Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:31 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,029,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzee8 View Post
Pardon the delay in responding...

"Peaked" vs. "Piqued" per se...

Cody, Wyoming was just getting into gear for Spring. Some businesses were just opening, and the folks there were not at their friendliest...which is understandable. Making a living and getting up and running are first and foremost. It was just the general feel of the town. There are some places that you go to, and you feel a "sense of place" or "Small comfort". It's hard to put that in words. Again...when we stopped for gas, or walked around, or went into businesses...more people were interested in our truck, than talking to us. We would try to engage in any kind of conversation, (and we're fairly friendly folk, but not overtly so), we were politely "set down". And then, usually, a comment would be made about our truck. It is just a truck. We've never had anything like that happen before. It was different, and not the most pleasant thing. But then, we want a real feel for what people are like.

Since being back in ABQ, NM, I've been seeing and hearing more about water problems and the winds really picking up across WY. I find the last part to be a HUGE generalization.

As for Colorado...I've already posted my interest in the state. We recently returned from an extended visit. Rifle, Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Georgetown, Golden, outskirts of Denver, Cripple Creek, Pueblo, Canon City, Trinidad, and a few others. What we experienced on our trip...not just with eyes, but in conversations and observances, were definite dividing lines in 5 areas. Gun control, water rights, mineral rights, water itself, and the marijuana issue. We've had interactions with "potheads", with a couple of "legitimate dispensary owners", pro and con gun people, folks wanting to make sure they can get or hang on to mineral and water rights, and those not quite sure how well the aquifers are doing. We've also had discussions with the "old-timers" ranchers and farmers from families I used to know. They dislike the gun restrictions, the "weed", and the difficulties of water and mineral rights. (Their words.)

Perhaps I should just post our revised views of what we are looking for. My husband has changed his mind so many times, and I am ready to just stick him in the "truck" and head for the hills.

He is a HAM operator. He would like a shooting range nearby. He reloads. I would like a "working" garden. i.e. vegetables, herbs, a fruit tree or two. (Greenhouse?) We are both moving a little slower, but doing well. We'd like a medical center within driving distance. We would also like to be able to go for a walk in the mornings or afternoons or evenings or all, depending on seasons. We like 4 seasons. We are tired of the desert southwest. 17 years in Vegas and the heat and 13 years in Albuquerque. The dirt and dust and crowds and noise is really, really getting to us. We'd also like to be near green mountains/hills and a body of water...i.e. lake, small river, stream...(duck pond is feasible). And, and old-fashioned thing...I'd like to be able to hang laundry on a clothesline, outdoors. We have a solid retirement income and would be looking to purchase a home with at least 1 acre.

For those of you that may take offense to my post...I'll say something that a friend of ours says, when anyone whines or tackles and issue just for the sake of tackling an issue..."Suck it up, Princess."

This post was/is OUR experience. Colorado and Wyoming are the states we are looking at for permanent retirement. We need to make a FINAL decision pretty soon. So, any helpful ideas, suggestions, towns/cities to look at, etc...would be appreciated. Derogatory comments and general negativity/nastiness will not be acknowledged. Life is waaay to short to waste on that.

Thank you.

P.S. To those of you that had responded to my previous posts in other areas...thank you. It was appreciated and utilized.
Curious of your impression of Canon City CO. I passed thru there in 1989 and it was on my list of retirement destinations but I re-located elsewhere.
Happy here in the Ozarks of Arkansas but curious about Canon City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:52 AM
mlb

4,970 posts, read 4,471,909 times
I just had a coworker come back from a drive vacation and she and her spouse fell in love with Steamboat Springs, CO.

I reminded her they do have winter there......

Old 08-04-2016, 09:19 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,029,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I just had a coworker come back from a drive vacation and she and her spouse fell in love with Steamboat Springs, CO.

I reminded her they do have winter there......
Which is why Canon City perked my interest.
My brother-in-law lived in the mountains and said if one got sick of the cold and snow a drive to Canon City was like being in a different climate.
I believe Canon City has much milder winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement