Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:39 PM

59 posts, read 258,971 times

Advertisements

I also posted this on the World thread with no response:

I have been traveling to various countries to investigate retiring outside the US. I've considered Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Brazil, Chile, Argentina, (Colombia is too dangerous). Ghana, South Africa, Kenya, Madagascar. I think I ruled out Europe. Is anyone considering retiring outside the US? Where are you investigating and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
I researched the heck out of it for several years. Even went to visit some likely candidates. I have lived for extended periods outside of the US before so I figured I was a likely candidate. Eventually I decided against it and here's why:

cultural isolation

price-for this to be a good deal you have to live like a local. As soon as you look at the expat communities aimed at American retirees, the prices go way up.

work-if I have to buy the flat screen TV here, I can get a job. If I live in another country on a retiree visa, I can't. Even if I'm just bored; here I can work.

I was planning on renting for a while because I noticed it was harder to sell than it was to buy. Medical insurance and quality of medical care was quite good. I concentrated on Central America; Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, and Costa Rica. Some people would love doing this but it's not for everyone.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
The one thing you might want to check out if you are thinking about Central America is the cost of buying appliances, cars and other items. Not sure if it is still in effect but at one time Panama had a 100 percent import tax on these items, which made them terribly expensive.
Also, if you like to watch TV, spanish TV is much different than US TV.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,494 times
Default Looking Off-Shore for retirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWalk View Post

I have been traveling to various countries to investigate retiring outside the US. I've considered Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Brazil, Chile, Argentina, (Colombia is too dangerous). Ghana, South Africa, Kenya, Madagascar. I think I ruled out Europe. Is anyone considering retiring outside the US? Where are you investigating and why?
MOST definitely! But I wouldn't completely rule out the EU just yet.

Say what you will about George W and his band of merry men (and one lovely woman) but he DID manage to run up a larger national debt, in a shorter time frame, than 'Ronny Ray-gun' (a dig at his 'Star Wars' ABM shield program).

That debt will follow us to our graves IF we continue to be eligible to pay US income taxes. True, some of the EU countries have what appears on the surface as higher tax burdens - but look at the ROI (Return On Investment) you get in healthcare alone. As a fiscal conservative (business owner) I have to plan for the long term - not just the next quarter (or electoral term) so I HAVE to take into account the 'risk to reward ratio' of ignoring/addressing costs of investments.

The 'leaders' of the USA don't want the responsibility of addressing these concerns. Heck, they don't even take the overall costs of providing healthcare to civil service staff seriously so what would make anyone believe they'd care about the rest of us?

That's the main reason the USA will never have a true healthcare system which covers all - regardless of employment or ability to pay. The Govt would lose too many good employees to the private sector - to existing businesses and/or start-ups.

According to the 'WHO' (World Health Organization) France has the best healthcare system on a cost/benefit basis. I've met others who lived/visited France and have partaken of that system and it's a win-win situation for retirees - even those of us who emigrate later in life (though we DO have to pay extra) because we just can't plan for the costs here in the USA and THEY spread the risk (actuarily) over a wider base.

Check out the 'International Living' website for more in-depth analysis. They specialize in 'off-shore' (outside the USA) living and have the latest facts on off-shore developments in immigration, tax and real estate.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,085 times
Smile Dominican Republic North Coast

I spent a few holidays in the Caribbean, fell in love with the Dominican Republic. They have several towns where many Europeans have settled such as Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata, which are all beach side towns with great living standards and many nice people.

I bought a small oceanfront villa in Cofresi, which is smaller but nicer, and I fell for the place when I first rented a villa 3 years ago. Most neighborhoods are made up of private villas, with management companies that clean, maintain and take care of the bills for you ( in my area there`s golden key management ) so it can be a good retirement life.

A friend of mine who became a writer preferred to move into a more remote location called Cabrera, where there is also nice places to live but it is about 2 hours from the main airport in Puerto Plata. I like the island of DR because it has nice beaches and scenery, a simple way of living and the people are always happy and willing to help. I`d rather live closer to the States too, and the Caribbean is just within 2-3 hours away.

Too hard to learn Asian languages for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWalk View Post

Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I wouldn't. It might be great for early age retirement, but the thought of being really old outside my comfort zone is unattractive.
Then, I don't like warm weather, and that seems to be what most people think of. I've also found that everywhere in the U.S. I'd like to live, so do other people, and figured it'd be the same overseas, so not much cheaper as people expect.
I imagine going with a spouse would make it easier, although if you go to Panama, you see no end of old American guys with hot very young women. I'm sure the women are with the guys for the scinillating personalities.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
Why would you rule out Europe, I wonder. I would think that Portugal and Spain would be perfect places to live (such a lovely way of life, they have) & warmer and far less expensive than France or Great Britain .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp115lp View Post
MOST definitely! But I wouldn't completely rule out the EU just yet.

Say what you will about George W and his band of merry men (and one lovely woman) but he DID manage to run up a larger national debt, in a shorter time frame, than 'Ronny Ray-gun' (a dig at his 'Star Wars' ABM shield program).

That debt will follow us to our graves IF we continue to be eligible to pay US income taxes. True, some of the EU countries have what appears on the surface as higher tax burdens - but look at the ROI (Return On Investment) you get in healthcare alone. As a fiscal conservative (business owner) I have to plan for the long term - not just the next quarter (or electoral term) so I HAVE to take into account the 'risk to reward ratio' of ignoring/addressing costs of investments.

The 'leaders' of the USA don't want the responsibility of addressing these concerns. Heck, they don't even take the overall costs of providing healthcare to civil service staff seriously so what would make anyone believe they'd care about the rest of us?

That's the main reason the USA will never have a true healthcare system which covers all - regardless of employment or ability to pay. The Govt would lose too many good employees to the private sector - to existing businesses and/or start-ups.

According to the 'WHO' (World Health Organization) France has the best healthcare system on a cost/benefit basis. I've met others who lived/visited France and have partaken of that system and it's a win-win situation for retirees - even those of us who emigrate later in life (though we DO have to pay extra) because we just can't plan for the costs here in the USA and THEY spread the risk (actuarily) over a wider base.

Check out the 'International Living' website for more in-depth analysis. They specialize in 'off-shore' (outside the USA) living and have the latest facts on off-shore developments in immigration, tax and real estate.

That is nothing compared to what Obama proposes now in debit along witht eh democratic lead congress. But Europe is really in even worse shape in the future which you always have to consider. They have more or less taxed out their citizens in payying for social programs.Future cost make the SS;medicare and medicaid problems seem like nothing. The deficit in the future if Obama gets his way will be by far the largest per centage of GDP in US history.More than WWII.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 53,736 times
There are very few comments on this subject, in this forum or others.I'll check out the URL above.I retired to Malaysia 13 years ago and loving it still.I was interested to see what others had done and how they were copinggreg

Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM

15 posts, read 53,736 times
I've just checked out the "International Living" mentioned above.
Interesting.!!
Only about 3 of the countries listed have English as the first or recognised language.
Who would want to live in Thailand right now, is crazy. Maybe the site is a bit out of date.
Malaysia is hidden away under "Other Countries".
I've travelled extensively around the world.
Malaysia is better than my home country, Australia.
You could live comfortably on $700 per month.
Greg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement