Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 06:10 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So do I. I decided to not tell her what to do, but just listen.

She is an adult. Maybe one day she will come to her senses.

Just reviewing all the things i know of the family, i think that the parents just made it a priority for the children, all female, to find a husband and go on and be taken care of.

I'm friends with another sibling and she told me that I was different since i seemed to think of MYSELF first. Which is correct. My parents told me it was important for me to be able to take care of myself in any situation - so here i am - .

A selfish little witch -
It's not selfish to have self worth though and that's the missing link in a lot of relationships. You are smarter than the average bear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
At this point in time with my situation, I feel things are what they are and no amount of feeling sad or angry will change anything.

Live and let live. And work at enjoying your own life, no matter what your situation is.
Great advise. Why is this so hard to do sometimes!

Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The most common , shared, experence between estranged relationships with grown children is the long term separation. Its near an impossibility to changes lifestyle after so many years have gone by.
It is hard, and hard to when people do come together after years gone by. My son was gone 9 years and came back a different person altogether. It's been rocky and I dont trust him now, not to do it again. He is not show sympathy over any of it. I hope you all have better luck!

Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 AM

64 posts, read 62,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
I hope you will keep in touch. I want to know how/when you make it out. I'm rooting for you.
Thank You.

I certainly will keep in touch, it is nice to have a place to go to vent or release your troubles and people are actually listening.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
It is hard, and hard to when people do come together after years gone by. My son was gone 9 years and came back a different person altogether. It's been rocky and I dont trust him now, not to do it again. He is not show sympathy over any of it. I hope you all have better luck!
In my case I divoriced when my son was 5 years old. When he was little I tried to see him for the week end every month. My job took me thousands of miles away at times, so visits became irregular. We had little in common ,he grew up in an all female lifestyle. Every visits grew increasingly uncomfortable for both of us. As a teen he would fly out to Chicago and spend part of the summers with me, I liked that. As he got older we grew further apart,, then there was drugs, that I did not know about till one day his mother knocked on my door, pushed him in and said “,it’s your turn, I can not do anything more for him ! “ She never shared the drug problem, I had to find out the hard way.........I was ready to do all I could, private school, addiction help, one on one hard love. Sad to say the lifetime circle changed forever he got his mother to take him back rather than face my plans for him. From then on I drove out to Iowa 2-3 times a year, my mother was the only thing that made those visits happen........then after 20 years or so ,my mother died. My son disappeared for 8 years or so, then we did find each other on Facebook, at lest that was something after 10 years,,we still are friends ,that’s about it. He is in his mid 50s now, got sober I think, never married, maybe even a steady job. We have not talked for 10 years........I am now 78 retired, spend winters in warmer climates. I know I should try to visit as I drive thru Des Moines, going south in my motorhome, he thinks that would be good.........it’s yet to happen.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Are you estranged from your mom?
No. She's been deceased for years. She was a good person. Most of our estrangements have been w/ my husband's loony tune relatives.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Great advise. Why is this so hard to do sometimes!

It does not happen overnight. It takes years. Make no mistake, it is never forgotten.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
In my case I divoriced when my son was 5 years old. When he was little I tried to see him for the week end every month. My job took me thousands of miles away at times, so visits became irregular. We had little in common ,he grew up in an all female lifestyle. Every visits grew increasingly uncomfortable for both of us. As a teen he would fly out to Chicago and spend part of the summers with me, I liked that. As he got older we grew further apart,, then there was drugs, that I did not know about till one day his mother knocked on my door, pushed him in and said “,it’s your turn, I can not do anything more for him ! “ She never shared the drug problem, I had to find out the hard way.........I was ready to do all I could, private school, addiction help, one on one hard love. Sad to say the lifetime circle changed forever he got his mother to take him back rather than face my plans for him. From then on I drove out to Iowa 2-3 times a year, my mother was the only thing that made those visits happen........then after 20 years or so ,my mother died. My son disappeared for 8 years or so, then we did find each other on Facebook, at lest that was something after 10 years,,we still are friends ,that’s about it. He is in his mid 50s now, got sober I think, never married, maybe even a steady job. We have not talked for 10 years........I am now 78 retired, spend winters in warmer climates. I know I should try to visit as I drive thru Des Moines, going south in my motorhome, he thinks that would be good.........it’s yet to happen.
I say bravo to you for keeping in touch all those years, to you and to him that always came together again. That was not an easy life for any of you.
It would be great for your son to visit you. Travel is easier on the young man... You have the best of both worlds being able to travel to warmer climates in the winter. Way to go daystar!

Old 03-07-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
It does not happen overnight. It takes years. Make no mistake, it is never forgotten.
Yes, it leaves a scar doesnt it..
Thanks NYgal!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I moved 4000 miles overseas but only estranged from my daughters in law! Sons and grands are ok w G-ma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement