Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Duly noted. lol

On topic: Have any of you gents thought about the ratio of men to women, in the places you're entertaining? And then there's the age group..... I know a lot of men in their 50's who want to date women in their 30's, and plenty who want a woman their own age bracket.

For myself, 51 and single, I am hoping to find a nice RANGE in ages..... so the pickin's are greater. *I did NOT just type that*

bullie~
Bullie, you pose an interesting question that I never really reflected on. I originally had decided to leave the USA for financial reasons. I was concerned about the real estate market and wanted to move all my assets temporally out of the US with every intention of getting back in later on.

I was also tired of the cost of the NYC dating scene and the materialism of the women I was dating. I remember several young women I dated that told me there was a law that you must spend something like 4 or 6 months salary on an engagement ring. I would always say I was exempt as I was retired and no longer had a salary.

After making the decision to leave I had to make exploratory trips to LAM ( ticked most my boxes) and I was heavily leaning towards Costa Rica as it was in fashion at the time (along with Rio) on the Single Male forums I followed.

Remember, in the early 2000's there was not as much uptake on internet dating which I found myself an expert at in NYC.

In preparation, I subscribed to a new dating site that was LAM focused. In the first two weeks I had several hundred hits and not one from Costa Rica. I quickly changed my plans and decided to focus on Colombia and Peru.

Both, provided what I was looking for financially but border hopping and banking were easier in Peru. Colombia had prettier women in my target range but were more widely dispersed in and around Cali and Medellin.

I thought Peru had the advantage due to the sheer numbers who all had Lima in their profile. Much later I realized that this was a ruse as many women will spend 12-14 hours on a bus, just for the chance to bag a "Gringo" or the European counterpart known as "Vikingo", Being 5'11, blond and blue eyed, I fell into both groups and had to fight them off with a stick.

Being the "lifeguard" in the "Lima dating pool" and most guy's now leaving Costa Rica and Brazil for Medellin, which only accelerated with the closure of 4X4 and that other joint in Rio, I was quickly drowning and in need of "grounding". I was going on three dates a day and still meeting women and I hardly spoke a word of Spanish!

Throughout this time, I was dating my Wife and it was easy to see what a Gem she was and I have to give her credit for putting up with my antic's!

So in retrospect, I guess I really made my decision based on statistics as opposed to financial reasons!

As far as single women go, I remember when Jamacia was the "hotspot" for you ladies, they must have an internet group that caters to your needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Bullie, you pose an interesting question that I never really reflected on. I originally had decided to leave the USA for financial reasons. I was concerned about the real estate market and wanted to move all my assets temporally out of the US with every intention of getting back in later on.

I was also tired of the cost of the NYC dating scene and the materialism of the women I was dating. I remember several young women I dated that told me there was a law that you must spend something like 4 or 6 months salary on an engagement ring. I would always say I was exempt as I was retired and no longer had a salary.

After making the decision to leave I had to make exploratory trips to LAM ( ticked most my boxes) and I was heavily leaning towards Costa Rica as it was in fashion at the time (along with Rio) on the Single Male forums I followed.

Remember, in the early 2000's there was not as much uptake on internet dating which I found myself an expert at in NYC.

In preparation, I subscribed to a new dating site that was LAM focused. In the first two weeks I had several hundred hits and not one from Costa Rica. I quickly changed my plans and decided to focus on Colombia and Peru.

Both, provided what I was looking for financially but border hopping and banking were easier in Peru. Colombia had prettier women in my target range but were more widely dispersed in and around Cali and Medellin.

I thought Peru had the advantage due to the sheer numbers who all had Lima in their profile. Much later I realized that this was a ruse as many women will spend 12-14 hours on a bus, just for the chance to bag a "Gringo" or the European counterpart known as "Vikingo", Being 5'11, blond and blue eyed, I fell into both groups and had to fight them off with a stick.

Being the "lifeguard" in the "Lima dating pool" and most guy's now leaving Costa Rica and Brazil for Medellin, which only accelerated with the closure of 4X4 and that other joint in Rio, I was quickly drowning and in need of "grounding". I was going on three dates a day and still meeting women and I hardly spoke a word of Spanish!

Throughout this time, I was dating my Wife and it was easy to see what a Gem she was and I have to give her credit for putting up with my antic's!

So in retrospect, I guess I really made my decision based on statistics as opposed to financial reasons!

As far as single women go, I remember when Jamacia was the "hotspot" for you ladies, they must have an internet group that caters to your needs?
It sounds like you and I left the USA about the same time Alpineprince. I knew the real estate crash was coming. It was very clear to me when I saw my maid and gardener that could barely speak English buying $400,000 houses. LOL. With no documented income. I started looking at the CDO exposure and knew it was NOT a matter IF...it was just WHEN. Needless to say I sold all my USA real estate before it crashed.

Unlike you, I never complained about American women. I never ever had a difficult time dating and had a very active dating life. I also didn't leave for financial reasons as I had a great dream job and making lots of money. But I did want to explore some opportunities in South America so I moved.

I also think as a single male, you have to separate the P2P (pay to play...i.e. prostitute scene) vs. the normal girl scene. Obviously the two scenarios are quite different from one another. And to be honest some guys are looking for the P2P thingy and some are looking for the genuine non-pro thingy. So it's important and be honest to distinguish which camp you fall into.

I only mention this because you mention "4 X 4" which is a prostitution joint (terma) in Rio. And I assume you are speaking about Help Disco in Rio as well. Clearly that scene is MUCH different vs. some gentlemen that are looking for a totally non-pro scene.

My honest and objective feeling from someone that has never had a problem dating females in the United States or South America is that the females in South America are much more affectionate, genuine, caring, loving than their North American counterparts. Not to say there is anything wrong at all with American women, because I love them! But it's just different, IMHO.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM

437 posts, read 649,431 times
Wowza..... I sure got a couple responses that set me back a few paces. Being someone who fancies herself "old fashioned", and not of her own decade, I'm always sickened when I read of women asking for a specific amount of salary for a ring or looking to find a "Gringo" who can take care of her.

My question, and I'm hoping you gents understood the innocence, was looking at the census numbers of women per men.... age groups.... financial status<== that makes me sick to type, but it OBVIOUSLY is VERY important to *some" women..... ~read, a LOT~

And so I go back to my original question, asking if men are interested, or LOOKING, when thinking of retiring, at places where the ratio of women to men is greater.

Gotta say, aplineprince, your post was quite a read.

bullie~

Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 PM

162 posts, read 242,166 times
Where there are places there are women.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
Where there are places there are women.
Too basic.

Who is to say, if you don't do the demographics, if there will be women you are interested in dating? Head to a college town, where the amount of women in your age bracket is slim, your pickin's are gonna be slim.... unless of course, you're into women young enough to be your daughter.

*Hey.... not judging... to each....... their own*

bullie~

Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
And so I go back to my original question, asking if men are interested, or LOOKING,
when thinking of retiring, at places where the ratio of women to men is greater.
I figure if the local has "it" ... they would have found someone local already.
So aside from the really casual stuff the ratio won't (shouldn't) play much of a role.
It really wasn't any different in High School...

If you're seriously looking to find someone for something at the serious end of the scale...
you might be better off to find that person and then import them to your locale.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I figure if the local has "it" ... they would have found someone local already.
So aside from the really casual stuff the ratio won't (shouldn't) play much of a role.
It really wasn't any different in High School...

If you're seriously looking to find someone for something at the serious end of the scale...
you might be better off to find that person and then import them to your locale.
I am not in agreement. If a single person is looking for a place to retire, that doesn't mean they WANT to be stay single, so finding a spot where the demographics jive with what you're looking for, would be of importance.

And ummm... it's WAY different than it was, in high school. smh.........

bullie~

Old 07-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
If a single person is looking for a place to retire (and doesn't want to) stay single,
finding a spot where the demographics jive (with that) would be of importance.
That's the theory...

I'm suggesting that the reality (beyond casual stuff) doesn't play out that way.
That you'll have your pick of the local singles that all the other locals have already picked over.
Have at 'em.

Wherever that locale may be.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's the theory...

I'm suggesting that the reality (beyond casual stuff) doesn't play out that way.
That you'll have your pick of the local singles that all the other locals have already picked over.
Have at 'em.

Wherever that locale may be.
LOL.... TRUST ME, I know it's theory. There's no such thing as a SURE thing. When we were in our twenties, possibly and more likely. NOW? Not so much. And THAT, Mr. RATIONAL, is what I'm talking about.

ODDS.

VEGAS ODDS.

Gamble if you will, and I choose to, 'cause I'd rather have the odds stacked WITH me, than against me.

As far as finding someone, and "importing them"? *omg I just fell off my couch, laughing*.... That is hysterical. I'll stick with my Vegas odds, thanks.

bullie~

Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
ODDS. ... VEGAS ODDS.
Gamble if you will, and I choose to, 'cause I'd rather have the odds stacked WITH me, than against me.
Then it's purely about population density : age demographic.
The greatest concentration of 50+ adults per sq mile.

Miami and Manhattan should be at the top of the chart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement