Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 10:40 AM

679 posts, read 882,904 times

Advertisements

I’m missing the sense of adventure I had when I was younger, working on a cruise ship and then for a major airline as a flight attendant. Between my brain damaged husband, two cats and my physical limitations, it’s harder to be spontaneous or travel easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 04:28 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,129,012 times
"What is missing in your life and what can you do about it? "
Pretty sure this is intended for people to write about what they wish they had and how could they get it.

I thought about this and a different thing occurred to me.
What is missing from my life? Fear. Worry. Sadness, and much more. Being cheated on. Being used.

There is no way I would care to have any of that back.

Without it, I'm doing just fine.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:09 PM

14,287 posts, read 14,834,878 times
NYgal brought up an interesting perspective. Other than getting old and my wife passing 4 years ago, I am much better off then when I was younger. One hell of a lot less stress especially concerning money, employment, etc.

Fortunately I got to do many things in life and my bucket list was drained with the exception of becoming The Benevolent Dictator of the United States........LOL

Old 09-29-2019, 05:19 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,319,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
NYgal brought up an interesting perspective. Other than getting old and my wife passing 4 years ago, I am much better off then when I was younger. One hell of a lot less stress especially concerning money, employment, etc.

Fortunately I got to do many things in life and my bucket list was drained with the exception of becoming The Benevolent Dictator of the United States........LOL
I am also lucky that i got to do so many interesting things when i was younger. Went to all sorts of places.

Sometimes i feel weird just wanting to relax and stay at home when i see older folks wanting to go, see, and do things.

But then i realize, they didn't get to do this when they were younger.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:42 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,961,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Sadly, that's a bargain.

According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services:
  • TOTAL healthcare consumption in the USA was about $3.5 trillion in 2017.
  • There were about 326 million people in the USA in 2017.

Do the math.

Divide $3.5 trillion by 326 million people. We consumed over $10,700 in health care products and services for every man, woman and child in the country in 2017. (Other sources place the estimate at above $11,000 per person).

That hypothetical retired couple you reference are not paying their share.

Their share of consumption in 2017 was (2 people x $10,739 per person)/(12 months per year) = $1790 per month.

When that retired couple pays only $500 +/- per month, they are not carrying their own weight. Someone else is picking up the extra tab to the tune of about $1790 - $500 = $1290 per month.

Who is it who is picking up the tab? Look around. It is the rest of us -- those of us who pay MORE than $1790 per month for a couple.

All of the calls for "Single Payer" in reality are calls for "Someone Else Pay For Me."
Not really. US residents wonder why other nations pay so much smaller a percentage of their GDP for medical services.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ure_per_capita is there a good reason the US should spend twice as much as neighboring Canada?

Last edited by pvande55; 09-30-2019 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: Add link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement