Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:15 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times

Advertisements

My issue is I am NOT ready to part with anything (that's mine) in the attic. DH has his own side of the attic and I try not to look during those rare times I go up to "Flowers In The Attic", if anyone is familiar with V.C. Andrews book series

I "cleaned house" when I was getting ready to move for retirement. My younger brother can deal with what's up in the attic and I have already told him so, lollol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
We call those yard sales.
+1

Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
a garage sale is like an estate sale, but nobody has to die.
lol!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I was thinking the other day what will the kids do after us with all the junk and clutter in the house?An estate sale, perhaps? Well, why not having our own estate sale while we are still alive and use some of that cash ourselves?
That's called a garage sale. They happen all the time. You can't sell off everything you own. You're not going to sell all of your furniture. Where would you sleep or sit?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
My issue is I am NOT ready to part with anything (that's mine) in the attic. DH has his own side of the attic and I try not to look during those rare times I go up to "Flowers In The Attic", if anyone is familiar with V.C. Andrews book series

I "cleaned house" when I was getting ready to move for retirement. My younger brother can deal with what's up in the attic and I have already told him so, lollol

I was just thinking today about what I like about my new place - it's that it is not filled with a lifetime's worth of clutter. When DH got sick we sold the house, got rid of most possessions, and rented furnished condos for a while.

A year ago I moved into this new place with a futon and a set of dishes and have been very selective about what I acquire. I was in my guest room, which has a bed, table and lamp, rug, chair, and curtains.. I have stayed in other people's guest rooms where you feel like you are going to be suffocated by all the clutter they keep in there.

I highly recommend getting rid of what you don't need and/or love. Do it and enjoy the clutter-free lifestyle.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
If you're hoping to translate excess stuff into cash, an estate/tag/yard sale is one of the least productive ways to do it. It's about one step up from giving the stuff away and they'll only take the good stuff leaving a huge residue of not-so-good stuff to be dealt with. The other downside to estate/tag/yard sales is that your treasured items then become worth ten cents since that's all someone will offer for them. However, it will move a lot of stuff out of your life, so that's a good thing.

Sometimes having someone else sell your stuff at the sale so you don't know how much a particular item went for or hear disparaging remarks about things while it's being sold can be a good thing. There are some folks who make a business of doing estate sales, so there may be someone who can come in and do it for you. Should you choose to do that, it may be easier to take the stuff you want to keep out of the house and then let the estate folks take over. Maybe while you're on an extended vacation somewhere? Then come back, take the good stuff out of storage and set the reduced house back together again.

If you don't want to deal with people on an item to item basis, perhaps a consignment shop may be helpful, although they will take a large cut of the proceeds.

There's also an online group called 'freecycle' where you list the stuff you don't want and folks come and get it.

There's probably more than one answer to how to declutter a life and I'd guess it's more of a process than a one act play. If it were me, I'd start with getting all the not good for anything stuff out of the pile. Then progress to getting the thrift store donations out of the pile. Then take the good stuff and put it somewhere else entirely. At that point, then call in the estate sale folks. Everything not sold at the estate sale goes to a thrift shop/charity. Then have a cleaning service come in and get it all sparkly clean and then come back from vacation and bring the stuff from storage back again. Sounds like about three to six months of dealing with stuff, more or less?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:47 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
I'd rather have an estate plan and let our children decide.

We have a Family Trust and have dumped a lot of collected stuff. We know that our kids are not into jewelry and the rest of our good collectables. We've talked to them and they know that that they get the choice of what to keep and what to get rid of.They also know the value and will make whatever decisions they want.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:53 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times
Donating, itemize and able to deduct, and not getting a receipt in order to deduct is simply giving the federal government more money to waste. If you deduct, and want to maximize your gift, then donate the money that your taxes were reduced by. That is so basic a concept, I don’t understand how anyone can call that cynical in the least!! The new tax law will not greatly reducing donations IMHO, as most people donate and simply can’t itemize anyway.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:32 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Did this a couple of years ago before moving to a new retirement home. What we learned:
1) No one wants your old wood furniture (we donated much of it to Habitat and Goodwill)
2) The most you can expect is about ten cents on the dollar.
3) the relief felt after disposing all that crappola is priceless.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Did this a couple of years ago before moving to a new retirement home. What we learned:
1) No one wants your old wood furniture (we donated much of it to Habitat and Goodwill)
2) The most you can expect is about ten cents on the dollar.
3) the relief felt after disposing all that crappola is priceless.
It's cathartic to get rid of stuff and declutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement