Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:33 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times

Advertisements

I see trailer park people have their own language. "Stick built" as if it is a hut or something. I have never heard anyone else use those 2 words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,262,338 times
OP, if you could have seen the news segments about what happened to the mobile home parks here that went through Irma, you would reconsider. You just can’t imagine the devastation to these places, which by the way are far from over for the hapless people still suffering the effects. I understand the desire for no mortgage in retirement, but it’s not the end of the world. I retired a year and a half ago and took out a mortgage. It made financial sense for me to have a mortgage for tax purposes. If the spam hits the fan I’ll just pay it off but for now it’s helping me a lot.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:24 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
It seems many posters are confusing manufactured homes with mobile homes. They are NOT the same. Manufactured homes are much better quality than mobile homes. Manufactured homes are typically modular homes and are built to federal housing standards, unlike mobile homes, which can be swept away by the slightest breeze. Manufactured homes are built after 1976 and can be placed onto basements. Are they better than brick and mortar homes? That depends on what the family needs. They usually do not last as long, but they are more affordable, and they are better quality than mobile homes. And of course, proper maintenance is key, no matter what type of home a family resides in. If the owners maintain the manufactured home properly and another owner neglects their brick and mortar home, the manufactured home will last much longer, despite the differences in build and design.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:12 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I see trailer park people have their own language. "Stick built" as if it is a hut or something. I have never heard anyone else use those 2 words.
Stick built is a very common term usually denoting "regular" house construction. I.e. a 2x4 or framed out house built on site by a contractor. Distinguished by a manufactured home which is also 2x4 or 6 wood frame construction but in a warehouse factory and trucked to site. Mobile homes are typically metal frames

Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
Maybe this is the best of both worlds....https://www.spanishlakes.com/new-home-photos

Have a friend who lives here in a beautiful doublewide that they purchased before 2004. After the hurricanes they started building homes on the lots because of the tougher codes etc. Just be ready to go to one of the brick and mortar buildings for safety during tornadoes or hurricanes if you opt for a doublewide. My friends dealt with hurricanes by renting a u-haul truck and loading it with everything they could not live without. Then they drove to an area of the state away from the storm or out of the state until the storm exited the state.

I was impressed with this park. It has pools for grand kids visiting and pools where they are not allowed. It has a golf course, a theater for plays and shows. It is South of Vero Beach and North of Ft Pierce close to I-95 so has a pretty good location.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 AM

708 posts, read 722,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It seems many posters are confusing manufactured homes with mobile homes. They are NOT the same. Manufactured homes are much better quality than mobile homes. Manufactured homes are typically modular homes and are built to federal housing standards, unlike mobile homes, which can be swept away by the slightest breeze. Manufactured homes are built after 1976 and can be placed onto basements. Are they better than brick and mortar homes? That depends on what the family needs. They usually do not last as long, but they are more affordable, and they are better quality than mobile homes. And of course, proper maintenance is key, no matter what type of home a family resides in. If the owners maintain the manufactured home properly and another owner neglects their brick and mortar home, the manufactured home will last much longer, despite the differences in build and design.
You are exactly right! Most people have no clue about the difference and will not research because in their mind they think they are right. I did lots of research and compared costs and activities of 55+ communities and manufactured home park was way ahead. The money we saved we can travel for the next ten years
and still be ahead. We live in a beautiful park with a double wide with garage. All types of activities and entertainment. It is not a trailer park.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
You are exactly right! Most people have no clue about the difference and will not research because in their mind they think they are right. I did lots of research and compared costs and activities of 55+ communities and manufactured home park was way ahead. The money we saved we can travel for the next ten years
and still be ahead. We live in a beautiful park with a double wide with garage. All types of activities and entertainment. It is not a trailer park.
I'm just worried about getting insurance as it gets older. How much are the HOA costs where you are?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM

708 posts, read 722,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond2k2k2k View Post
I'm just worried about getting insurance as it gets older. How much are the HOA costs where you are?
We renew our insurance every year and it has not been issue. We are on a land lease situation where
the HOA fees are included in your rent payment and the varies by the lot in the park, if you are next
to a lake or golf course etc. Each park has it own price. We visited 10 parks before we made our decision,
so there is lot to look at and that was just in the Cape Coral area. Your up front price is much lower but you do pay a rental fee each month so you have to have monthly income to pay it. Everyone just needs do their own research. I just did not want a month mortgage payment during retirement and I wanted the safety and many activities that a gated community offers. Obviously, that is worth more to some people then others.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:38 PM

623 posts, read 966,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
In a area where some homes are manufactured and brought in by trucks and put together on site 2 sides put together and the outside and plumbing,electric connected vs a house completely built on site or called stick built. People who live in mobile or manufactured homes always refer to homes built on site as stick built

Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,562 times
Op check out Beverly Hills Fl!!!! Over 55 and sfh's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement