped over it while carrying laundry), she got ruffled at the idea of getting a handicapped tag because she wasn't handicapped like her sister and her husband were.

Three years ago she had a quadruple bypass and also started kidney dialysis. She drives herself to the dialysis center three times a week and so she finally went ahead and got the tag so she can park in a handicapped spot near the door. She will be 90 in November.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,778,706 times
I have a hangtag which I ALWAYS use. But the number of times I've had anyone give me a hard time is zero. Maybe they can see that I have difficulty walking. I have reported several cars to our DMV (California)which were parked in handicap spaces without a ticker or hangtag. Unfortunately the DMV doesn't follow up with us.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,142,455 times
that idea of "who cares what others think" works both ways. It seems to me that all those who park in the HC spots that in fact don't have tags or need the space have that same attitude.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:42 AM

6,636 posts, read 7,374,175 times
I have not notice a problem with people seeing me park but do have a problem with people parking where they should not.

In some states you do not have a plate on the front of the car.

I would not worry about it and would not feel I have to use the hang tag.

If you do not have a plate on the front of your car then using the hang tag at events would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement