Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,746,519 times

Advertisements

Sun City Anthem in Henderson, NV is no longer controlled by Del Webb. I have been trying to locate other retirement communities that are now out of the hands of the original developer.

Has anyone found others, or a list of others?

I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,544,864 times
Tek_Freek,
The Plantation in Leesburg Florida is out of the developers hands and fully owned by the residents.
They have a VERY healthy HOA account, keep the place up very nice with new things constantly, and the HOA fees are $85.00 per month.

Their website is Florida Active Adult Retirement Community

Feel free to DM if you have further questions.

Frank

Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,522,848 times
Most often the Del Webb communities are turned over to the residents, HOA when 75% built out. Thats how it has been in the three we have lived in.

Currently in a Del Webb about 30% built out and Del Webb/Pulte stills runs the show and not very well might I add.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Most often the Del Webb communities are turned over to the residents, HOA when 75% built out. Thats how it has been in the three we have lived in.

Currently in a Del Webb about 30% built out and Del Webb/Pulte stills runs the show and not very well might I add.
This I know. How to find those is my question.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Tek_Freek,
The Plantation in Leesburg Florida is out of the developers hands and fully owned by the residents.
They have a VERY healthy HOA account, keep the place up very nice with new things constantly, and the HOA fees are $85.00 per month.

Their website is Florida Active Adult Retirement Community

Feel free to DM if you have further questions.

Frank
I'm confused. I did a search on that site and the first house I found is in some place called Sawgrass Village. Is Sawgrass Village part of Plantation?

Edit: Never mind, I found it buried in the description of the home.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 08-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Found it!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:10 AM

248 posts, read 244,658 times
Highland Lakes, in Leesburg, FL, is a former Pringle Development which is now run by the residents. 938 homes and over a million dollars in reserves.
Highland Lakes POA - Home Page

Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,681,229 times
I believe you may find that state laws vary. In some states once a planned development is over 50% owner owned, the operation of the Home Owners Association must be turned over to them. In others it is usually written into the Covenannts when the developer will turn over control.

Some say as long as the developer is still involved and selling homes, they will keep the place well run and in many cases better then an HOA could.

One of the problems in the turn over is it becomes all Chiefs (each homeowner) and no Indians such as moving into a development already run by the HOA and if you want to become known and run for the Board Of Directors it can take sometime.

Nothing worse then a BOD with members that cannot spell fiscal responsibilty never mind figure out how large a capital improvement budget is needed. They keep it cheap (association dues) and down the road they are in all sorts of problems. This is where/why many places end up looking like crap.

Also bad is a BOD that will not make a move without legal consultation.

Add in a BOD that decides to fight the developer.

I could go on and on.

I have lived under HOA's before so I knew what to look for when I recently bought a new patio home in a develpoment of 120 homes (100 in and sold) where the developer does not have to turn over the association to owners until the last home is sold.

All exterior maintenance is paid for by the HOA. Each homeowner is only responsible for their back yard which is about 300sq ft, fenced in with a privacy fence. Fortunately we have no large overhead things like pools, tennis courts, parks, bike paths, etc. Also our streets are public so they are maintained by the county plus we have public water and sewage. I have read the covenants quite closely. I expect our turnover will go quite smoothly but were we thouasands of homes with golf courses, pools, etc then it could get quite sticky.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 08-18-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement