Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:34 AM

16 posts, read 16,992 times

Advertisements

I have made up my mind and would like to purchase a Mobile Home in Florida in the Gulf area. I could do it sooner than retirement as I work from home, but I depend on the Internet for my job. Is it normal or common to be able to have cable/internet installed and not rely on the community "wifi"? If anyone that is going the same please let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 11:26 AM

5,270 posts, read 3,645,354 times
The community should be wired by some cable tv or telecom company, make sure of this first.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:01 PM

23,543 posts, read 19,317,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsisoul1111 View Post
I have made up my mind and would like to purchase a Mobile Home in Florida in the Gulf area. I could do it sooner than retirement as I work from home, but I depend on the Internet for my job. Is it normal or common to be able to have cable/internet installed and not rely on the community "wifi"? If anyone that is going the same please let me know. Thanks!
I'd also do a very thorough check on the area's hurricane damage/flood history and what your flood insurance rates will be. Particularly because you are looking at mobile homes. That could be a much bigger problem than getting internet!

Old 03-04-2018, 04:07 PM

I have done that research and I have lived in Sarasota and St Petersburg so I am familiar. I just never downsized to a mobile home or a MH community before and that is my intent. I have done very thorough research on just about every thing else.

I could move sooner but I want my own internet.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2018, 04:10 PM

5,617 posts, read 6,567,593 times
Call the local internet providers, or the MH parks you are interested in, and ask them. The Internet providers would know for sure.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,598,044 times
Seems odd you would be limited to park WiFi. I’ve never heard of such a thing. If nothing else an unlimited wireless data plan thru the major carriers would free you up, not to mention the local internet providers.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:31 PM

5,270 posts, read 3,645,354 times
As I mentioned in an earlier post make sure your unit will be hard wired for the internet. Simply don't accept anything else, to rely on "community wifi" would be like sharing toilet facilities or a telephone party line. Internet is now a necessary utility, don't cripple your options.

There can also be serious security issues with "community wifi".

Old 03-04-2018, 06:53 PM

I would not buy if it's only community wifi. I need my own.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:32 PM

509 posts, read 373,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsisoul1111 View Post

I think if you type into search box internet providers FL gulf something should come up. Best wishes.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,670,836 times
What I've done when moving to a new town, is go to the providers sites, and usually there's an option to put in your address to see if they service that address.

Is there an on site manager you can ask about which providers would service that park? The manager should know which providers have wiring in the park. Or, find out the rules for satellite dishes for the park, and see about internet through one of the satellite companies. But, the manager should know this, too.

I used to be an on site manager, and I would have to deal with the utility companies regarding access, etc. So, I knew which providers we were wired for and which weren't allowed (we didn't allow dishes on our building), for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement