Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:37 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,134,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
They are distracted thinking about when you leave and they can check their cell phones.

I'm sure I come off as a bit of a pain but I take control of the situation by switching into my best teaching mode and giving them a brief lesson in what needs to be done - the how and why. All with an authoritative smile and hoping that it will stick. No one is teaching them how to be professional, it seems.

I worked in a radiology office where many exams were performed. I was a medical transcriptionist and never had to interact with patients.

But the women I knew who were the technicians administering these tests often ruined their backs, shoulders etc. by lifting patients, etc. So maybe the younger people doing these jobs have been told...... watch out for your back. I've known at least 2 who had to leave their jobs early because they could not physically do it anymore.

Something to consider. I always make an effort to get myself out of the equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:07 PM

6,428 posts, read 6,953,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't find this funny or entertaining or cute? I was born to an older mother, whose friends and sisters were older as well, my 2 sisters as well as my cousins were all older, so I was mature for my age when I was young and always was "older" in my thoughts and attitudes. I never liked males my own age as they were so immature. I was "older" even as a teenager.

At 27 I was with my husband for a decade, had a 5 year old, a house, a job, all the trappings of adulthood. I find her comment immature and thoughtless. But given her age/generation, I am not surprised.
I think it's cute, since I'm also 63, and occasionally I'm still mistaken for a not-old person. If a young attractive woman does it, it's great.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,839,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I tried to order checks on line but the bank has a new security feature that if you have to change your address AND order checks you got to show ID

Makes sense.

I hadn't ordered checks in three years. Many addresses ago. I only had one left so I made a guest appearance. Oh yea, I had to get some cash too. I don't do ATMs. I guess it must be an old person thing. I just hate paying a convenience fee.
Our ATMs don't have fees. You need to find a new bank.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I worked in a radiology office where many exams were performed. I was a medical transcriptionist and never had to interact with patients.

But the women I knew who were the technicians administering these tests often ruined their backs, shoulders etc. by lifting patients, etc. So maybe the younger people doing these jobs have been told...... watch out for your back. I've known at least 2 who had to leave their jobs early because they could not physically do it anymore.

Something to consider. I always make an effort to get myself out of the equipment.
One of the places I went had a set of straps with bars in them that you could reach to pull on. Worked great!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I'm 57 ad because some of my hair is already turning grey some of these milenial generation think I am older than what I am and the tellers at the bank especially . One was saying just the other day "Oh it is almost close to your birthday guess you are not looking forward to that " , I told her Oh on the contrary I am looking forward to it because I just love cake " and I smiled and walked away . I find that incredibly rude for younger people and also to mention like another poster did yes I have run into young supposedly medical professionals that offer no assistance as well . But it seems as those in their 30s treat me far better when I'm having tests run especially mris and cat scans .
Mine started when I was sixteen. While my sister, who is ten years older than me was still getting carded, I was buying beer at 18 - when the legal age was 21.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:54 PM

7,013 posts, read 4,952,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
There is no fee for using your own bank's ATM.

Again,there is no fee for using your own bank's ATM. Now if you want the, ahem, "convenience," of being able to take money out of your bank account by using someone else's ATM, well then, that someone else rightly charges a fee for that, ahem, convenience.
Maybe I'm being a dumb old person here, but if you have a card to take money out of the ATM, why not just use the card to shop with in the first place?

I think the only time I use cash these days is when I go to pick up something I'm buying on Craig's List. And usually for gas. Even McDonald's takes debit cards (I quit using checks when those cheapskate banks quit returning them in my statement).

By the way, I was working for BofA when the first ATMs came out and I remember them saying there would never be a fee associated with getting your money out because it was all electronic. Those bankers rate right up there with HBO for lying their butts off.

-----------------------------------

My mom is going to be 88 and is still going strong. I'm younger and falling apart. We get along, but we also "spar" a lot. I told her once if she's lucky, we'll end up sharing a room together in the old folk's home. Really, I never knew her vocabulary was so extensive, particularly when it came to words that I can't even post. Most of them connected to "Not in this lifetime!"

Old 01-02-2018, 01:29 AM

^^ We use credit cards for the airline miles. The airline flight cost to Europe this year is going to be mostly covered by them.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:01 AM

806 posts, read 882,418 times
Don't you just love it when you make a simple post and everybody starts telling you how YOU should live ?

Old 01-02-2018, 07:14 AM

35 posts, read 30,794 times
I said this to someone the other day. And I meant it most sincerely. I was handing money to a woman and the shape, nail structure and color of her hands looked exactly like my mother's hands. So much so that I choked up a little bit because mom has since passed on but in a fleeting moment as I looked down at the hands, but not up at the face, she was right there.

The lady saw the tears in my eyes and I think she understood. At least I hope she did.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:53 AM

94 posts, read 87,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
A friend of mine just had her first New Year's Eve in her 55+ community in Arizona. She was excited there was a NYE party and made plans to attend. There was food/dancing/entertainment. This morning she told me all about it... They celebrated NYE when the ball dropped in Times Square so they could all be home in bed before it got 'late'!
That’s hysterical. We live in the central time zone and did the same thing this year! I thought it was great, other recent years we just go to bed as usual around 9-10 pm.

From another post I was surprised to read that medical support staff failed to help older patients up from exam tables. I am so surprised at that. I’ve had numerous exams done (CATs, MRIs and such) and always had the nicest techs that always offered to help me up. I am quite ambulatory and don’t need help but just the offer of a hand extended should I need it is appreciated.

I have rather longish partially grey hair and I believe I look my age (early sixties), I use ATMs, even in foreign countries (oh my!). I have never felt insulted or discriminated against by anyone because of my age, thank goodness. Then again I am myself have a rather bold and confident manner about myself (so I have been told) so I probably put enough terror in those whipper snappers that they are watching their Ps and Qs with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement