Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM

5,508 posts, read 5,258,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But I am always shocked when people vote based on what is best for THEM, rather than what is best for their COUNTRY overall.
Some of us think that the MORE money government confiscates, the WORSE our nation suffers. Actually, we KNOW it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,092,417 times
I see some good points, and some bad to the proposed plan, though it is somewhat short on details at present. To me the main thing is it at least brings a discussion of tax reform to the forefront. Not many politicians have the courage to propose something this different.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,103,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Some of us think that the MORE money government confiscates, the WORSE our nation suffers. Actually, we KNOW it.
I agree completely. The government has proven time and time again that it does not know how to efficiently (even ethically) handle the money they take from us.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,031,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
At least the 47% of citizens who pay ZERO income tax would pay something.
Isn't that a step in the right direction of defining "fair share"?

Nine percent of $millions is a drop in the bucket.

Nine percent of a $1400 SS check, minimum wage check, or earnings of 2.5% on a CD is not.

Once again it's the elite coming up with a proposed solution that only the elite could bear.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 AM

37,649 posts, read 61,744,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't kid yourself..
EVERYONE except the highest will get hurt under his plan.
I can see that.

I am retired on pension. My pension is below the current minimum for paying income taxes.

A 9% tax would severely hinder my standard of living, and possibly effect my ability to support myself.

Quote:
... Don't forget the upfront hurt:
the 9% he wants assessed on assets/portfolios.
Assets and Portfolios?

Had not heard of this part. Who is going to do the accounting of Net Worth? That would require a huge growing of the IRS.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:33 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,392,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Nine percent of $millions is a drop in the bucket.

Nine percent of a $1400 SS check, minimum wage check, or earnings of 2.5% on a CD is not.

Once again it's the elite coming up with a proposed solution that only the elite could bear.
OK, valid points. Assuming from your tone you don't consider yourself one of the "elite", what would your tax proposal be?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 AM

34,223 posts, read 83,435,542 times
Quote:
OK, valid points. Indeed so.

Assuming from your tone you don't consider yourself one of the "elite", what would your tax proposal be?
Anyone inclined to offer their opinions or insight on **alternatives to the Cain 9-9-9 plan** and it's impact on the retired that this thread is supposed to be about... please do so pretty much anywhere else but this thread.

TY.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 AM

17,523 posts, read 24,772,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Regardless that I hope he won't get the nomination and/or wouldn't get elecetd if he does aqnd don't believe he could get this implimented if all of that comes to be, there is always a chance.
Many retired persons of moderate and lower incomes would end up getting hurt with this plan.
No income....so won't save on a lower tax rate.
Few capital gains to speak of, if any...so won't save there.
But will end up paying 9% more for everything we spend.
Ouch.
Does this apply to you/the retired people you know?
The 9-9-9 Plan eliminates Social Security and Medicare IMMEDIATELY

It would be up to your state or a charity to provide you a pension and Healthy Care, but that would be optional

Old 10-15-2011, 10:13 AM

14,489 posts, read 14,467,327 times
Quote:
I agree completely. The government has proven time and time again that it does not know how to efficiently (even ethically) handle the money they take from us.
So than if government has no money and we pay no taxes things will be their very best right? We should just scrap the whole thing.

Here are just a handful of things you "inefficient government" is doing for you:

1. Building roads and highways
2. Policing your streets and cities.
3. Providing garbage pickup, water purification, and sewage disposal systems.
4. Adjudicating the guilt or innocence of those accused of crimes and incarcerating the worst offenders.
5. Protecting you from Al Quaeda and foreign powers who have no love for this country.
6. Taking care of the veterans who served our country faithfully through pensions and a healthcare system.
7. Setting air and water quality standards that allow you to breath the air and drink the water with some faith that you won't be poisoned doing so.
8. Delivering your mail.
9. Setting standards and enforcing those standards to insure our food isn't contaminated with bacteria when we eat it.
10. Providing pensions and healthcare for the elderly in our society.
11. Educating your children.
12. Providing student loans for higher education.
13. Running public universities in all the states I'm aware of.
14. Preventing job and educational discrimination against Americans simply because their skin is darker, they are from a minority religion, and they are of a different sex.
15. Setting safety standards and enforcing them in the workplace.

I, too, wish my taxes were lower. I promise you that you have no idea just how high they are. I'm all open for cheaper ways to run government. We can probably trim some fat from every agency.

However, as you drive down the tax-payer funded road to your FDIC insured bank to deposit your Social Security check and than stop off at the doctor's office for your appointment that will be paid for by Medicare give some credit where it is due. People who believe government has no important role to play in our society don't know what they are talking about.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,031,625 times
Quote:
OK, valid points. Assuming from your tone you don't consider yourself one of the "elite", what would your tax proposal be?
Tax those in the wealth categories who are not paying now ("ante up") and haven't been since Reagan et al.

End senseless corporate welfare, which corporations admit they do not need.

I would feel this way even if I were among category of great wealth.

MrR, this directly, immediately, and seriously impacts retirees. We need to know the reality issues and facts before we go out blithely voting for radical change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement