Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 07:53 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetwilight View Post
Yeah you won't like it here perhaps Montana would be more your line.
Not necessarily Montana, but more like Wyoming. But, if not Wyoming, will find somewhere we will like. I really don't expect folks on this forum to understand how we are around farm, ranch, rodeo young folks, but we get along with them great. Just a different breed of young folks. We love going to a Fair and seeing young folks showing their livestock. They are so proud of how the animal looks, and then, to win a 1st Place Blue Ribbon for a hog, steer, sheep or other farm/ranch animal........to us, terrific!

Old 05-03-2022, 10:36 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Not necessarily Montana, but more like Wyoming. But, if not Wyoming, will find somewhere we will like. I really don't expect folks on this forum to understand how we are around farm, ranch, rodeo young folks, but we get along with them great. Just a different breed of young folks. We love going to a Fair and seeing young folks showing their livestock. They are so proud of how the animal looks, and then, to win a 1st Place Blue Ribbon for a hog, steer, sheep or other farm/ranch animal........to us, terrific!

In NV, people DO, or they don't do. You don't sit around and watch others.... do.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2022, 02:22 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
BabyBoomer, the best solution to your wishes is to find 55+ housing and get involved or attend the 4H events, etc. in whatever city you choose.

It can be hard to find apartments and 55+ housing in rural areas, but you can find 4H programs in most cities.

I participated in 4H and other livestock events here in Nevada when I worked in ranching and I understand exactly what you are saying about the more wholesome aspect of it with the youth. Anyone can attend most of these events.

So look for 55+ housing and 4H where you are currently located as the best option and then work from there if you need to find a new location. Try and put the word out or look at advertisements for rooms for rent etc, on ranches or rural properties.

In Nevada, you might want to look at Dayton, Smith Valley/Yerington, Gardnerville, Fallon/Fernley or Elko/Ely for ranching communities. Some of these locations have limited housing because of the many large mines in the area hiring workers from out of state, so it can be challenging to find an apartment or affordable home.

Best wishes to you!

Last edited by ChrisMT; 05-03-2022 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
BabyBoomer, the best solution to your wishes is to find 55+ housing and get involved or attend the 4H events, etc. in whatever city you choose.

It can be hard to find apartments and 55+ housing in rural areas, but you can find 4H programs in most cities.

I participated in 4H and other livestock events here in Nevada when I worked in ranching and I understand exactly what you are saying about the more wholesome aspect of it with the youth. Anyone can attend most of these events.

So look for 55+ housing and 4H where you are currently located as the best option and then work from there if you need to find a new location. Try and put the word out or look at advertisements for rooms for rent etc, on ranches or rural properties.

Best wishes to you!
Well, 55+ housing aka 55+ communities aren't cheap. Actually, here, there is a waiting list, that is quite long, for an apartment in one of the communities. And, one 55+ Community that we checked out here, doesn't allow any kind of firearms in the building/apartments. There was a sign on the front door stating just that. We have two rifles and two handguns, but only target shoot. We are advocates of hunting, but don't do it. We love seeing "Mounts" inside Bass Pro or Sportsman's Warehouse.

My interest would be more into rodeo than 4-H or FFA. As I was involved in PRCA rodeo for a number of years.

Bottom Line is: We no longer want to live in Loveland. Thank God we don't have a house, or would have to sell it. And, in reality, the way the Front Range has gotten, and continues to get, we don't really even want to live here at all anymore. Getting way to "fast paced" and young for us. Remember, we are 73 & 74.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,423 times
Quote:
Way to judge others

Old 05-08-2022, 11:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Well, 55+ housing aka 55+ communities aren't cheap. Actually, here, there is a waiting list, that is quite long, for an apartment in one of the communities. And, one 55+ Community that we checked out here, doesn't allow any kind of firearms in the building/apartments. There was a sign on the front door stating just that. We have two rifles and two handguns, but only target shoot. We are advocates of hunting, but don't do it. We love seeing "Mounts" inside Bass Pro or Sportsman's Warehouse.

My interest would be more into rodeo than 4-H or FFA. As I was involved in PRCA rodeo for a number of years.

Bottom Line is: We no longer want to live in Loveland. Thank God we don't have a house, or would have to sell it. And, in reality, the way the Front Range has gotten, and continues to get, we don't really even want to live here at all anymore. Getting way to "fast paced" and young for us. Remember, we are 73 & 74.

I think you would do better East of the Rockies. Perhaps Arkansas or Tennessee - or to be cliche: Florida.

Most metros in the West are seeing rapidly increasing COL and an influx of Californians. I also think - just based on what I've seen and heard - that even the older 'redneck' element in the West often has a somewhat counter-culture, edgy side to it (drug culture, 'opt-outs' etc. i.e. echoes of the wild side of the 60s) which doesn't appear to be the kind of thing you appreciate

Old 05-08-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetwilight View Post
Way to judge others
People are always "judging" others..........always. Many don't like to admit it, but they sure do it.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think you would do better East of the Rockies. Perhaps Arkansas or Tennessee - or to be cliche: Florida.

Most metros in the West are seeing rapidly increasing COL and an influx of Californians. I also think - just based on what I've seen and heard - that even the older 'redneck' element in the West often has a somewhat counter-culture, edgy side to it (drug culture, 'opt-outs' etc. i.e. echoes of the wild side of the 60s) which doesn't appear to be the kind of thing you appreciate
We simply don't want to be "Southerners" at all. Lived in northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, for 10 1/2 years. We shouldn't have moved there in the first place. We are way to much into rodeo and observing livestock to live anywhere where there isn't either of those.

Nope, Wyoming or someplace like that.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:28 AM

7,092 posts, read 4,526,537 times
There’s no perfect place to live and no matter where you go there you are. The problem may lay inside yourselves.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
There’s no perfect place to live and no matter where you go there you are. The problem may lay inside yourselves.
Actually, you could say that to anyone on city-data who moves. There are plenty of folks on this forum who have done just that. There are those that move, and become very happy where they move to, and then again, there are those that end up disliking where they moved to and move again.

People know what they want out of an area they move to. They may not get all that they want, but, most of the time, it's much better than where they came from. Everyone has their "likes" and "dislikes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area