Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,514,125 times

Advertisements

It becomes truer with retirement, when people become more sedentary.
Our brain matter definitely needs using or our faculties start to deteriorate.
What exercises do you do to help yourself from losing important functions?
My father continued to play the flute until the day before he died; he knew
me by the instrument I played. ( He was in a NH 95 yrs old)

Last edited by luvmyhoss; 01-23-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,500,446 times
I moderate a weekly current events discussion group in the building where I live. With the exception of myself (I'm 63+), the 20-25 participants range in age from 72 to 98. We talk about whatever is happening in the news, what people see/hear on television or at the movies. It's an engaged, intelligent group ... which craves continued relevance and participation in the world around them. Most don't get out of the house much anymore, all have lost spouses (they're mostly women) and at least once a week they can get together, test their thinking and engage in sometimes heated discussions. I've tried to back-out of the moderator role and end my participation. But they won't let me. I, too, frequently year the phrase ... "If you don't use it, you'll lose it." Of course, they're not just talking about discussions. A 95 year-old male participant has a new girlfriend in the building and she participates in the get-togethers. And they've begun having sexual relations (with one another). Or so the indication is!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
My dad was still active until a year before he died at 93. He was fishing and hunting, as well as reading the paper from cover to cover and involved in church.

To keep our minds busy, I play brigde and hubby is an avid reader. I read the paper as well, but not the way he does, nor do I read as many bookds. We also love trivia, watch mostly news programs on TV (well sports as well) and do some volunteer work.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
When coming back south this year, I couldn't find a suitable exercise group within a reasonable distance and the existing swim/excericse program wouldn't raise a sweat on a menopausal woman with hot flashes.

So got my butt in gear enough to get a 3 day-a-week one started right here in our community......right at the moment, ages are 70 to 80.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Yes, you need to KEEP up with the skills that take practice. For me that is MANY. I was invited to sing for the 30th anniversary DVD & Concert of a group I started (and had moved away 28 yrs ago)...

I had to BONE up to do that. Thanks to iPOD 'repeat' and some LONG flights, I made it work.

EYESIGHT, now THAT's a Problem and contrary to "use-it-or-lose-it". I was SO blessed to be able to do Precision machine / sewing / glass/ work and minature welding / brazing w/o glasses till age 50. I REALLY miss that, but probably need to upgrade from $0.99 reading glasses.

So many things to LEARN, I don't worry about LOSING it (except eyesight), but sure would like to GAIN some more instruments and languages.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,742,454 times
My fitness routine varies with how I'm feeling--at times aerobics aren't a good fit for me, but other times it's fine.

This morning I spent 20 minutes on an elliptical, then I did 30 minutes of Tai Chi. Yesterday I did upper-body weights (simple 5-pound dumbbels), and some stretching/breathing exercises plus some pilates for my stupid belly (uphill battle, that.) I also bike around town, and do a fair amount of walking.

For my mind, I read a lot, do a fair amount on the internet, plus I like crosswords and sudoku. I started doing the word jumble in the paper a while ago, and I've gotten much better at it. Try to change up the mental challenges--do new things, new experiences. I'm taking a drawing class right now.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
When I was teaching my beginner retiree internet classes, I told them "Use it or lose it" if they weren't doing at home what they learned in class. I told them it was no different than learning a foreign language. I thought they could relate to that.

I play computer word games. My favorite is Flip Words 2. Just don't call it "exercise" or I will lose interest. I also play some timed games in Bejeweled 3 which I think helps me to react faster. I belong to a nonfiction book discussion group so in addition to reading for learning about some person or topic, the give and take discussion will keep you sharp. I take classes. Posting in a variety of forums here on C-D doesn't hurt, either. Not worried about my brain. It's the rest of me that's deteriorating.

I think it goes back to me taking the same good and bad habits into retirement that I had when I was younger. When you have the same good ones that you had before you retired, it helps and when you have the same bad ones you had before you retired, it hurts.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
I think life long learning, and staying physically active is very important in retirement.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 AM

44,642 posts, read 61,669,787 times
I get out everyday and exercise by walking and then I do from 5-10 crossword puzzles every evening. Keeps your mind and body sharp.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 AM

106,777 posts, read 108,997,702 times
does the fact it keeps an old man from rolling out of bed at night count as using it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement