Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:02 AM

667 posts, read 765,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I feel the need to point out that Greece had a huge number of retired public sector workers with massively generous pensions. They got into huge budget problems and those pensions were slashed. If you look at the state and local unfunded pension liability problem in the US, it's not beyond imagination that something like that could happen here. It would require a law change to allow states to bankrupt but there are enough states with huge problems that it could happen. The rest of us have to work until 65+. A defined benefit pension with health benefits and COLA is worth way more than a million dollars in a 401(k) that very few private sector workers get to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 AM

29 posts, read 79,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
SO would that $5670/mo increase when you hit 62 and how much of that is tied to inflation? I think you should be fine but I would be concerned if your income doesn't increase over time given we don't know how much inflation we'll have in the future.

Since wife and I recently retired still in our 50's and she found a house she wanted that was a bit over $500K, we are finding out that even though our wealth is multiple times the house cost and we have no debt, they still tie loans to provable income so be aware that is going to potentially affect you when you are ready to buy your next house...our income is tied to investment streams that I can tap or not when I want but they want recurring income, not income available when you decide you want it. I'm thinking of taking a short term consulting assignment with the company I left just to show income for a few paychecks during the loan process. We also don't have a retirement health plan so that exorbitant cost is on us.
Thanks for the reply

Yes, at 62 if I elect to draw SS, our income increases ~$600.00 to ~$6300. The wife can also draw at that time an additional $850 as well bringing us up to around $7100 a month. Our pension is also eligible for yearly COLA.

Good points about loan qualifications. I have discussed this with my sister-inlaw who is a mortgage broker. A quick review of our numbers and she said we should be fine. Tennessee is desirable in there are many examples of 2.5 sq ft homes built since 2010 on 1/2 to 1 acre at ~200K.

House mortgage estimate 1/5 of income initially.

The longer we can put off drawing from our 401K AND not buying a home, of course the better the numbers become. Like I mentioned earlier, it's nice to have various options and no pending requirements

Thanks again for the feedback

WC

Last edited by West Coasting; 04-11-2016 at 06:30 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 AM

29 posts, read 79,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I feel the need to point out that Greece had a huge number of retired public sector workers with massively generous pensions. They got into huge budget problems and those pensions were slashed. If you look at the state and local unfunded pension liability problem in the US, it's not beyond imagination that something like that could happen here. It would require a law change to allow states to bankrupt but there are enough states with huge problems that it could happen. The rest of us have to work until 65+. A defined benefit pension with health benefits and COLA is worth way more than a million dollars in a 401(k) that very few private sector workers get to.
Thanks for the Debbie Downer view lol.... just kidding

I have a contingency plan for such a dark period should it come to that. We'll have a lot more social problems to deal with than worrying about our pension. Another good reason to be at the TN farm as chaos will reign supreme in the suburbs.... especially in my current location.

-WC

Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coasting View Post
Thanks for the Debbie Downer view lol.... just kidding

I have a contingency plan for such a dark period should it come to that. We'll have a lot more social problems to deal with than worrying about our pension. Another good reason to be at the TN farm as chaos will reign supreme in the suburbs.... especially in my current location.

-WC
This is a taboo subject but for people in or near retirement it's important to at least start thinking along these lines. Having contingency plans and being prepared is important and not just for economic/social reasons.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 10,438,365 times
Quote:
In my field, to many past co-workers have passed on due to things like tumors, cancer, and other things at an early age while still working. Then the ones who do stick around until 62 or beyond, die one year or so after retirement.
Did you work at an asbestos plant?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
Well moving to a cheaper COL area isn't exactly a revolutionary idea - coming from an expensive state like NY, plenty of people sell high and cash out too. Agreed that life is not about working until you die. But we work a bit harder now to pay off the mortgage first (8 more years or so) and then everything else is just savings (other than these ridiculous $1k+/mo. taxes). We'll still be under 50 then. Thing is, I don't think I could move to the boonies at any point in my life. NoVA made the list of best places to retire - maybe we'll go there.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
Quote:
I have been working for the Feds since I was 19 with a small break in the private sector.
Stopped reading after this. It's a lot easier when your way of making money is just taking it from everyone else at an unjustifiably higher rate than the plebs can attain without state extortion.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,387,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm thinking the DOD naval shipyards to be exposed to those sorts of hazards and to have such a high salary without a college degree (e.g., started working as a Fed at age 19).

Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,399,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
This is a taboo subject but for people in or near retirement it's important to at least start thinking along these lines. Having contingency plans and being prepared is important and not just for economic/social reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'd suggest growing one of the newer "cash crops" - and I'm not talking about tobacco.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd suggest growing one of the newer "cash crops" - and I'm not talking about tobacco.
Not in Tennessee. But the OP might still be able to turn an old tobacco farm into cash crops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement