Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,060,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
This is exactly where I'm at these days. My kids all live far away but I have brothers, nephews and cousins here who COULD help a little, if they were of a mind to...which they aren't. Just the small 'honey do' jobs would be all that I'd ask but I have a handyman now to take care of it. I pay him more an hour than I make but he's worth it.
One of the pitches of CCRC's is that all you need to do is call the desk and they will have someone come to you and complete all maintenance and repairs including appliances etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 01:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One of the pitches of CCRC's is that all you need to do is call the desk and they will have someone come to you and complete all maintenance and repairs including appliances etc etc.

Not even thinking about anything like that yet but sometimes having a landlord WAS nice. When I first moved into my house I couldn't even put light bulbs in the overhead lights because they were too high. I didn't own a ladder yet. Had to have a friend come do it for me. Horrors.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Not even thinking about anything like that yet but sometimes having a landlord WAS nice. When I first moved into my house I couldn't even put light bulbs in the overhead lights because they were too high. I didn't own a ladder yet. Had to have a friend come do it for me. Horrors.
When you tour and look up at the higher ceilings in nice units they will point out that changing the bulb is only a phone call away. Makes a difference.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:00 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When you tour and look up at the higher ceilings in nice units they will point out that changing the bulb is only a phone call away. Makes a difference.

They'll do everything they can to convince you it's the best place to live and I don't blame them.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
They'll do everything they can to convince you it's the best place to live and I don't blame them.
The reality is it was a real plus for us. It is interesting what becomes important as we age. You can have high ceilings and not worry. It is about offering a life with minimal unnecessary worries.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:14 PM

5,586 posts, read 6,517,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You are already putting obstacles in the way by saying you are stubborn and refuse to change, but hope you can entice someone to help out by dangling an inheritance in front of them. Maybe you are just kidding, but keep an open mind about your limitations.
TwoByFour: Exactly! This is serious business, and only you are able to take control of it and make wise decisions now while you are still in your right mind and are able to get around to finalize them.

My heart went out to you just reading that you two are alone and won't have anyone around. Please see about changing this. I read the article above about End of Life Doulas, please look into that. People who do that are sincere about caring for those who don't have anyone at their time of need. I am looking into it as it will go hand-in-hand with my Community of Hope caregiving.

End-of-Life Doulas - TIME GOES BY: See at Post 242 and click on the link.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:15 AM

7,459 posts, read 4,699,127 times
This is the reason why there are student loans ... so parents don't have to pay for their children's education and instead put their money into retirement so their kids don't have to worry about spending their own money on them when they grow old.

In Asia though it's opposite ... parents pay for their kids' education with the expectation that these kids would spend their money on them when they grow old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement