Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,896,111 times

Advertisements

I live on a dead end road in the middle of nowhere, anyone comes here is either lost, drunk and lost, or a burglar. No trick or treaters ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 11:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 938,042 times
Love trick or treat, but....We don’t have all that many kids on our island, and my first year, not a single kid came to our house. So every year since then, I’ve gone to the community trunk or treat on Halloween night. At first it was in a church parking lot. After a couple cold, rainy years, it was moved indoors to the church hall. They have supper and games for the kids, the adults claim their chairs at the long tables, and everybody has a good time. The adults decorate their little space on the table, and sometimes dress up. I always set out snack sized salty treats for kids who prefer Cheetos to chocolate.

And we certainly don’t have to worry about boatloads or planeloads of kids from other neighborhoods coming in to grab our goodies. Heck, if they came, we'd grab them to increase our school numbers and never let them leave. Give ‘em a candy bar a day.

I was aggrieved last year when I had to fly to the mainland on Halloween day for jury duty and missed it. And I wasn’t even selected. Humph.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:37 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,655,564 times
Where I live in Fort Worth, Texas, people drive to our neighborhood for their children to trick or treat, creating a dangerous traffic snarl. I guess they think our candy is better here.... The last couple of years I've given out candy, but not this year. I do not want to be a part of the problem.

And I do not like opening my door. Some of the "kids" were adults last year and it was pretty weird.

Going to turn off all outside light, put the car in the garage, etc.

No more.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:40 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Buy tons of candy!!!

Old 10-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,032,112 times
We're in one of the largest developments in our town so there are a lot of kids. Many invite their friends over because it's much easier to trick or treat here than in the more rural parts of town. One year I kept count and we had 275 kids come to the door. Now that our kids are grown my wife answers the door which is great because she teaches in the elementary school and she knows every kid and vice versa.

Our cul-de-sac decorates for Halloween and we have a small block party the weekend before. It's all good, very enjoyable.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
I haven't had a trick or treater in years.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:06 PM

1,305 posts, read 859,054 times
After years of apartment living and few to no trick or treaters, I was thrilled when I bought my first house to have droves of trick or treaters! One year I bought six bags of candy and ran out! As others noted, over the years the kids grew up and moved away, so not as many now. This year, I am all packed up and ready to move on and didn't even get out the Halloween decorations. Kind of sad. But, I will still be giving out candy to anyone who shows up at the door!

Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,917,807 times
Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences! Interesting how many of us have seen our neighborhoods change over the years. It is also interesting to see how different areas have established new traditions. I am now in a subdivision of 100 houses with no through streets and we have sidewalks. Even though the houses are much bigger than the ones in my previous neighborhood (not mine...I bought the smallest house in the subdivision), they are closer to the street. I think we are a great setting for door-to-door trick-or-treating. My dogs will be the ones hiding in the back bedroom on Halloween!

Old 10-13-2018, 12:33 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,932,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
We love to see the kids coming in costume, the little ones are the best and they make our night by just being so wide eyed and happy to be getting free candy. It's one of those traditions that allow for some real costume innovation and a good excuse for a party. Yeah, we love it!
I take note of what costume is popular each year. Of course you always see the witch and skeleton. But often it's the character in the latest movie.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:45 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
We were the only house for blocks with our light on... a few years back we had three kids come, the next year none. So we turned off our light, too.

I miss it actually. We enjoyed the little ones dressed up.

So, I make something good, like pulled beast sandwiches, with graveyard slaw, and devils food cupcakes for us. I mean, Halloween can still be fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement