Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:14 PM

4,376 posts, read 7,303,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What we need to keep in mind that some people did save for retirement but for some it was lost due to circumstances beyond their control. What about people who had substantial retirement investments connected to WorldCom, Enron or Bernie Madoff Securities?
I would call investing either all or a substantial portion of one's retirement savings in a single company's securities very poor strategy, unless someone is willing to accept a very high level of risk, in return for a possible substantial reward.

For retirement savings, better to spread contributions among the securities of multiple companies, or in mutual funds that have holdings in multiple companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 01:06 PM

107,444 posts, read 109,827,875 times
tying up ones income and investing all in the same company where you work is a very poor idea .

needless to say speculating in very few individual companies with a sizable portion of assets may not be a great idea either .

Old 11-04-2017, 01:44 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,984,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
tying up ones income and investing all in the same company where you work is a very poor idea .

needless to say speculating in very few individual companies with a sizable portion of assets may not be a great idea either .
Very true and I agree with what you say 100% but I seem to remember where the Employees of Enron didn't have much of a choice.

From 2001:

Employees' Retirement Plan Is a Victim as Enron Tumbles

Quote:
Through the 401(k) retirement plan, employees chose to put much of their savings in Enron shares, and the company made contributions in company stock as well. But around the time Enron disclosed serious financial problems last month, the company froze the assets in the plan because of an administrative change. For several weeks, as the stock lost much of its value, workers stood by helplessly as their retirement savings evaporated. They were not allowed to switch investments at all -- even though the plan had far less risky choices.

The unfortunate timing caps a year of pain for Enron's workers. At the end of last year, the 401(k) plan had $2.1 billion in assets. More than half was invested in Enron, an energy conglomerate. Since then, the stock has lost 94 percent of its value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I agree and you think like I do. I'm retiring at the end of this school year and I'll be 69 years and 7 months old. I worked longer than I wanted to. I did wait until I was 66 to collect ss along with my paycheck and although I'll take a huge cut in income, I'm done.
Oh did I ever think of that! Talk about tempting taking social security in conjunction with a paycheck but having 85% of my benefit subject to federal taxes made me think twice. I knew it would be a bad move but I was so tempted.... and then I would have grown used to living with all sorts of extra money so when I did have to stop working I would have felt the pain.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:04 PM

37,657 posts, read 61,751,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I would call investing either all or a substantial portion of one's retirement savings in a single company's securities very poor strategy, unless someone is willing to accept a very high level of risk, in return for a possible substantial reward.

For retirement savings, better to spread contributions among the securities of multiple companies, or in mutual funds that have holdings in multiple companies.
My step-father worked for PG&E [Pacific Gas & Electric] They sold him stock at half-price, he had a percentage of every paycheck go into buying company stock. After 40 years with the company he had a lot of PG&E stock.

I do not think that was a bad idea on his part.

He went into retirement with the IBEW pension and his dividend income.

His mistake was that he allowed his Cost-Of-Living to increase every year as his retirement went along. By the time he reached his 70s he had began selling stock to maintain his lifestyle. In his early 80s he ran out of stock, and his pension was not enough.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,250,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Sometimes you don’t have a choice. I remember thinking that when I worked at Apple and had all kinds of invested monies.

That turned out well.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 AM

5,283 posts, read 3,654,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
With the exception of my dad all related males lived to their early 90's so that is what I am counting on.
Lucky guy, I haven't found any male in my direct bloodline that made it to 75yo. But I am still planning financially to live to late 80's anyway because I am a "belt & suspenders" type guy - why take the chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement