Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:41 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,151,796 times

Advertisements

Have any of you owned this type of car? I am looking for a good, fuel efficient, cheap car and a lady I know wants $2,400 for this car. It needs the a/c fixed, two new tires up front, but otherwise after test driving it it runs good. I offered her $1,200 for it. Is this a good car to own? She has replaced the transmission and has taken good care of it. It single starts and rides well for it's age.

Your experiences with this type of car?
I just need a car that can get me from a to b and then I will pass it on to my teenage daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,998,431 times
Default Bad move

Bad move. The AWD drivetrain is a complicated system and troublesome. There are very few of these Eagles on the road and few parts available. . What I have learned is that you want to go with a common car if it is over ten years old. These rare cars are very expensive to fix which may happen often on older cars. Look for something that is popular, has lots of parts available and the mechanics know well. Stay away from European cars with their expensive repairs and the found on road dead/fix often repair daily Fords.

Some examples I would focus on from the mid 1990s are Honda Accord/Civic, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Dodge Caravan or any Saturn. These cars were all very popular, easy to fix and seem to last a long time.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,945,113 times
With their AWD they sure looked cool launching at the starting line on a drag strip.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Bad move. The AWD drivetrain is a complicated system and troublesome. There are very few of these Eagles on the road and few parts available. . What I have learned is that you want to go with a common car if it is over ten years old. These rare cars are very expensive to fix which may happen often on older cars. Look for something that is popular, has lots of parts available and the mechanics know well. Stay away from European cars with their expensive repairs and the found on road dead/fix often repair daily Fords.

Some examples I would focus on from the mid 1990s are Honda Accord/Civic, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Dodge Caravan or any Saturn. These cars were all very popular, easy to fix and seem to last a long time.
B.S. All these cars are are rebadged Mitsu Eclipse GSXs. There are TONS of dealers who can work on these cars and have no problem doing so. Parts arent hard to find either. The engine (4G63) is bulletproof and handles modifications well, even on race gas. The only problems known to these cars are bad cranks that tend to walk when hp levels get high and the occasional fuel injector issues. My buddy has a TSi and loves it. He has done some simple mods and runs low 14s on the track and it is his daily driver. He has had the car for over 4 years now I believe and never once has it hiccuped.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 AM

364 posts, read 1,979,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
B.S. All these cars are are rebadged Mitsu Eclipse GSXs. There are TONS of dealers who can work on these cars and have no problem doing so. Parts arent hard to find either. The engine (4G63) is bulletproof and handles modifications well, even on race gas. The only problems known to these cars are bad cranks that tend to walk when hp levels get high and the occasional fuel injector issues. My buddy has a TSi and loves it. He has done some simple mods and runs low 14s on the track and it is his daily driver. He has had the car for over 4 years now I believe and never once has it hiccuped.
Yeah, but I doubt this person is interested in any of what you mentioned. You sound more like you are into fixing cars, taking 'em to the tracks, etc. In other words, you know about cars. The person that asked the question doesn't, that's why he/she is asking.

For a 10+ year old car, I also recommend either Honda or Toyota. Sorry, but it has been proven over and over again. A Honda civic or Toyota corrolla must be the cheapest, most reliable little cars you can get for your money.

-Ed

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,869,181 times
the only really weak part of these cars is the driveline, and that was mostly from abuse. otherwise the engine is one of the most durable of all time and the rest of the car is simple enough to be non-troublesome. There are a million different places to get parts for these cars but you'd have to know where to look for them.

now, being this is a turbocharged awd car that most likely lived a life of abuse, i would imagine there's some weakened parts that you don't see yet such as the turbo, axles, joints, etc. its not the kind of car you'd want to buy as a cheap daily, nor is it the kind of car that would keep a teenager out of trouble. think stoplight challanges and speeding tickets.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Ok first of all this car has not been abused. It is owned by a coworker who takes VERY good care of her things. She bought it brand new and has babied it ever since. It does have some fading to the top of the car but that can be easily painted by my DH (who knows how to work on cars). My DH goes to the junk yard to get parts for our other vehicle and for friends' vehicles so he knows how to fix them. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it. Especially when you say the engine is pretty good. I will make her an offer today.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,869,181 times
good luck. how many miles btw?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM

364 posts, read 1,979,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Ok first of all this car has not been abused. It is owned by a coworker who takes VERY good care of her things. She bought it brand new and has babied it ever since. It does have some fading to the top of the car but that can be easily painted by my DH (who knows how to work on cars). My DH goes to the junk yard to get parts for our other vehicle and for friends' vehicles so he knows how to fix them. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it. Especially when you say the engine is pretty good. I will make her an offer today.
Mmmm, only one original owner.....you should be safe then.

As yo vanilla mentioned, if anything gives you a little bit of trouble inside the engine bay, I'm sure it will be the turbo. But since you are not a race track freak, then you should be able to find a good tech to tune it without major problems.

Still, i doubt you'll have issues with it if the current owner never went crazy on the skinny pedal

Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 PM

I think it has 112,000 miles? We just drove it yesterday. That car can GO!! It is in really good shape on the outside. But since she parks it out in front of her house, the paint on the top is faded no biggie. She has all the paperwork from 1995 when she originally got it! She did get the transmission redone a couple of years ago and she said the engine light comes on every now and then, but nobody can figure out why??? Also, it needs the inspection sticker and two tires in the front. But I figure I won't be able to get a good car for $1,500 anywhere in this area that is not all banged up. She really does take good care of her things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands