Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,635,784 times

Advertisements

You guys like 30, eh? I go to a younger and that's when I started college. Boy the world opened up to me. Made me what I am today and I continue to be enthralled with what the world has to offer. Well I try along these lines. And I'll bring in a 'weather' motif that kind of has served me well lately.

I got it from a piece of criticism directed at an Antarctic explorer who wasn't successful in the race to reach the South Pole and that 'race' was under some of the world's most brutal weather conditions. The comment really was that it didn't do him any good down there to complain about the weather as he supposedly did. Whether he actually felt that way may be true or not but when you look at the facts you just have to deal with what you're dealt with as best as you can under the circumstances. Of course, perhaps easily said than done but I think one has to go for it there and try to be 'positive'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,579,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oh, that's funny!
A 'tin' highrise!

With our two, the only 'stacking' involved is that the one in New York is "above" the one in Florida
"Tin highrise," hell. That's my Ozarks mansion he posted.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,610,012 times
I'm baffled as to why people would not want to start at 30 again and have more of life. (if you don't like 30, chose 20 or 38 or 40 or any age)

And you wouldn't need to live your same life over again - it could be a different life.

It sure beats dying. I would choose starting again at age 20.

When my 85 year old mother was waning, she and I talked about wanting to live another life over again - start at whatever age you wish - and she did not seem to want to live again either - not even with a different life.

Why is dying better than starting at 30 again or even younger? Does it have something to do with being religious?

Are religious people supposed to not want another life span?

I think this might be a little too wandering off topic - but it baffles me to the point of shock!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,559,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm baffled as to why people would not want to start at 30 again and have more of life. (if you don't like 30, chose 20 or 38 or 40 or any age)

When my 85 year old mother was waning, she and I talked about wanting to live another life over again - start at whatever age you wish - and she did not seem to want to live again either - not even with a different life.

Why is dying better than starting at 30 again or even younger? Does it have something to do with being religious?

I think this might be a little too wandering off topic - but it baffles me to the point of shock!
Why would I want to do it all over? I'm done with that time in my life. I would not want to have to go back to work or worry about having a good retirement later. I wouldn't want to be raising kids during these times.

Certainly has nothing to do with religion as I'm not religious.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,978,830 times
Quote:

My mother in law is 92 , in good health, her own apt; in a place with lots of friends, etc, she thinks she has lived too long, partly because the money is running out and she could be on the street , so to speak ...

Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,978,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Why would I want to do it all over? I'm done with that time in my life. I would not want to have to go back to work or worry about having a good retirement later. I wouldn't want to be raising kids during these times.

Certainly has nothing to do with religion as I'm not religious.
It all depends on how much fun you were having at 30...those years are hard to replace, but, we keep trying.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,610,012 times
Ameriscot, so being dead is better than being alive? And being dead is better than being young?

You would not need to have kids again. Having kids is a completely optional life choice. I chose not to have kids and I am happy with that decision.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,066,464 times
For me I'd like to be 19 again and halt time and change. I loved those carefree years ;my 57 Chevy and the life of that age more than any other really. I loved high school years even then.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,559,946 times
Quote:
Ameriscot, so being dead is better than being alive? And being dead is better than being young?

You would not need to have kids again. Having kids is a completely optional life choice. I chose not to have kids and I am happy with that decision.
I would regret it if I never had kids. I raised them in 70's and 80's. I wouldn't want to be raising them now. They are forced to grow up far too young.

I could go back to being 30 and die when I'm 40 never having had this time of my life which I love. I like being this age at this time. I would never want to trade having grown up in the 50's and 60's.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,707,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Glad you agree , and glad you have overcome your health problems, yes , that means all the tea in China.
It may be different for us Guys , I find life frustrating, retirement has been a bust as I lost so much in the commodities markets during the depression and before ( my timing was off ) Now I stay active , but depend on a wife way too much that has also grown tired of me. I feel trapped in a place where total independence at 72 would spell disaster considering we both own the remains of my business, her still being active. Ya I feel trapped in a loveless marriage and very loanly, yet active with projects like building a new house these last five years.
I think it is VERY different for men. I worked with 125 men (at least) for almost 30 years; I saw a lot of retirements after 20-30 years of working (in the same place, of course). So many of our retired guys would get seriously sick/chronically ill (and some would die) during the first two years of retirement that the guys coming up on retirement age either wouldn't retire or would come back to work PT (within the first 6-24 months). One man worked until he was 90. Anther worked until he was 72 -- and had to be pushed out. That was 4-5 years ago -- and he still hasn't recovered (from not working).

On the other hand -- this didn't happen to the women who retired. They were thrilled to be out of the rat race and traveled and/or played with the grandkids and/or did crafts. I wasn't thrilled, though (altho' I couldn't have possibly have stayed -- I was just too burnt out -- from 40- to 60-hour weeks). Took me a good 5-6 years to adjust to retirement -- and I worked PT or FT the first 3 years after retiring!!

If I could have gone back and worked just PT at the place I retired from -- H, they'd have had to carry me out on a stretcher!! About 100 years later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement