Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
You are handling this well.

Your poor mom lying on the bathroom floor. It hurts to think about it.

We have 2 ladies that come in and cook and clean for my FIL. It's 5 days a week until around 5 or 5:30 PM but we have such peace of mind knowing he's OK for those hours. He's 91.

The falls and the fact that they are increasing would concern me greatly.

Please keep us updated.
Do I have any options? lol Seriously, I've always been the one to stay calm and deal with 'stuff'. It's later that I tend to deflate. Don't think that'll happen with this because, while it's really disconcerting and causes me to worry, it's not exactly life threatening.

If Mom had been on the floor it wouldn't have been QUITE so bad but she was crossways in the bathtub. Sat on the side of the tub and slipped backwards. The sliding doors prevented her from swinging her legs around and she couldn't push herself up. She had been brushing her teeth, got tired and sat on the edge of the tub. I asked her why she didn't just sit down on the toilet lid and she says she doesn't know.

Am hoping that once the antibiotics are done she'll improve a lot. We just have to wait and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of solution for people who tend to fall. Some kind of gadget to rescue them when they're about to fall. Maybe they could push around a walker on wheels, so if they fall, they fall into it, and grab it, and it keeps them from falling. Or any other solutions. It seems to be a problem for a lot of old people. If they don't want a walker because they can walk fine, maybe redesign it to make it for preventing falling but not for walking. Very light such that they can easily get in the habit of always having with them, to rescue them whenever they're about to fall. Someone needs to invent the perfect solution for that problem.
Mom was using the walker when she fell Monday night. Those things are so light though they can topple right over if you fall on one. Hers has wheels.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
UTIs are, as others have noted, VERY common in the elderly. The shocking thing is the effect they have on people that one would rarely guess is the result of an infection:

Mental confusion, sometimes even delirium
Lack of ability to track time
Forgetfulness
Difficulty carrying on a conversation
Fatigue
Sleepiness

The symptoms are often similar to stroke symptoms and are often present even if there is no fever. Most healthcare professionals these days check for UTIs even before a stroke when these symptoms are present, especially in women.

My mother's move into my house was instigated by her near death that was a result of a bladder infection. She even KNEW she had cystitis, but didn't tell anyone, assuming that it "would go away on its own." Her doctor's response to that statement? "That is exactly the kind of poor decision made by someone who is not in their right mind due to a UTI." So my mother now has to be watched constantly and carefully for these symptoms she still ignores.

One thing I have found that helps her to circumvent these occurrences: cranberry juice. It's not an old wives tale. As WebMD explains it, "Researchers now believe that cranberries contain substances that prevent infection-causing bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract walls."

My mother puts about an eighth of a cup of dried cranberries in the cereal she eats every morning for breakfast and washes down her evening pills with a small juice glass of Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Her infections have been cut down from one every other month to less than once a year! She still complains about the taste but cannot deny it's made a big difference in something that's been a chronic problem for her for more than 20 years.
I've noticed more fatigue and sleepiness in Mom more than anything else. She sleeps a LOT. She gets things mixed up sometimes or she'll give me information that isn't accurate. Yesterday she was trying to call one of my brothers. The call when to his voice mail and I could hear the recording but she was talking like it was HIM. And then she'd say his name over and over like she does when we have an answering machine and she wants us to pick up if we're there. She was also talking about all the maintenance "she" wants to do around here and I just say "Okay, we'll work on that".

Unfortunately Mom can't 'do' cranberries or cranberry juice. Something about one of her meds that won't mix with it. Not exactly sure what that is but it's what she told me a long time ago when she first went on it. I never had ANY idea that a UTI could affect someone that way but I guess I know now and will be more vigilant!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
While this presents a good idea, it's worth noting that people with Parkinson's Disease tend to fall backwards, rather than forwards. I learned this in the years of caring for my husband, who had PD.
Mom's falls have mostly been sideways because her left side just 'goes out' and down she goes. Poor thing is a mass of bruises and she hurts a lot. She does have some pain pills but doesn't like using them.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,458,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My nephew's daughter is starting tomorrow to stay with Mom most of the hours I'll be gone.
Hurrah!!
Quote:
Unfortunately Mom can't 'do' cranberries or cranberry juice. Something about one of her meds that won't mix with it. Not exactly sure what that is but it's what she told me a long time ago when she first went on it.
If it's been a long time, might want to ask the pharmacist if the ingredients/fillers have changed. She may well be able to handle cranberries now. (My Mom had reactions to everything, it seemed. If the drug company changed a filler, boom!, something wasn't right. You name a reaction, she had it )

Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Hurrah!!

If it's been a long time, might want to ask the pharmacist if the ingredients/fillers have changed. She may well be able to handle cranberries now. (My Mom had reactions to everything, it seemed. If the drug company changed a filler, boom!, something wasn't right. You name a reaction, she had it )
Yes! It's a relief to me! I'm home for lunch and dropped in to check on Mom. She's doing fine, no falls and is enjoying having her great granddaughter there. It's been way too long since they've bothered to come see her. I know, they are just kids and have lives, but still...once in a while wouldn't kill them.

I rescheduled my mom's dr. appointment, since she refused to go Tues! I am going into the office with her and will ask the doc about that prescription and cranberries. I drink cranberry juice a lot. I am, in fact, a 'juiceaholic'...lol I always have lots of all kinds in the pantry.

Okay...back to the slave pit...I mean work. I can tell you I am so tired that it's been a chore so far. The last two days were literally non-stop. Maybe I should use work as my 'rest area'. lol

Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM

51,671 posts, read 25,914,470 times
Quote:
As most of you know, my mom is now 87, owns her own home, etc. and lives alone. be this is partly a 'letting off steam ' and partly an "I'm really worried" post. Not looking for a lot of advice but will take if given. You guys are pretty smart and this is a first for me. Thanks for reading!
My mom is 87 jumped out at me. Perhaps things will improve a bit once the infection is cleared up. But for how long?

It's great that the grandniece (?) is sitting with her during the day. But for how long?

Our neighbor lived in her own home until she was nearly 90. But she had a lot of help to do that. If your family is willing to set up a rotating schedule to sit with her so she doesn't end up spending the day trapped in a tub, hallelujah.

If not, it's time to start looking for some different living arrangements.

I wish you the best on this. Sometimes it takes a crisis to prompt the move. But getting your ducks in a row ahead of time helps.

Good luck.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
My mom is 87 jumped out at me. Perhaps things will improve a bit once the infection is cleared up. But for how long?

It's great that the grandniece (?) is sitting with her during the day. But for how long?

Our neighbor lived in her own home until she was nearly 90. But she had a lot of help to do that. If your family is willing to set up a rotating schedule to sit with her so she doesn't end up spending the day trapped in a tub, hallelujah.

If not, it's time to start looking for some different living arrangements.

I wish you the best on this. Sometimes it takes a crisis to prompt the move. But getting your ducks in a row ahead of time helps.

Good luck.
Yes, Mom just turned 87 last month. I am hoping things improve with the antibiotics. She has an appt. with the doc on the 24th. Don't know how long she'll stay better but I've sure thought about it. I know that she'll never be 100% again. That's a given. It's weird for me, in a way, because all my life my mom has been strong and independent. So seeing her go downhill this way is disconcerting. I've never had to worry that she couldn't still do the necessary day to day things, although I HAVE been really on guard for the past year or so. Thing is she's no longer INSISTING that she can and she even listens to me...most of the time...about what's best at the moment. Unless she's convinced I'm wrong. lol

My temp caregiver is my great niece and Mom's great grand daughter. I will only have her for two weeks at the most because her other job may open up again. Maybe only one week. We should see some improvement from the antibiotics in about a week. She's had a good two days so far and I watched her get around today with no problem. Just verrrry slow, which is good. I will, for sure, work it out so my mom has someone around when I can't be. Whether I have to pay or I find some agency help.

Right now one of my brothers is kind of staying at Mom's. He's a truck driver and leaves out around midnight and gets home late afternoon. I'd feel better if he were there all night but at least he's there till she gets good and asleep. She seldom wakes up in the night. We are still waiting to hear from that Life Alert lady. I need to get someone working on that.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:14 AM

293 posts, read 559,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Just remember, don't begrudge her the help she needs. She took care of you and your siblings for years. She deserves the care in return. Not only that, but you set a good example for your own children. If you set a bad example, your children can learn from that too.
Although this wasn't the OPs issue, I'd like to mention that not everyone feels that our parents are deserving of the extreme sacrifice required by extended caregiving just because they managed to keep one or more offspring alive until adulthood. Also, not everyone welcomes unsolicited advice from total strangers about what one's obligations are and how one ought to feel about them.

Just sayin....

Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 AM

110 posts, read 456,733 times
It sounds like you are doing a great job helping your mother. She is lucky to have you around.

It sounds like she needs to have a part-time home health care person around. That person could help you better determine your mom's needs.

Also, you might consider assisted living. My mother was very happy there. It was like apartment living only with staff around to help. They provide meals. For my mother having people around increased her quality of life.

We have been through this with our parents, and I know it is a hard time for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement