Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 491,055 times

Advertisements

If I were to retire at 48, single, no house, no debts, live simply with 30K a year or less...how much do I need in savings, 401K, etc...is 800K enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley123 View Post
If I were to retire at 48, single, no house, no debts, live simply with 30K a year or less...how much do I need in savings, 401K, etc...is 800K enough?
Multiply 30K by 25 to get 750K, but 750K would be the bare minimum. You'd also have to have a mostly stock portfolio.

This web site does a great job of looking at withdrawal rates and investment choices in retirement. The author of the site is pretty big advocate of 75% S&P 500 Index plus 21% short term bond index plus 4% money market. But he presents other options as well:

2009 Update: Real-Life Retiree Investment Returns

Old 09-18-2010, 06:05 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
How are you planning to pay for your healthcare? If you have a paid for healthcare plan you may get by, if not your first medical problem will wipe you out!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I certain would ant to wait to get a idea on heathcare insurance cost that will be mandated soon.It not only could be high but also the fine and penalty when you dealy buyig it like Part D medicare.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
For each twenty thousand dollars in income you wish to have, you will need one million in combinations of currencies, gold, equities, debt instruments, and suitable derivatives to be safe.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 AM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
With inflation ... 30k will be about 20k in ten years...

Old 09-19-2010, 04:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
With inflation ... 30k will be about 20k in ten years...

Tha's the reason for gold and foreign currencies. I assumed constant dollars or dollars adjusted for inflstion. The dollar is at least headed for long term depreciation or worse.

Assuming a future with compulsory socialized medecine, it will also be necessary to set aside money for private care, either here or abroad. This will be similar to Canadians' travel to the US at the present time for needed medical care. The American oldster is likely to travel to India or China. Currently, many do go to Asia for organ transplants. It's expensive.

The old in thee US are becoming less and less objects of sympathy. Death committees are a certainty. But China, if need be, can make the death penalty more common in order to provide more specimens for harvest. It's no more cruel than the belief growing here that old people should die.

There'll be no retiring from money management for the one who wishes to live a decent life. No outsider will ever care about you and yours as much as you, yourself, do.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Live in a winter retirement community where most of the people are Canadian! 1. they claim to recieve excellent healthcare~ we are the third world health situation. Have never known a Canadian that came to US for healthcare but have met many US citizens that go to Mexico for healthcare
.2. The only thing I'm afraid of is the scaremongers that are trying to do away with government healthcare~ if that happens only people with $10 million per year incomes will be able to afford it.

What this country really needs is for a good comprehensive healthcare to be enacted in this country, our current system is one of the worst in the world, ranking about the same place as the healthcare system in north korea or bangledesh.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
You also might find yourself living to over 100 years old.

You need to factor that in.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:56 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default Absurd and preposterous hyperbole

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
What this country really needs is for a good comprehensive healthcare to be enacted, our current system is one of the worst in the world, ranking about the same place as the healthcare system in north korea or bangledesh.
Healthcare, almost everyone agrees, is very problematic in our society. But why the absurd and preposterous hyperbole about North Korea and Bangledesh? In those countries, there is virtually no state-of-the-art medical care, whereas in our country at least very large numbers of us can avail ourselves of the most modern medical care in the world. Sure, I admit there is a huge problem for those who are uninsured. Once we reach age 65, however, most of us are fortunate enough to be covered by Medicare. I just had hernia surgery under my Medicare Advantage plan for a total out-of-pocket cost of $75. What medical services do you suppose people over 65 in North Korea and Bangledesh receive? And those under 65 fare no better. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement