Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:40 AM

107,295 posts, read 109,675,104 times

Advertisements

timing is everything with gold . miss the window and it can be decades of waiting . in the mean time you may have done better all that time in a cd .

http://www.servowealth.com/resources...nvestment-ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:17 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,700,861 times
I don't consider gold or silver as "investments." I don't try to time the market to buy and sell. I do consider gold and silver to be a store of wealth for use if the normal economy goes belly up. So, I have some.

In much of the world, gold is considered "money." Over in Asia, for example, there seems to be a gold store every block or so. They post the buy and sell prices in the store window every morning. The gold jewelry they sell is almost pure gold. For many people, their gold jewelry is their savings account.

Just the other day I was going to buy some more gold or silver. Maybe I'll do that today.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:32 AM

10,419 posts, read 14,657,834 times
Gold isn't only a wondrous investment; it's a whole life. Some of us like to go right to the source in addition to buying physicals, derivatives, mining stocks, etc. Here's my favorite Youtube celebrity doing his stuff.

There's so much to learn and enjoy about gold nvestments, but these two videos are great. Remember: gold bugs never die poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scpd91ZYrEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzhBjaFSsPg

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 12-22-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 05:45 AM

10,419 posts, read 14,657,834 times
Here's another one. It's almost as much fun as sorting dollar bills was when the silver certificates were worth $1.30. The wild days are over for now, but there's still plenty of money to be made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej4Z61w2wnc

Old 12-22-2015, 06:49 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,969,867 times
Gold, like many investments is a matter of timing. If you asked now, it doesn't look so good. But I'm not selling now. Now its a secure investment, and imho, will go much higher in the future. So then, I'm betting, it will be a great investment.

Remember, Apple at one time was a lousy investment, going nowhere. Then the iphone and other products came out. Then it turned into a great investment. Timing is everything.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,398,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Gold, like many investments is a matter of timing. If you asked now, it doesn't look so good. But I'm not selling now. Now its a secure investment, and imho, will go much higher in the future. So then, I'm betting, it will be a great investment.

Remember, Apple at one time was a lousy investment, going nowhere. Then the iphone and other products came out. Then it turned into a great investment. Timing is everything.
You are comparing apples and oranges --- excuse the pun....

Apple is a company that makes products, it has economic value. God bless those that bought in when the stock was trading for a few dollars.

Other commodities like oil or natural gas at least help run the economy.

Gold doesn't do anything. It sits there. It doesn't run machinery, you can't burn it to produce electricity. It has no value other than that you are hoping someone else will agree to pay more than what you bought it for.

Read what Buffett (the greatest investor of our time) says about it.

There are MANY better options than gold.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 AM

the problem with gold is over these extended periods of time that gold is supposed to be a store of value it always ended up being bested by something else .

in the end just about anything would have been a better place to put cash .

i can see a 5 or 10% position but the reality if all turns to crap gold may be worth little as who in the right mind would spend money on non essentials investing in gold when they lost everything .

yeah , i know we all know someone with a story of buying their way to freedom and most are likely just story's . most folks had their valuables confiscated or were robbed and murdered for them .

in fact in germany when they had soaring inflation bartering was the way of doing business .

if you want something to protect in total chaos learn a skill you can barter with .

Old 12-22-2015, 08:38 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,239,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges --- excuse the pun....

Apple is a company that makes products, it has economic value. God bless those that bought in when the stock was trading for a few dollars.

Other commodities like oil or natural gas at least help run the economy.

Gold doesn't do anything. It sits there. It doesn't run machinery, you can't burn it to produce electricity. It has no value other than that you are hoping someone else will agree to pay more than what you bought it for.

Read what Buffett (the greatest investor of our time) says about it.

There are MANY better options than gold.
One of the ironies of gold is that invariably the people who hold or advocate holding gold as an investment are almost always fearful of currency and equities and often refer to the modern financial system as a "ponzi scheme" ... and yet they themselves are pouring money into an ultimate ponzi scheme: something that has absolutely no use or value unless they can convince somebody to buy it from them because they're afraid the modern financial system is a "ponzi scheme".

Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,527,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would be surprised if there are more then 1 or 2 retirees here who would even buy gold at any point in the past . as you see most are gun shy of even main stream investing .
There may be more than you think.

I accidentally bought gold below $300 in 2001, and silver below $5. A lot of it, all physical. It was the first time I'd ever owned anything like that. I just stashed it in my business safe, and let it sit for 11 years.

I missed the peak in 2011, but not by too much. I sold it all but a core posirion, in early 2012. The gold was a 5-bagger, the silver a 6+ bagger for me. Took the profits and plowed them into some energy stocks, which also did well for me, until I sold to buy...well, you get the idea.

All in all, I'm not sorry I took that ride. It was a fun trip!

Old 12-22-2015, 08:53 AM

like we said gold is about timing the market not time in the market .

if you held it a typical accumulation stage spanning decades like you do conventional investments you would have lagged way behind with that money . you could have picked almost any typical accumulation time frame and it would have played out the same .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement