Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times

Advertisements

I mentioned earlier the option of getting a trailer left for a few days at each end and transported in between. My neighbor packed his himself and mentioned that it was possible to hire one or more helpers from them at each end also. The more stories I read, the more I think I will do that. I can't pack a truck without injuring myself but I could direct it well enough. I think I will make sure I allot a few days on each end in case I get bad help. I'll send that helper away and ask for another if that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:03 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
I used Graebel Van Lines for a move from Wisconsin to Nevada and was very pleased with the service. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I had no breakages and the loading and unloading crews were excellent. While I'd whittled down my belongings a lot, it was a full house move with probably more paintings and books than the average. I did all of the smaller packing myself to save money but they handled anything bigger than my small TVs. I purchased boxes from the company for all of the fragile items and also some "wardrobe" boxes for some nicer clothing. The rest was packed in boxes I'd saved myself and in some with lids that I purchased from the local hardware store. The company kept me informed about their progress and arrived at my new house exactly when they said they would. I believe they're a national company and I recommend at the very least getting a quote from them. I think I also got quotes from Mayfair and Allied but they were quite a bit more expensive.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
We used United Van Lines. But the salient point is who did someone use locally. Apparently each local business operates independently, although allied with some larger mover. We used a the St. Louis mover, A. Mrazek. We were quite pleased with their service. They handled the arrangements for moving a car, and did everything they said they'd do. You need to interview several local affiliates and ask a million questions. Also, be sure to check the BBB to see how they resolved complaints. You might also check Angie's List, if you have access to that. (Our experience with Angie's List has been mixed.)

When you get an estimate, you should get a guaranteed estimate immediately, by someone who knows the business. They should print your estimate out from an IPad or similar. Be sure to ask about storage conditions, fees, and ask if you can be present when your load is weighed.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2015, 08:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I used Graebel Van Lines for a move from Wisconsin to Nevada and was very pleased with the service. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I had no breakages and the loading and unloading crews were excellent. While I'd whittled down my belongings a lot, it was a full house move with probably more paintings and books than the average. I did all of the smaller packing myself to save money but they handled anything bigger than my small TVs. I purchased boxes from the company for all of the fragile items and also some "wardrobe" boxes for some nicer clothing. The rest was packed in boxes I'd saved myself and in some with lids that I purchased from the local hardware store. The company kept me informed about their progress and arrived at my new house exactly when they said they would. I believe they're a national company and I recommend at the very least getting a quote from them. I think I also got quotes from Mayfair and Allied but they were quite a bit more expensive.

I used Graebel to move from the Chicagoland area to Tucson. I did get quotes from Allied and United but they were a lot more. I was unhappy with the quote prices and the fact that I had to place the goods into storage BUT they were still $2,000 cheaper than the others as they underestimated the weight of the shipment. The load, shipping, and unloading were great.

Over the years, I have used all of the major national firms - Mayflower, Allied, United and a couple of others. This was the FIRST time that I had actually had to PAY for a move as prior ones were corporate moves.

A few things. First, most of the majors use local franchises. Some are very excellent, some are pretty terrible. The only BAD experience has been on my Cleveland to Chicago move using the Cincinnati based Mayflower affiliate. We had professional packers and loaders set up on both end of the move. The driver canceled that and used his teenaged kids. You can guess how much damage there was.

On this move, we packed all the books, all of the non-fragile items and all of the clothing. I bought MOST of the moving boxes from second hand stores and collected HUNDREDS of wine and liquor boxes from various liquor stores. You can buy boxes used or collect them from people who just moved in.
Most people will give them to you or sell them to you for a small amount.

Do remember one thing. The cost of moving is largely based on two factors - DISTANCE and WEIGHT. The more you take, the more you pay. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you get rid of all of the junk in the months before you move. Most people take a lot more than they need to. Unfortunately, we sold our house in 30 days and had to move very quickly. Ask the movers for an estimate of what each pound costs and make your decisions. Our cost was about $0.65/ lb. We gave a lot of stuff away to charities and to my friends.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
If you hire workers to load, or unload, the truck are they insured or just casual labor? My concern is that if one slips who would pay for any medical?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM

197 posts, read 208,928 times
We used Arpin. Moved household about 2000 miles, 3 years ago. Cost us about $5K. I'd rate them about a C+ .

Only thing I'd do differently would be to move less furniture. Just buy furniture here.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I used ABF U-Pack and I would not recommend them. Many items were broken or damaged. Unfortunately it took me so long to unpack that I could no longer file claims. Most of the damage I'm sure came from them loading and unloading my stuff multiple times in the 8 WEEKS it took to get it delivered. But the people were nice. It was a crew from Israel.

But let me tell you what I really learned from this experience. Honestly I should have just gotten rid of all of it and moved only my personal possessions. Used furniture costs next to nothing and what fits properly in one house seldom fits in the next. I would have saved a lot of time and money if I had done this!

I should have packed what I could in the car/s and mailed myself the rest!
Wow! I thought that with U-Pack that you packed the stuff in the trailer and they drove THAT trailer--that they did not move it to another trailer or repack it. That is what I thought one of their main selling points was.

Why did they repack yours?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If you hire workers to load, or unload, the truck are they insured or just casual labor? My concern is that if one slips who would pay for any medical?
It depends on how you hire the local folks--and the honesty of the local company. I have moved several times and sometimes they use permanent employees of the company--those would be insured. BUT often they use day laborers as 'private contractors' and do not have insurance, etc. on them and then you will get sued....

Old 09-27-2015, 10:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Good point.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Good idea to ask for their insurance (and verify it)
You can get a 'binder' - extension of coverage for some home owner policies if YOU are directing their work (do keep your liability umbrella paid up).

My Home owner's insurance is business / home / farm, it covers liability for laborers, (as long as they are not someone ELSE'S subcontractor.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement