Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM

106,861 posts, read 109,114,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I have full dentures and have no problems whatsoever.

I find your comments to be quite condescending( as usual )

Implants on the full bottom will run at least $35,000.

Easy to talk smart when that amount of money is no big deal. !
don't like my comments ,don't read them!

that is certainly my opinion on full bottoms , not a partial. I lived with them for 1 year and was miserable.

the motion of the tongue while chewing would require them to be re-polygripped every meal.

it sucked for me!

had 6 implants put in the bottom and a non removable full set of dentures.

no different from your own teeth.

tops are no problem , dentures work fine. I would never consider implants on top. no reason to really from a functional standpoint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
If you go with Care Credit, make sure you TOTALLY understand the terms:

Dental-Care Credit Card to Pay for Deceptive Practices | Dollars and Dentists | FRONTLINE | PBS
When I got it, there was a brochure to read that explained this. There was absolutely no deception at all. Maybe some people didn't bother to read the information provided, or (to give them the benefit of the doubt) maybe they never received the information.

What you said about having to pay it off in full is true. It's exactly what I said in my post. If it were not for Care Credit I wouldn't be able to pay the dental bills.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,753,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Okay I have heard this and believe it to be true. We spend more in our senior years on dental then we did our whole lives. Expect to pay something. Having dentures is okay. I have a full upper and partial lower. As one said here the lowers are the worse to have as a partial.

For the complete set uppers and lowers you can expect to pay higher for implants. Each set should consist of 6 implants. That would be 12 in all. This will give you the best support for the max teeth. When I retire I am replacing my uppers with implants. I also expect that my lowers will need replacing maybe. If not I will probably get a locator post implanted for my lowers.

As tempting as that sounds I would be leary of having my dental work done in Mexico. I am of the school of thought that "you get what you pay for".

I am just saying.

My last comment on dentures is that it will never be the same. I have uppers as I said. I remove them every night. In the morning I still feel the palat in my mouth and it feels like I dont have room in there for my tonue too. Also some foods are weaker because the taste buds in the top of your mouth cannot taste them. Chocolate is one. Just FYI.

............" you get what you pay for ".......

Dentists who over charge love to have people like you spreading that mantra.

I knew people that 20 years ago got full dentures at their family dentist and the cost exceeded $10,000 and was a lengthy, drawn out process because the dentist was very slow.

In November of 2010 I had all my teeth pulled in 1 hour 15 minutes and ordered top of the line dentures. Included in the price was 5 adjustments as my gums healed and shrunk.

Total price........$3405

They fit great and I receive compliments on how good they look.
I leave them in all day even when lifting weights and exercising.
No problem whatsoever ! I forget they even are in .

I laugh at people who justify dentists who over charge by stating......' you get what you pay for "

Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
I just don't want dentures so I will pay whatever I have to pay for implants, crowns, etc -- and yes, use a credit card, or a special medical credit card, etc, as needed.

I have had bad dreams my entire life about losing my teeth so I have spent a lot of effort and money, as well, trying to preserve teeth that genetically were not the greatest.

If you have no recourse but go with dentures, be sure to check out what types might be available to you. Folks have described several different ways to go about replacing one's teeth . . . explore them all and make sure you understand what you are getting.

I have known far too many folks who hate their dentures and do not wear them regularly, resulting in changes in their jawline and soft palate and gums -so after a while, they no longer fit, resulting in more pain and the need for new dentures.

Just research and know what you are getting!!!! No amount of money saved can compensate for misery with one's teeth, appearance, ability to eat, etc.

I would add - not everyone has an easy time with extractions, either. I won't get into my personal horror stories but yeah . . . be informed.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,011,288 times
So far I'm holding onto a mouth full of crowns and fillings. I hope I never have to make a decision about implants. The whole idea of them scares the bejeebies of out me. And now I'm learning that a lot of people reject their implants, just like a body rejects some transplants.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,102,503 times
Quote:
............" you get what you pay for ".......

Dentists who over charge love to have people like you spreading that mantra.

I knew people that 20 years ago got full dentures at their family dentist and the cost exceeded $10,000 and was a lengthy, drawn out process because the dentist was very slow.

In November of 2010 I had all my teeth pulled in 1 hour 15 minutes and ordered top of the line dentures. Included in the price was 5 adjustments as my gums healed and shrunk.

Total price........$3405

They fit great and I receive compliments on how good they look.
I leave them in all day even when lifting weights and exercising.
No problem whatsoever ! I forget they even are in .

I laugh at people who justify dentists who over charge by stating......' you get what you pay for "

I agree but that might be before Aspen Dental or other dental service companies. I too had all of my uppers removed and some lowers and my total cost here in the good old US of A was 4k. That also included the anestisia as I was not going to sit there on novacaine. Now my point was on having dental work in Mexico. If you got your dentures in Mexico you paid too much including having the adjustments.

I leave my teeth in all day too. I still know they are there. I try to forget they are there but I cannot. They are not the same as my original teeth. Do not get me wrong they fit perfectly. I can do anything I used to but they will never be my real teeth.

Now as to spreading mantra I beg to disagree. I am not spreading any mantra. I only pointed out as to how many implants that would be needed per set (upper and lower) to make a good set of implanted teeth. I didnt mention that it could be 2 to 4 thousand dollars per implant. In fact I didnt say anything like that. I can tell you that the more implants you have done at once the less it will cost per.

So please do not yell at me for your misunderstanding of what I said. It was plain English

Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,203,081 times
Sometimes it's a good idea to get a second or third opinion. I was advised 17 years ago to have a bridge to replace an extracted upper molar. Another dentist felt a spacer was sufficent as long as I didn't have problems. So for 17 years, I wore a simple spacer instead of a bridge. Then, about two years ago, the adjacent molar had to come out (it had lasted a longer time than expected). The surgeon who took out the molar said implants were needed. My own dentist was not so sure, he wanted me to have another opinion by the head of the prosthodontics dept at a teaching hospital. That doctor told me I didn't need implants because of the positioning of my teeth ... unless I just wanted to have them. For the past two years, I have gotten along fine without anything being done.

I'm sure I was just very lucky. Most people who are recommended implants will need them (or dentures), but second opinions never hurt.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-02-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,948,379 times
Implants generally cost on average in excess of $3,000 per tooth. My wife is in the process of having two of them done and the implants, combined with the extractions and the temporary "flipper" cost over $8,000. We are using Care Credit as mentioned before and have 24 mos same as cash to pay them off.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM

508 posts, read 664,256 times
Quote:
I have full dentures and have no problems whatsoever.

I find your comments to be quite condescending( as usual )

Implants on the full bottom will run at least $35,000.

Easy to talk smart when that amount of money is no big deal. !
My dad was going to get implants before he died, and while they were going to be expensive, it was nowhere near $35,000. More along the lines of something around $2k. These were "implant supported dentures" rather than full implants - perfectly acceptable under the circumstances.

The problem with lower dentures is they invariably fit poorly, and for some reason many people lose more bone mass in the lower jaw than the upper - so lower dentures are a lot harder to fit, to fit comfortably, and to keep in. My dad could no longer use a conventional lower plate AT ALL the last few years of his life because there just wasn't enough bone left to retain it.

I, too, would rather stick pins in my eyes than have to deal with a lower plate.

Its nice that you have full dentures and have no problems with them, but that is not the case for most people. My dad had problems with his dentures for nearly 50 years before he died.

Not sure what your issue was with the statement about problems with lower plates - Angry bird is angry I guess ...

Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM

730 posts, read 1,306,021 times
I wonder if there is a wide discrepancy in the cost of crowns depending on where you live? (meaning in the USA, not elsewhere) I've had to have several crowns done and they were always in the neighborhood of $850 or so. They are porcelain fused to metal.

For myself, I would never have implants even if I could afford them (which would never be the case anyhow, LOL). The idea of having my jaw drilled into just gives me the shudders. Drilling into actual teeth is bad enough!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement