Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:54 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,143,030 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here bought a single premium LTC policy?

Your thoughts?
Can you provide some insight as to why you chose that route?

Or if you didn't, why not?

I know people who've gone each route...
I have one friend and her husband....he bought a single premium policy about two years ago, at 55/56. She got hers a few years ago in her early/mid 50s through the federal employees group plan....and after a recent premium increase, she lowered her coverage to keep her premium down.....and wishes she'd gone the single premium, route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 01:29 PM

236 posts, read 159,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Has anyone here bought a single premium LTC policy?

Your thoughts?
Can you provide some insight as to why you chose that route?

Or if you didn't, why not?

I know people who've gone each route...
I have one friend and her husband....he bought a single premium policy about two years ago, at 55/56. She got hers a few years ago in her early/mid 50s through the federal employees group plan....and after a recent premium increase, she lowered her coverage to keep her premium down.....and wishes she'd gone the single premium, route.

The single-premium LTC products are a great deal for the insurance companies and a lousy deal for the consumer. Essentially, they keep all the earnings on your money. They use your money to pay for your care first. Only if you need care for more than 2 years does the insurance company start to use their money.

https://www.ltcshop.com/2017/10/14/n...urance-part-1/

The federal employees group LTCi plan is NOT governed by the Rate Stability Regulations that are now in 41 states. The Rate Stability Regulations protect people who buy LTCi policies today.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:33 PM

106,760 posts, read 108,973,015 times
i agree . they are a poor way to try to get coverage .

they can be soooooo costly because they require so much cash to be tied up .

i can invest my money normally and with just a small portion of the gains buy an actual inflation adjusted plan with lots of perks .

don't forget you give them a few hundred thousand for a decent amount of coverage and they hold all the cards . they can pay you near zero interest on that money instead of increasing premiums . the higher interest rates rise that you are not getting , the more they are actually taking from you in premium

Old 12-06-2017, 05:46 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,143,030 times
Quote:
...don't forget you give them a few hundred thousand for a decent amount of coverage
I know I sure as heck am not talking about giving them a few hundred thousand.
The 2 polices I've seen (with 2 companies) are for 75K and buy either:
1) -- an immediate pool of funds worth $255K. Factoring in 5% simple inflation, you get a $516K pool of funds by age 80.
2) -- an immediate pool of money worth $250k with 3% compound inflation, giving you a $495K pool of money by age 80.

And my friend's husband who got one at age 55, only did a single premium of 50K.
I don't know the company, nor what his benefits are, but my friend pulled the paperwork and told me it was a 50K one-time premium.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,353,656 times
I would pass but have you considered a deferred annuity that would give you enough to pay for the care if needed? I am not a fan of deferred annuities but it might be an option. My guess is you would not need to annuitize until your 80's and the annuity would pay the rest of your life not just a couple of years. Joint annuity might be the way to go.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:35 AM

it could be a dangerous game trying to time an annuity for insurance .

you could need care at any time not just in your 80's . the annuity is likely not going to increase inflation wise enough to keep up either.

long term care costs have been escalating at over 5% a year .

Old 12-07-2017, 01:40 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,353,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it could be a dangerous game trying to time an annuity for insurance .

you could need care at any time not just in your 80's . the annuity is likely not going to increase inflation wise enough to keep up either.

long term care costs have been escalating at over 5% a year .
Agree. I was thinking that if the decision was that the single premium LTC insurance was too expensive the annuity might provide an option that fits the budget.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM

216 posts, read 163,493 times
I suggest you talk with an independent LTC agent that understands both traditional and asset based plans and see which fits you best. Both types of plans have advantages and disadvantages.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:16 PM

we have ltc shop right here in this forum . he is very very knowledgeable in LTC insurance .

his opinion is also these combo policies are very poor deals .

Old 12-10-2017, 04:23 PM

216 posts, read 163,493 times
You both are wrong if you say that the asset products are a bad fit for everyone. So if one wants lifetime benefits, guaranteed premium, guaranteed benefits and premium returned if not used where do you turn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement