Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 04:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It's not poor planning or spending money on expensive cars and the latest whiz bang tech...

43% of US families can't afford basics like rent and food
Except that those same people are eating and renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 04:53 PM

765 posts, read 473,560 times
wow, i live on two thirds less than you..... and though i no longer can willy-nilly do whatever i used to love to do (broadway shows every week, vacation up in Maine, attend the Dodge Poetry Fest way back home in Joisey every 2 years)....still, i feel i want for nothing. I never was outrageously into designer clothes nor those ridiculous designer handbags and shoes, but instead of buying the latest newest book on the NYTIMES list, I do haunt used book stores, I buy most everything in thrift stores, down here in the south they are practically on every street corner, i still give generously, almost to my detriment, i save itty bitty amounts from gas or food budget and in times of need i had that little fund i could dole out to the red cross during Maria, Harvey, Irma or international organizations like doctors without borders to help relief efforts all over the world.

ya gotta set your priorities for your own life.... i'll walk walk walk til the cows come home rather than spend money on a gym membership (my weights are bought in a thrift store or just plain gallon water jugs and cans of veggies) I only have the unlimited $30 monthly pay as you go plan, no one needs the brand spanking new model of anything for gosh sakes. It's the ego-driven purchases of tech toys with bells and whistles that can lead one astray. If you really want to save money and live on two thirds less than $60 grand, you can.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:54 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There are many jobs that pay good money. I have sympathy but many people don't have long term plans for income & wage growth.
Then there are the people who don't have the intelligence to do more lucrative work. I always think back to elementary school... there were the smart kids, the average kids, and the ones who, no matter how hard they tried, just didn't understand, just couldn't learn. That lower level learner didn't automatically become smart when they grew up. I think they are mostly the ones who can't earn enough to live on. It's not just lack of goals or lack of planning... they just can't.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Then there are the people who don't have the intelligence to do more lucrative work. I always think back to elementary school... there were the smart kids, the average kids, and the ones who, no matter how hard they tried, just didn't understand, just couldn't learn. That lower level learner didn't automatically become smart when they grew up. I think they are mostly the ones who can't earn enough to live on. It's not just lack of goals or lack of planning... they just can't.
And that problem is greater today as more jobs and higher wages require brain and not brawn. It is a very real developed and developing world problem. Automation has replaced much of the need for brawn and now brain is in its path.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:02 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Really? You spend money on unproven supplements and remedies and you’re criticizing people for the coffee they buy?
If it's Starbucks, I'll criticize it. I hate Charbucks. It is over-roasted. I roast my own and get a much better cup of coffee for 80% less.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:25 PM

784 posts, read 728,795 times
Anyone in the USA can be a millionaire of they have the ambition, and work effort it takes to succeed. I do not feel sorry for people that have kids before that are financially responsible (especially since I subsidize their kids).

Every thinks they have to have a mortgage and a house payment. And a large house without roommates. And $5 coffees.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:26 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,349 times
These kinds of discussions always amaze me at the incredible ignorance some people have about "how the other half life," so to speak. Do people honestly believe that everyone making less than $50k a year (or whatever), are teen moms who buy expensive coffee and are just lazy? (Name your cliche!) I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I still am. Total ignorance about other people... and the associated rude dismissal.

I'm a huge proponent of personal responsibility. And I believe people, in general, can usually find a way to improve their financial lot in life. However, there are TONS of factors that go into why people do not. And they're not just excuses for a lot of them.

I think people who do not get this are probably those who put down anyone "less" than they are in any way out of fear that it could happen to them, too. That sometimes it's really not anyone's fault.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:26 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, there are plenty of low wage jobs for them. There is even low skilled entrepreneurship like cutting grass or walking dogs.

Don't knock grass cutting. My lawn guy owns a home in one of the most expensive areas of our town, up in the hills.

I asked myself, "How does he do it?" So I watched and learned.

We hired him because he was doing three other nearby homes at the time. He has a helper and they have a system down pat. The helper does the blowing and edging, Leon does the mowing. They finish four homes in about an hour. Then they move a block down the street and start on another section of homes.

We all pay $15/week, which is cheap for Silicon Valley, and that hasn't changed in many years. Leon's raking in $60/hour. Sure, he has to pay his helper and buy fuel for his mower, but still. He's made economy of scale work for him. Smart!

A friend's mother needed someone to do her lawn, over on the other side of town. I recommended Leon. He got other work there, too, from what I understand.

I admire his business sense.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
If it's Starbucks, I'll criticize it. I hate Charbucks. It is over-roasted. I roast my own and get a much better cup of coffee for 80% less.

Well, you probably do get better coffee. I hate Peet's, speaking of over-roasted. But coffee is tribal now.

Hey, you're not one of those Philz pourover people are you?

Old 05-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Every thinks they have to have a mortgage and a house payment.

I don't know about everyone.
But around here the feeling is that you're a chump if you rent, if you make enough to be able to afford a house payment.
Nobody believes the house will ever be paid off, they just want it to appreciate nicely so they can clear $100k-$200k or so when they sell it.
That's what got us into trouble in 2008 and it's quite likely to happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement