Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times

Advertisements

PBToast: I enjoyed your post very much. Thank you.

I do not have a house; I live in a low-income one-bedroom apartment. I'm starting to realize I have a lot of stuff I want to get rid of. This place was built in 2011, same year I moved in. Builders/owners have, at times, been a nightmare. I waited over 6 years for a toilet that worked all the time.

You are so right about needing a friend. My friends seem to be pretty caught up in their own lives. I'm not telling most about my moving till I'm on the verge of it. I don't get much encouragement. They remember my move to TX in 1993 which was a nightmare. But that is ancient history and circumstances are changed.

I don't feel a need to call social services. I am so used to doing my own thing, making my own decisions, etc. I'm pretty capable though I need to work at building arm strength. Been kind of lazy for a while.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:48 AM

107 posts, read 85,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thank you for this information. I have never heard of section 42 housing. I will check it out on Google.

I've been using Sperling for quite a while now. Plenty of good information. I have discovered the small town I'm interested in is very close in comparison for COL to where I live now, feel very good about that.
Sounds Exciting! Hope you keep us updated

Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
At age 58 I picked. Up and moved cross country by myself not knowing anyone in my new location.
It was a risk, but I did a lot of research and drew up a lot of scenarios and contingency plans.
It was exciting and an adventure. I got lucky, but I did everything I could to be lucky.
I am happy and in the best financial shape ever in my life.
Had I stayed I would be eeking by and simply existing.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:11 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
We bought a house in Florida, sight unseen. Does that count?

Old 03-05-2018, 11:28 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I would imagine I'll get some interesting answers to this question.

Since life holds no guarantees for any of us, how willing are you to take a step without knowing you will step on terra firma vs open space?

How do you decide whether to live a dream vs stay "safe" with what is known to you?

My dream is to move out of my senior one-bedroom apartment in central NY. Every day is the same, wake up, do your daily thing, go to bed, sleep. Repeat. Nothing that grabs my interest. Way too much TV (no cable). My one big excitement is to get in my car and drive to areas of my state that appeal to me. I like being outdoors, wildlife (plant and animal), water, etc. Living where I do, there are a few months that are good for doing those things. But other months, winter snow and cold really discourage any of that. At one time I walked in the snow, ice skated, tried snow-shoeing. But time has passed, arthritis, knee replacement, maybe even age have deterred me from doing most of that now.

Time is passing quickly. I want to live in a prettier area, I want flowers. I want more months to go out walking and enjoy what I see. I'm sick of commercial areas.

So I've been Googling about moving to NC. At one time I thought about the coast but have changed my mind due to the unpredictable weather..... hurricanes, nor-Easters, etc. My focus now is on the western part of the state, the mountain area. I have visited both areas and find both attractive for different reasons. It has been suggested to me that when I find "the" place I like, to sell/give away my stuff and buy new or in good shape used items.

What keeps my foot stuck in the rut is fear of failure. Many years ago I moved to TX for a job that never happened and I took a terrible hit financially. No job, no promise of a job. Non-successful reunion with my son there. Today I'm not working and have steady, reliable income (SS, other retirement). Just went bankrupt so have no outstanding debts. I am reasonably sure I can do this. I'm not looking for luxury. I have lived a pretty simple life for the most part. And would enjoy a simple life in a nicer area of our country.

How do I get over my fear that keeps me paralyzed? I don't want to miss out on what may be the best thing I ever did for myself because I'm afraid of a repeat failure?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Move to New England. You can still do part time jobs during Ski Season and become a tour guide or something for the rest of the year. I loved that region and want to retire there.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Just wondering....would going bk hinder your chances of qualifying for low income housing, apartment housing, etc?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:26 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I used to take a ton of career risk when I was younger. I did seven metro-Boston tech startups. A few of them shut the doors with a couple of days notice. A few of them had management team changes where I got caught up in the "you're part of the original team, buh bye". In those early days, I could find something better quickly. As I aged, it took longer and longer to line up my next thing. At this point where I'm just about to turn 60, I do risk mitigation for anything & everything and have contingency plans for all kinds of different life events.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Just wondering....would going bk hinder your chances of qualifying for low income housing, apartment housing, etc?

I think going bankrupt is a pretty good indication I don't have a lot of money. Therefore I am not worried about qualifying for low income apartment/housing. They base it on income. I'm low income.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I used to take a ton of career risk when I was younger. I did seven metro-Boston tech startups. A few of them shut the doors with a couple of days notice. A few of them had management team changes where I got caught up in the "you're part of the original team, buh bye". In those early days, I could find something better quickly. As I aged, it took longer and longer to line up my next thing. At this point where I'm just about to turn 60, I do risk mitigation for anything & everything and have contingency plans for all kinds of different life events.
I took a few risks in my work life. But was downsized a couple of times. Not much you can do to stop that from happening. Especially when they are walking herds of people out the door with a cardboard box holding their personal items. It was a very sad time, for sure. Yet there are people who either don't believe that happened or figure it was something I did that caused it. People who have never had it happen to them just can't wrap their head around the fact that it does happen. And it wrecks peoples' finances.

I'm almost 76 now. No plans to find work.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Move to New England. You can still do part time jobs during Ski Season and become a tour guide or something for the rest of the year. I loved that region and want to retire there.

I'm almost 76. No interest in getting a job. Not interested in moving to NE. Maybe you should move back now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.