Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,793 posts, read 58,290,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...How many older, retired single men do you know? There are far more older, retired single women.
It Depends on your circle of friends. I have more single friends that are males who have 'somewhat' adapted to aging alone. Granted, statistics will easily favor majority of women being single and aged, and they are usually handling it quite well. Women are used to forming relationships, men +/-.

Both groups have the capability of making it work. Both groups have challenges.

I will have to say that I hear the single men acknowledge loneliness more so than the single women. Many of the guys are real 'softies' when they are able to let down their guard. They really do miss their partners and friends. At some points in life you lose more friends per yr than you make.

When spending time with elder lonely men, I just try to bring joy through those memories of friends and partners, and we laugh a lot together. Seems humor and food are good remedies for many of life's challenges. NEVER under estimate the power of food when dealing with the Male of ANY species.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-02-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 AM

5,339 posts, read 6,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai Frente View Post
We men should start a new Topic ....

Chapter One: Men Retiring Alone. Did you Do It ?

With complete respect, what's up with retired women and the fuss about their retirement ?

Last I checked men and women are equal !!

Cute.

U.S. Census: 2011

Median income of females living alone:
65-74 $16,474
75+ $14,590

Median income of males living alone:
65-74 $31,235
75+ $23,622

Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,093,551 times
Oh gosh. What I meant by this thread was a continuation of the very first post: Women retiring alone and moving to a new place alone. I had hoped to attract some of the women who had posted on the first thread to see how their plans had actually worked out, or not. I guess too many of those women have indeed moved on to another phase in their lives and are not on here any longer. Just wanted to know if women who had planned, researched and faced the fears of going somewhere alone to live actually DID IT. My idea truly is a flop.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM

18,742 posts, read 33,470,536 times
But the posts are a success!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It Depends on your circle of friends. I have more single friends that are males who have 'somewhat' adapted to aging alone. Granted, statistics will easily favor majority of women being single and aged, and they are usually handling it quite well. Women are used to forming relationships, men +/-.

Both groups have the capability of making it work. Both groups have challenges.

I will have to say that I hear the single men acknowledge loneliness more so than the single women. Many of the guys are real 'softies' when they are able to let down their guard. They really do miss their partners and friends. At some points in life you lose more friends per yr than you make.

When spending time with elder lonely men, I just try to bring joy through those memories of friends and partners, and we laugh a lot together. Seems humor and food are good remedies for many of life's challenges. NEVER under estimate the power of food when dealing with the Male of ANY species.
Took me a while to get the Depends reference. Hehehe, good one.

I was actually looking more at my mother's circle of friends. She's in her 80's, and almost everyone she knows is a widow.

At my age (54), I'm still in the world where almost everyone I know is a couple. People my age who are planning retirement are planning their moves in twos, and there isn't really anyone I can discuss the subject of the thread with, so that's why it interested me.

Like the OP, I would have enjoyed hearing their tales.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,393,849 times
I ‘m single woman who plans to retire in two years at age 60 and relocate to a different part of the country. So I am very interested in hearing the stories of other single people (both male and female) who did the same. I especially enjoyed reading LauraC and Caladiums’ thoughts on retiring early. I’m a little apprehensive about retiring at 60 as I have always been career oriented but want to retire while my health is good and I can enjoy travel and other activities.

Luckily I have some good friends at the new location but we won’t be seeing each other every day. And I am a real introvert who does not make friends easily so will have to make an effort to meet people. What overwhelms me initially is the thought of having to prepare my house for sell, sell it, plan the moving of my household goods and furniture, finding a house to rent for the first year in my new location, and physically driving the 1500 miles with 2 cats in tow. The last time I moved more than 20 miles was when I went 300 miles to college with a loaded VW bug at age 17.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,144,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I ‘m single woman who plans to retire in two years at age 60 and relocate to a different part of the country. So I am very interested in hearing the stories of other single people (both male and female) who did the same. I especially enjoyed reading LauraC and Caladiums’ thoughts on retiring early. I’m a little apprehensive about retiring at 60 as I have always been career oriented but want to retire while my health is good and I can enjoy travel and other activities.

Luckily I have some good friends at the new location but we won’t be seeing each other every day. And I am a real introvert who does not make friends easily so will have to make an effort to meet people. What overwhelms me initially is the thought of having to prepare my house for sell, sell it, plan the moving of my household goods and furniture, finding a house to rent for the first year in my new location, and physically driving the 1500 miles with 2 cats in tow. The last time I moved more than 20 miles was when I went 300 miles to college with a loaded VW bug at age 17.
What state do you plan on moving to?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,393,849 times
Popcorn, I'll be moving from Albuquerque to Central Oregon. I like New Mexico but am looking forward to moving to the mountain city of Bend and escape the hot summers and drought. Also wanted a smaller city than Albuquerque but large enough to have nice amenities.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:45 PM

113 posts, read 415,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post

Take it step by step.
You can do it ... !!
Not easy, but try at least.
Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Day by day !!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM

113 posts, read 415,826 times
Lenora:
US Census surveys are a joke - you should know that.
Women in the US have it made.
Don't think so, travel a little OUTSIDE the US ....
What's the old saying?
" .... Women have half the money and all the ____. "
And in most countries outside America, women have no money and all the ____.

Have an Awesome Weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement