Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:51 PM

226 posts, read 214,562 times

Advertisements

I read that they will be building a Del Webb community in Port St Lucie, FL. and I am wondering if it is something that I may want to consider in a few years. These places come with a built-in social life, or so I'm told, and I was wondering if anyone reading this who happens to live in one of them can tell me what the pros and cons are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 04:07 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
I don't live in one but it is a community that I would not have trouble fitting in. Currently no plan to move so....

Pro

Community center
Limited access
Nice layout of grounds
Well kept
Services included
Decent amount of space on each lot

Con
Limited style in construction
Houses look a lot alike
Restrictions on exterior of property

There is an HOA and that comes with fees but that can be a pro and con. The HOA does take care of the property. If you do no changes to the grounds they will mow and trim your lawn and brush. Also all trash. recycle are dealt with. Also leaf and brush removal is done. The HOA is not Del Webb as once the homes are 90% or more owned the home owners become the HOA. Del Webb is the construction company (Pulte is the company that builds the houses).

The best thing you could do is visit any of them. They have many along the east coast states. Pick one. Call for a visit and see for yourself. Then watch them as they build in Port St Lucie, FL.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:01 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
No personal experience. My mothers cousin and his wife bought in one, or something similar in one of the Carolinas They eventually sold and moved to a regular house in northern FL. My mother and cousin were (deceased now) german immigrants of blue collar backgrounds. Accents. He didn't feel like he fit in and was being judged. Granted he could be a little loud in a slightly obnoxious way (like the stereotype of a NJ Italian) but he was a nice guy who would go out of his way to be helpful. I think these places are great if you fit the profile of everyone else who lives there, whatever that might be.

I'm a military vet with a few conservative views. I also have many progressive views. I would not feel comfortable in the Villages.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2076715.html

Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
I have visited a few. They are quite sterile, tend to attract more conservative folks and frankly, lots of obese people. Their ads always show youngish active retirees, but it's not one I have seen. Have visited friends at Del Webb sites in VA. They like it well-enough (their words) but thinking of selling (both couples) but because it is still being built out, they know their chances of a resale are slim unless they take a loss.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 AM

483 posts, read 665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I have visited a few. They are quite sterile, tend to attract more conservative folks and frankly, lots of obese people. Their ads always show youngish active retirees, but it's not one I have seen. Have visited friends at Del Webb sites in VA. They like it well-enough (their words) but thinking of selling (both couples) but because it is still being built out, they know their chances of a resale are slim unless they take a loss.
Seriously? Obese people?? Having lived in a Del Webb community in AZ for two years we constantly marvel at the fantastic shape of most of the people we see around here. Every morning the sidewalks are filled with walkers, the roads with bikers and the gym is filled to capacity every morning at 7:30. Pickleball is a huge activity here and obese people do not play pickleball.

Honestly, I can think of only one person I have seen who could be classified as obese. This is an active adult community...with emphasis on ACTIVE. Average age is probably right around 60.

As for re-sales, we bought a spec home two years ago and sold it (at a profit) a year later to build a new construction. We sold it at our first showing. Also, homes around here that go up for sale are on the market for only a few days before offers are accepted. And this is a community that is still probably only 50% built out, so competing with new construction is NOT a problem.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
No personal experience. My mothers cousin and his wife bought in one, or something similar in one of the Carolinas They eventually sold and moved to a regular house in northern FL. My mother and cousin were (deceased now) german immigrants of blue collar backgrounds. Accents. He didn't feel like he fit in and was being judged. Granted he could be a little loud in a slightly obnoxious way (like the stereotype of a NJ Italian) but he was a nice guy who would go out of his way to be helpful. I think these places are great if you fit the profile of everyone else who lives there, whatever that might be.

I'm a military vet with a few conservative views. I also have many progressive views. I would not feel comfortable in the Villages.

The Villages' Democrats Find Second-Rate Citizenry In A Billionaire's Republican Kingdom | HuffPost

What does the community of "The Villages", a well known extremely large community do to compare to the smaller and well kept Del Webb Communities. The OP is asking about Del Webb. The Villages was not started or even associated with Del Webb.

The other thing about this post is that we are bringing in an old story of just about 5 years. Kind of old news to base a feeling on without visiting.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:03 AM

32 posts, read 49,959 times
My wife and I have been visiting some Del Webb communities out west. We are looking for that small town feel where neighbors actually talk to each other. The people have all been very friendly and helpful at each of the communities we have visited. It is probably different from community to community, but the one thing that has stood out was how quiet it was. That may not be appealing to some, but to us it was relaxing.

I have read some posts on this forum about these types of communities being populated by old people waiting for the grim reaper. We have found the exact opposite to be true. At 64 we were probably older then most people we saw. Maybe the old old people do not get out.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Del Webb 55+ communities? How do you like it?

I live in the original one.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:26 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
I have never lived in one, but lived near one. I heard complaints about the lawn police getting excited if a leaf were to be on the lawn for too long. Since woman generally live longer than men, the surviving women will flood a new widow with all sorts of baked goods trying to find a breathing male! I also heard complaints that if the grandkids were there for too long they would also get hassled. I love my sfh without a HOA fees or the social police.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Del Webb 55+ communities? How do you like it?

I live in the original one.
You mean Sun City, Arizona, I'm guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement