Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:25 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,002,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
, or have friends you have done this, and was it worth the time and money to you?
I haven't had a personal trainer, don't do manicures, and have no interest in a facelift, but my SIL does all that and more. She's in her 70s and looks like a 40-year-old mannequin, but she's happy with her results and is happy to spend the money on it.

From the reactions of her friends on Facebook, her facelift/cheek implants/wigs and oddly youthful appearance seems to put people off. She does it all for admiration, but mostly she gets puzzled looks from people wondering why her face looks unnatural and why she wears wigs.

Not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 02:44 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,830,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
My surgery was on a Wed. and I took off the rest of that week and the full week after. (I might have worked from home that following week.) I went to a wedding the following weekend, which was about 16 days after my surgery. None of my co-workers seemed to notice or be shocked, even though I still think I was swollen and had the Asian look. (This was upper/lower eye lift and lower face lift and lipo of chin.)

I lived in Southern CA when I had it done (in the year 2000). EVERYONE was getting it done and everyone was totally open about it. Back here on the East coast, I think people still try to keep it on the down-low. I have a friend who actually lied to me about why she'd be away for a week -- she actually wasn't away, she was getting a facelift but I think she was going to try to get away with not telling anyone. But seriously, if she hadn't told me, I'm not sure I would have spotted it. She did look a lot better but in a very natural way.
I upper blef and although it took a week I still have a little left to heal 2 months later. Where is the incision for the lower blef? How is it compared to the upper? I don't want to word it was it worse because the upper wasn't bad at all. I can't believe I didn't do both at the same time but since my eye doctor did it I didn't think he could. Afterward I asked and he said he would have.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,615,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I upper blef and although it took a week I still have a little left to heal 2 months later. Where is the incision for the lower blef? How is it compared to the upper? I don't want to word it was it worse because the upper wasn't bad at all. I can't believe I didn't do both at the same time but since my eye doctor did it I didn't think he could. Afterward I asked and he said he would have.
Your opthalmalogist (physician MD specializing in care of the eyes) did the plastic surgery procedure on your eyelids, instead of a plastic surgeon?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,830,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Your opthalmalogist (physician MD specializing in care of the eyes) did the plastic surgery procedure on your eyelids, instead of a plastic surgeon?

Yes. DH had the same reaction, and actually scared me and said go to a plastic surgeon but since it obstructed lateral vision (proven by a test that has to done by an eye doctor and then authorized by the insurance company). He did a really good job too. That's why I didn't have lower blef. I was really nervous but then figured he had to do a lot of them and came highly recommended. The Doctor said he had seen worse but yes there is obstruction. Now I wish I had requested and paid for lower blef but under my eyes aren't too bad.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:44 PM

535 posts, read 345,252 times
At least go to a good hair stylist and have someone look over your wardrobe. My daughter chooses my clothes. I have no style. I color my hair and am a size 8 or 10, nothing anorexic. I would like to go to the gym more, but I have arthritis. Don't act "old" and complain about all of your ailments. Continue working at least part-time. If you don't have to work volunteer.
Keep busy!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:55 PM

993 posts, read 771,177 times
Regarding cosmetic surgery, I’ll just throw this out there:

I was diagnosed with breast cancer this year. Had a mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction which involved taking fat from my tummy (a tummy tuck) and building a new breast with it. The procedure is called a DIEP flap.

Surgery comes with risks and I think those risks are often ignored with cosmetic surgery. I had a top surgeon, great hospital and developed sepsis. It took a couple weeks of IV antibiotics in the hospital, as well as wound vacs for open incisions, and then heavy oral antibiotics to recover.

I would never again have cosmetic surgery knowing what I know now. I knew there was a risk going into this, but of course thought it would never happen to me.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,444,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I just had a blepharoplasty to repair a ptosis on one eyelid. The eyelid didn't have excess skin (since I had already had the cosmetic surgery in 2000) but it was sagging and interfering with my vision. This was proven with a vision test and the surgery was approved by Medicare. An incision was made in the crease of the eyelid and the muscle was lifted from inside. My surgeon was an opthamologist and oculofacial plastic surgeon.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:08 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,715,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Regarding cosmetic surgery, I’ll just throw this out there:

I was diagnosed with breast cancer this year. Had a mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction which involved taking fat from my tummy (a tummy tuck) and building a new breast with it. The procedure is called a DIEP flap.

Surgery comes with risks and I think those risks are often ignored with cosmetic surgery. I had a top surgeon, great hospital and developed sepsis. It took a couple weeks of IV antibiotics in the hospital, as well as wound vacs for open incisions, and then heavy oral antibiotics to recover.

I would never again have cosmetic surgery knowing what I know now. I knew there was a risk going into this, but of course thought it would never happen to me.
Good advice. I'm actually terrified of going to the hospital for anything due to complications so I know I'd probably *never* have any sort of elective surgery. Part of me would like to but then I hear things like this (and they happen all to frequently, IMO) and I just wouldn't do it. It would have to be something VERY minor.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:02 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,243,064 times
I think if I was in the workforce and how I looked impacted my job I'd consider a face lift but as it is my focus is more on the quality of my time and life, health particularly and any spare money I have is spent on studio supplies, grandchildren and having fun with family and friends.

I did have a personal trainer for a few months as part of my recovery from cancer last year. It was okay but I find swimming and walking more enjoyable and sustaining than going to a personal trainer. I do however work on some of the balance and flexibility exercises.

I dress like an artist "apparently" but I think some say that because I don't wear super casual clothes and tend to dress European ( because that's where I'm from) , and while I don't dye my hair I have my hair cut and styled, and like to wear make up.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 AM

588 posts, read 464,807 times
In my mid 50s I had my upper eye lids done. My lids had begun to droop to the point I could no longer wear mascara nor did I have very good side vision. Runs in the family.

Runs in the family also is a lot of fat cells in the neck area. I had the doc suck out the fat cells. He took to big straws and inserted them just in front of my ears. I swear it sounded like a Slurpy. I figure I had two Happy Meals sucked out of my neck. Best thing I ever did was those two procedures. $6000 big ones.

I am considering the jaw line also. But I will have another laser treatment that is called the Palamar (sp) that does not rip off your skin but stimulates the collagen cells to start growing again and yes it does work! About $1000. It hurts like hades but it sure is worth it.

I take care of my skin. Probably because I had the worst acne growing up and paid the price with the horrible abuse I got for it. I was called scar face at school up until I was eighteen by some. Sheez! Get a life.

I said I would not go to my grave with acne scars and I have the treatments to prove it....that experience in school really did a number on me.

Well, I am now 62 and I have no wrinkles except when I smile. No face lift. I am considering a jaw line lift which would take care of the minimal marionette lines around my mouth. We shall see. My boyfriend doesn't think I need it but if I am going to do it it should be now.

As far as personal trainers I have had two. One was great and I kept her for a year. I learned strength, balance and lost 13 pds. Menopause then hit big time and I gained it 10 of it back. Now I am back in the gym and I feel good. 3-4 days a week. I still work part time so that is all I can do right now. I do 30 minutes treadmill, 20 min free weights, 20 min stretching.

Mobility and strength are my goals. I get back down to 130 I may not need a lower jaw line done since I will lose the rest of the fat they couldn't get when I did the Slurpy thing.

Other than that I will allow nature to take its course. I am good enough. The surgery is just a wish list thing.

Hope that helps!

Oh and the down time sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement