Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 09:56 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
We had it explained to us this way: New-built homes are taxed at 1% of their sale price. A $500,000 home will have property taxes of $5000.00 for the first year. Each year after that, there can be (up to?) 3% of the tax amount added to that original tax amount.
When you purchase an older property, you ‘inherit’ the tax amount from when it was built, and any / all additional assessments levied by the Assessor/Collector.

I hope I’ve stated it correctly. This is how “property taxes” were explained to us. If anyone knows differently, please feel free to add to whatever I missed.

Many Thanks! … T.
I don't think you pay property tax when you buy a home but you do pay a real estate transfer tax, it's not a lot of money. On a $400,000 house I think it would be around $1500. You do pay property tax every year and you're right it's 3%. Nevada does regular re-appraisals so if the value of the property would cause your property tax to be more than 3% they defer the excess, then if your property value decreases they will add some of the deferred tax to your bill but it still won't exceed 3% a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 10:06 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Is it based on age or appraised value of the home? Or is there some combination of both?
Depreciation is calculated at 1.5 percent of the cost of replacement for each year up to 50 years, If I remember correctly it can't reduce the overall tax rate below 2 or 2.5%

Old 01-29-2023, 10:20 PM

746 posts, read 493,695 times
If your wife is in healthcare, she may want to check out Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee CA and you guys live just over the boarder somewhere like Verdi considering there is a significant enough pay increase. There is a wonderful little church in Verdi you might want to check out. We attended for. a while but it was such a long drive and when I lost my job, the gas was just too much- https://sffverdi.com

I like Verdi the best which is just outside Reno.
Beautiful parks, school(s) a wonderful HUGE river. Very easy to get onto Interstate 80.

Or check out Sierra City, CA. Not so great for kids though, not many around here but you could homeschool. It is 1 hr 15 min from Truckee. It is the location of where the Downieville Downhill Mtn Bike Race starts. There is another Mtn Bike Race here too but the name alludes me. Great Mtn Biking Trails in this area but difficult to ride it since Sierra City gets SO MUCH snow sorta like Truckee, Blue Canyon, but not as much but still pretty close. There is a snowmobile club in Sierra City.

When you are on Medicare, the State of Nevada Offers Medicare Medical Savings Accounts which are a wonderful way to save $ on healthcare if you keep yourself healthy and in-shapel. Most States do not offer these

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-upchan...ount-msa-plans

Last edited by Pip-Squeak; 01-29-2023 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-29-2023, 10:21 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
The house that we paid less than 800/year in property taxes sold 2 years ago for 400k. Pip squeak, we got a couple inches of snow in the valley today but the higher elevations got more.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:48 PM

746 posts, read 493,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The house that we paid less than 800/year in property taxes sold 2 years ago for 400k. Pip squeak, we got a couple inches of snow in the valley today but the higher elevations got more.
Hello Teacher Terry. Yeah Some of your roads were not plowed today which surprised me. Those people coming down the hill from Wallmart were driving pretty slow today. I assumed it snowed before we arrived in the late afternoon but had a wonderful day there anyhow. Raleys is such a great store with a fantastic selection of Organic Produce and the Goodwill outlet had a ton of stuff we needed for the house. Next door at the Dollar Store, we got 12 bottles of Sulfate & Paragon Free Shampoo which is usually closer to $8 a bottle so $1.25 was a GREAT deal! Just used it tonight and it's better than our other shampoo. You are lucky to be able to live in Reno.

There are some days which the air is pretty dirty. That hardly ever happens where we live so that is my only concern. Also you have many less Cops which is fantastic.

Oh I don't know where it is offhand but on the side of one road is a Golf Course with Critters running about. This was some time ago, we saw it twice from the car. They are something like Muskrats. Are they Muskrats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area