Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Sitting here today listening to a good mix of music from YouTube. Oh my gosh, taking me back. Amazing how they can make me feel young again, wishing I was cruising down a road with the windows open, fresh air in my face, listening to Marvin, Sammy, Temptations, Al Green........ so many more. Of course I can't think of any more names to write...........

I remember when Marvin's "War... " came out and our country was stuck in Vietnam...... such an emotional time (for me). And I get that feeling every time I hear it.
Do you mean "What's Going on"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WIR...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-01-2018 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 10:54 PM

Depending on what you use to get your television piped in you will find a lot of really good music in 700-900 channels. Ours is in the low 800's. Really brings back memories. And if you happen to have an Amazon item with Alexa it will play music from a decade, an artist, an album, a style, etc. With Amazon Prime you have access to their "channels" of around 1 million titles. Sign up (pay for) their premium channels and get around 30 million titles.

We like to test Alexa to see what the system can find. It won't find Pearls Before Swine (I wager about one in 200 of you know who they are - maybe), but found some obscure little band from Duluth, MN.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I totally agree. I was listening to a Marvin Gaye DVD in the car recently. Ahhhh. What a decade for outstanding, timeless music. The Temptations, Aretha, Dylan, Country Joe & the Fish, the British invasion, The Beatles, Moody Blues, Three Dog Night, Janis Joplin. There is good music in every decade, but the 60s was special. It doesn't get any better than that.

Some amazing soundtracks to movies, too. Like The Big Chill (the music was from the 60s), Easy Rider, Help!, The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Tom Jones also burst onto the scene in the 60s. Tom Jones in his heyday, singing Delilah or It's Not Unusual. He had a tv show, too. Johnny Cash had some big hits, too.
Whoa! Now that's great list!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:01 PM

Janis Joplin. Every time my wife and I hear someone say, "Oh Lord" we break out with Mercedes Benz. The looks we get range from, Oh wow! to, What is heck is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qev-i9-VKlY

Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 PM

Any Roy Orbison fans?

Old 01-01-2018, 11:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,825,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Any Roy Orbison fans?
Oh yes. Outstanding.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 AM

5,604 posts, read 6,529,837 times
^^^^Right here, big time!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 AM

5,604 posts, read 6,529,837 times
Tom Jones.....I've still got his "Live in Las Vegas" album, one of my favorites of all time. And I would give my right arm to have the video of his duet with Claudine Longet (sp) of "McArthur Park" when she was on his television show.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 AM

21,576 posts, read 8,749,478 times
Music brings back memories for me, but it also serves another purpose. It helps me reconstruct my life. Due to a nasty divorce and custody fight, my childhood was chaotic. We moved often (long story). In the first 14 years of my life I changed schools 11 times and moved 12 times. It's hard for me to figure out where I was from one year to the next. But whenever I hear a song from those years, an image pops into my mind. I can picture where we were living at the time the song was popular. Then I check to see when that song was at its peak, and I can determine that, for example, in the autumn of 1958, I lived in an apartment in Mountain View, CA.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 AM

7,036 posts, read 4,916,235 times
I used to like the "underground" music that wasn't as well known, mostly from the 60s and 70s. Neal's Fandango by the Doobie Brothers, Dead and Gone by Gypsy, a version of Cindy's Crying by Deep Water Reunion, and others from bands and individuals like Long John Baldry, Ian Mathews, John Prine, It's a Beautiful Day, Livingston Taylor, John Renbourne and Pentangle, Richie Havens, Spider John Koerner, Crow, etc.

I'm getting my old 60s music together on CDs now. Mustang Sally, I Feel Free, Too Much to Dream, Incense and Peppermint, Pushin' Too Hard, White Rabbit, Eve of Destruction, Shot Gun, I'm a Man, stuff like that.

I just finished watching the movie 'The Doors' the other day and it just hit me: Light My Fire came out 50 years ago last year.

I usually drive around with my windows down and the music cranked up so high my eardrums bleed. A while back I had a CD playing full bore while I was paused at a traffic light and a little old man turned around to look at me. I was thinking, "Here we go, he'll yell at me to turn the damn noise down" but instead he gave me a thumbs up. That's when I realized all the hippies were getting old, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement