Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 10:03 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

I moved from the Boston area to a mountain town in southwest Colorado last year at age 65, three months after I retired. No family involved on either end (or anywhere). I had vacationed many times since 1988 in this town, which changed and grew tremendously (relatively speaking) in recent years. I had to own because I have multiple dogs and they are critical to me, plus I knew that there were pretty much no rentals available. I also saw that, over one year, there were only two real estate purchases that I would have wanted- one condo, one house- that were small enough to interest me and afford. So I knew I had to build. I spent *a lot* of time on the internet, making contacts for computer care, vet care, dentist, primary doctor, volunteer possibilities. The internet was invaluable for my move.

I hired a wonderful moving company who did all my packing. Hired another local company to take stuff to the dump, the homeless shelter donation program and the library (12 boxes). Hired a dog transporter to drive 2200 miles with me- she took the two girls, I drove the two boys. We sort of convoyed across country. She drove like a maniac and it took 3 1/2 days to get the 2200 miles. She seemed to know where we could stay with the dogs.

While still working, I had bought a building lot in the new town (2015) and hired a builder to build my 800 sq.ft. one-level cabin and told him I must have a fenced yard when I arrive for the dogs. I spent one week in the house before my stuff arrived and my one-week bag of stuff and phone had been stolen my first night on the road with a smash and grab in Columbus Ohio, so was wearing the same clothes for a week, sleeping on the floor without window coverings. Fortunately, it was a heat wave and humidity was EIGHT percent, so could wash out clothes at night and they'd practically crisp overnight.

If I hadn't found this town through my frequent vacations, I don't think I would have looked for a place to move to. I likely would have tried to find somewhere to go in the summer because I couldn't stand Boston-area humidity but would have had my multiple dogs to consider. If I genuinely couldn't afford the new town, I likely would have sucked it up and stayed in my very nice house back East (which I sold when I left, a realtor very decently handling the $17k of repair/sprucing up it needed. My former house was on the market for five days. Boston is nuts.)

I heartily recommend the internet for lining up/exploring all the basics of daily life in a new place. Lucky if there are rentals in a desirable place or you don't have pets.

Oh, and I junked my 15-year-old Toyota and bought a new Subaru with AWD, which I probably needed more for night driving to work near Boston than I have here in the mountains in retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 10:40 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
I see your on the West coast and I'm 70 on the East coast. My wife and I retired and were Snowbirds from MA to FL for 5 years before moving to FL year round and staying for 3 before moving out of the endless Summer of FL to our new 65 acre homestead in the mountains of WNC. We thought we could handle the H/H of Summer, we couldn't so moved further North, we get snow but it melts in a day or few.
I suggest crossing over at different seasons in order to get a feel for your desired areas, I'd fly over, rent a car, and cottage, or in winter stay at Motel of choice.
The OP started this thread on Feb 2013 and I was just adding to it. Giving the thread the info about our move to Colorado at our age (70/71) and why we are doing it.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
We retired to Charleston SC from Boston in 2002 at age 62. Now my wife was from SC but we chose Charleton when they were all in Columbia, 120 miles away. We downsized in house cost $500K to $200K but upsized in home size. When we moved we knew no one in Charleston. Ended up making friends based around a golf club we joined. Life was good.

In 2010 we started talking about dowsizing once more and moving closer to family in Columbia SC. We did it in 2011 (at age 70). One big issue was my "workshop". I decided as long as were were going small that is one thing that would have to be downsized. Also as I aged, my hobby became more like work and things I used to enjoy doing I no longer wanted to do. One thing I wanted out from under was any household projects. We downsized to a brand new 1500sq ft standalone home in an HOA. The HOA does all outside maintainence. Both landscaping and house exterior. Life is easier, simpler, less expensive, less complicated, and we are loving it.

I think this is JohnGolf's old handle from 2013?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 AM

To add a little to my last post...……..if it weren't that we miss Colorado that much, IOW, the things we did there, we wouldn't go at our age. But, we simply don't have the lifestyle here that we had/liked there.

We are also having our boat transported to northern Colorado. It will be on it's trailer and will hire someone with "boat hauling experience". That won't happen until May, since we already know that the last snow (typically) happens on Mother's Day Weekend there. We'd take it ourselves, but have absolutely no experience hauling a boat that far, and with the way many drivers drive on the freeways today, we figure it would be just to dangerous for us.

My wife's sister isn't shocked at all that we want to move back. She's visited us twice and found out about the heat and humidity.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I moved at 65, 1,000 miles away from my previous home for 35 years. I'm 70 now. My old friends in the midwest were amazed that I would leave the small, semi-rural, conservative town (where half the people were related to the other half) for a new place all on my own without friends or relatives. It was a no-brainer...I was 65 and if I didn't do it soon I'd die in that place and never live where I wanted to since I first saw New Mexico at age 10. In my experience, once you move away and shake off the dust of your former home you see things a little differently and wonder why you stayed so long.

There is a real learning curve when people of my age move. I never owned a well or a septic tank or used a swamp cooler or had thermal heating in the floor. I always had a basement for storing junk -- I can't do that here. That was all new and even after almost six years, I'm learning things. That's good for my brain and my mental processes -- to learn and experience something new.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:05 PM

747 posts, read 579,155 times
Anyone move at 70 alone and knew no one at destination?
No spouse, no kids, no friends? No job.

Change is very hard and I have anxiety/fear just thinking about it,
especially as I have been living in the same small apt. for decades.
We have our ruts that are so hard to break
I am an introvert anyway.

Was Another thread on this a while back.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We moved to another coast/latitude (Florida) in our mid/late 60's about 2+ years into retirement (2-years ago). While we moved to be nearer grandkids/daughter, but, had been in previous location for the previous 27 years.

We sold our place and then had a moving company do the packing/moving and then put most of our stuff in storage. We also rented a small truck with a tow bar so we could take enough personal stuff (and 2nd car) that we could rent a furnished place for a while, until we scoped-out the local area and housing market. The two part move didn't cost us anymore than a single move, except for added storage time/cost. Our plan was to rent for 6-months, but, we instead, moved in with our daughter & family and stored the rest of our stuff. The move/transition worked out very well. After six months, we made the decision to stay here, and also determined where we wanted to live ... and located the best house/condo and location for us (amenities, church, shopping, etc).

The difficult part has been trying to get re-established in a new area at our age. We no longer have the ministry connections, golfing/ quilting groups, long-term friends, community involvement, etc. ... plus, with no jobs/kids/established reputation, etc. - making meaningful friendships and new connections is much tougher than it used to be. The fact that our daughter and grandkids are here, has made a big difference! (Without that, we would probably feel a lot more disconnected).

The logistics of a move at our age is not that big of an issue ...unless you try to take on the entire physical move yourself ... like you said, you are no longer 20). My advice would be to take a serious look at what you have now (that you will be giving up) ... and your real expectations of the new location (eg; how much time and effort are you really willing to put into getting integrated into a new community, set of friends, activities, etc.). Then/when you decide to make the move, do it in stages that give you some flexible options to make necessary changes.
The above was 6+-years ago, we are now in our 70's... and the issues are pretty much the same. One additional thought regarding a later-in-life move is that if it doesn't work out as expected, the intervening years will have made an additional (corrective) move much more difficult.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:19 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I moved at 65, 1,000 miles away from my previous home for 35 years. I'm 70 now. My old friends in the midwest were amazed that I would leave the small, semi-rural, conservative town (where half the people were related to the other half) for a new place all on my own without friends or relatives. It was a no-brainer...I was 65 and if I didn't do it soon I'd die in that place and never live where I wanted to since I first saw New Mexico at age 10. In my experience, once you move away and shake off the dust of your former home you see things a little differently and wonder why you stayed so long.

There is a real learning curve when people of my age move. I never owned a well or a septic tank or used a swamp cooler or had thermal heating in the floor. I always had a basement for storing junk -- I can't do that here. That was all new and even after almost six years, I'm learning things. That's good for my brain and my mental processes -- to learn and experience something new.
Good for you, SunGrins! Now I see the source of your name. Your move took a lot of courage and resolve. I loved New Mexico! Similar to SE Utah where we were. Except you have the wonderful adobe/pueblo construction.

We left what you are now experiencing: swamp coolers, septic, well. Now we have the expense of traditional A/C. Not dry enough here. We moved over 4,000 miles.

Talk about learning curve: at 62, trying to learn Spanish and the metric system, LOL. Always running to Google translate or gram conversion charts. But, it's given us the courage for other international travel.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Anyone move at 70 alone and knew no one at destination?
No spouse, no kids, no friends? No job.

Change is very hard and I have anxiety/fear just thinking about it,
especially as I have been living in the same small apt. for decades.
We have our ruts that are so hard to break
I am an introvert anyway.

Was Another thread on this a while back.
We are married, but don't know a soul in Colorado. Just miss what the Front Range offered us, and we did, when we lived there for 5 1/2 years. We don't have to worry about a job, at least not as much as a young person would have to. A young person, or couple, would have to move to Denver metro, the Springs or possible Ft Collins to survive.

And, one very nice thing about me, I'm definitely NOT an introvert. I'm friendly and very talkative. Basically so is my wife. Years ago, I was a much quieter guy than I am now. Sure glad I broke out of that. My wife, well, she has learned from me how to be more "outgoing".

Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The OP started this thread on Feb 2013 and I was just adding to it. Giving the thread the info about our move to Colorado at our age (70/71) and why we are doing it.
That’s great!
I added info for new readers in case they need suggestions on relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement