Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 09:42 AM

2,045 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
One thing is for sure, we don't have much time to check out different things. Only taking about a week to look around.
Aren't you two retired with all the time in the world? Between rodeos, of course.

If you're researching an area where you hope to spend the rest of your life, I'd invest as long as it takes to find the right place. It's always wise to visit a place during the "best & worst" times of year, like dead of winter vs hottest part of summer.

However, I suggest ignoring everyone's advice so we can continue following your entertaining saga and quest for the impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 02:17 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Aren't you two retired with all the time in the world? Between rodeos, of course.

If you're researching an area where you hope to spend the rest of your life, I'd invest as long as it takes to find the right place. It's always wise to visit a place during the "best & worst" times of year, like dead of winter vs hottest part of summer.

However, I suggest ignoring everyone's advice so we can continue following your entertaining saga and quest for the impossible.
I'm the only one that is retired, with SS only. My wife is still working, but "at home" job thru a temp agency. She gets great salary, but no benefits at all. No vacation, no sick, no medical. She is covered under her Medicare and Supplement. Luckily, she is getting both her salary and full SS also. So, can't be gone that long.

Believe us, we have lived in the "worst time of the year, as in winter", more than once in Colorado. Minus (-) 15 below and 35 inches of snow. We know that northwest Nevada doesn't get that way. They have a winter, but not nearly like a Colorado winters.

Our "quest" isn't impossible. Places we've lived have changed and many long-time residents have told us "too much".

Unfortunately, even if fully retired, it still takes plenty of money to check out places. Financially, we didn't have the money to check out where we are at now, before moving here.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:50 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think Fallon is a better fit for you.
Why not Fernley then? Fernley is closer to Reno. Fallon is further away from Reno and has the Top Gun Air station there so you will get noise from the jets.
Dayton is closer to Carson City.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:57 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Why not Fernley then? Fernley is closer to Reno. Fallon is further away from Reno and has the Top Gun Air station there so you will get noise from the jets.
Dayton is closer to Carson City.
Where ever we live, the city has to have apartments. Have to rent a 2-bedroom/2-bath.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:10 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Where ever we live, the city has to have apartments. Have to rent a 2-bedroom/2-bath.
Consider that you could also rent a home.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Consider that you could also rent a home.
An apartment is a home. If you mean a house, they may not want the responsibility of landscaping/upkeep, etc.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, even if fully retired, it still takes plenty of money to check out places. Financially, we didn't have the money to check out where we are at now, before moving here.
You don't both need to go on a scouting trip together. Consider going alone since you're not working, spend a week driving around a region so you can see things in person and converse with locals. In warmer months, you can pitch a tent at campgrounds to save money on lodging, just an idea (I've done it myself).

From that you can narrow down places worth the both of you revisiting.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Probably better imo to ask any specific questions you want specific, practical lifestyle answers to about Reno region in general or Reno vs. Carson City or Sparks.

"Words of wisdom", if they go general instead of for specific targeted answers, have a good chance of not knowing / fitting you, going beyond where you actually want comment or advice and / or rehashing past discussions.

That is my general advice, fwiw. The question I'd venture to ask is are you leaning at this time toward the bigger or smaller cities? Both have chance to be right enough but it is also possible for one to be "too big" in one or more ways or the other to be "too small". That will take careful consideration, either at an overview level and / or by really researching / perhaps discussing details.

If you want to get right to looking at apartments, this link has 6+ Reno properties and 4 Carson City properties offering 2 bed / 2 baths.

https://www.rent.com/nevada/carson-c...max-price-2000

And 9 options in Sparks.
https://www.rent.com/nevada/sparks-a...max-price-2000

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-18-2024 at 10:50 PM..

Old 02-19-2024, 12:37 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
Check out average rents for what you are looking for in housing on Realtor.com.

Definitely drive through Fallon on your journey as it is a ranching community. Small and comfy and pretty cute. My in-laws retired there and loved it.

The military flights fly south from the base usually, they avoid the city for the most part.

I would definitely talk to a local realtor for the areas you are interested in as they can steer you into a better location for your lifestyle or budget and the most desirable properties are often rented out without ever hitting the market for you to even look at. Every city can have properties you do not want to live in without knowing that until you move in.

Gardnerville is adorable and more cowboy as well, but very limited rentals there probably twice as expensive to rent than in Fallon :O

Last edited by ChrisMT; 02-19-2024 at 12:57 PM..

Old 02-19-2024, 02:04 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think Fallon is a better fit for you.
Same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area