Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:56 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times

Advertisements

I don't know where or how I came across this, but I hand wrote it out and have it taped to my refrigerator door:

"Don't cry because it's over,
Smile because it happened."

It obviously made an impression on me enough to copy it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 09:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
These torrents of regret are what take some of the sting out contemplating mortality. We can all take comfort from the fact that when we’re gone, we no longer have the ability to commit blunders and cause hurt.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I don't know where or how I came across this, but I hand wrote it out and have it taped to my refrigerator door:

"Don't cry because it's over,
Smile because it happened."

It obviously made an impression on me enough to copy it down.
Something like:

Better to Have Loved and Lost Than
Never to Have Loved At All

Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile This sentence is interesting...

Copied and pasted from cb2008:

But I also realized much of this drama is from self-pity and feeling for a younger me who was so much more vulnerable.

Very interesting. Old music I loved seemed to bring memories for me I had totally forgotten and I just wasted so much time - well, at least I was working but I spent time with people I should not have spent time with. At least, I ended up with a decent guy.

Just trying to think why these dreams (now subsiding) overtook me some nights and things I had not thought about in decades. It did bring back feelings like it was yesterday and then, it made me sad.

At least, it sounds like some others have experienced a bit of what I've gone through.

At one point when I was 17, I developed something that is still used today in the credit reporting industry and I used this format when I started my own firm but who would have ever thought to patent it? One of my big mistakes.....that's a door I should have opened but I just didn't know.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That's happened to me, sometimes I'll just flash to 20 or 30 years ago or more. A few weeks ago I was sitting watching tv and there I was pitching in Little League for the state championship just like it was today. The crowd, the banners, the warm June weather. I could almost smell the fresh cut grass and popcorn.

When those happen I just say to myself "huh". And go on.
oddest thoughts pop up from years ago with no real provocation/reason why ---I'm sure a neuroscientist has an explanation why the brain functions like this (way a distant memory pops up out of the blue).......kind of a pleasant experience for me since I've had very little emotional trauma in my life.....

Old 03-09-2018, 06:15 AM

410 posts, read 602,344 times
Good thread. This past holiday season I got super nostalgic, not even really about Christmas's in the past, but more about past friendships and lost friendships, specifically during my time in college about 20 years ago. I know its common for people to get this way during the holidays and when another year is coming to an end, but these thoughts have continued into the New Year, where I am dreaming about this time period and people regularly. My time in college didn't end well, mostly because of decisions I made where I took another path in life after graduation and basically dropped some good friends and great people like it wasn't a big deal. It was easy because we were moving to different places around the country. I think for many years afterwards I just kind compartmentalized this time period out of my mind, probably because I was ashamed and didn't want to admit it to myself that I acted terribly, but now I can't stop thinking about it. I missed reunions, weddings, celebrating their big moments with them, and just their friendships. I stupidly find myself wishing I could go back, just to those last few months of school and make 1 or 2 different decisions but I know its impossible. I've had a good life since then for the most part, but even after all this time I am lacking in good friendships, and I think it was the last time I was TRULY happy inside. Man, have I realized how hard it is to find truly good friends. I look at these people's social media accounts, and although facebook/instagram is basically someones highlight reel, it looks like they are all doing well. I'm happy about that and happy for them. I'm not ready to reach out yet, but hopefully I get the courage to do so someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement