Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:58 PM

148 posts, read 467,770 times

Advertisements

A2K2- Please send me a direct message. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 12,770 times
a2k2,

Trader Joe's has got some kosher meat. Sacramento is 2 hours away and you can get kosher things there.

People say that there is almost nothing here for Jewish kids. Do not move to Reno if you do not have to. The only shul in Reno with Jewish kids is Reform but it's got some issues. There is a social circle of older (50-80 years old) Jews in the Conservative shul but virtually nothing for younger folks.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 PM

8 posts, read 69,628 times
Default 2,000 or so Jewish people in Reno. Where is everyone?

I appreciate everyone's comments on being Jewish in Reno. The stats show that 2% of Reno is Jewish but it seems that for the most part, it is not an active community particularly among families with young children. I've been told that approximately 100 families belong to the Conservative synagogue, another 100 or so belong to the Reform synagogue and 10 to Chabad. Where are the remaining Jews (nearly 2,000)? I hope this doesn't across wrong. It is not meant to be rude/confrontational, etc. This is one of the biggest factors in our decision to move to Reno. We are a family who is very involved with the Jewish community in Los Angeles.

Is Judaism an important part of your life? And if so, how do you reconcile living in a place that doesn't really support Jewish "culture"?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:45 PM

34 posts, read 350,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k2 View Post
Thank you for your responses.

Any idea whether there is an area where Jewish families tend to live? We were looking into the Damonte Ranch area.
Hi! Recently moved to the Damonte Ranch area and we don't have children yet. I *really* like living here in South Reno. Everything is very conveinent and I love our views of the mountains.

The exception, and one of the things you will miss, is access to a JCC. I have yet to attend synogogue here, since we're relatively non-practicing and the outreach is practically non-existent.

I really feel the Jewish population of Reno is fragmented and has limited choices (we moved from SF and I grew up in NYC). But I think all it takes is a catalyst to come together and the Jewish community will flourish.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 36,399 times
I'll tell it like it is...Reno has a significant anti-Jewish bias that has shown itself to me behind closed doors. That's all I will say, but you know when it is there. It especially seems a problem in the entrenched, long-time residents, but with the population growth and diversification, it could be that this situation could be mitigated. Reno is very much a white-oriented city and they have at heart a much different vibe than Vegas- more open-country, ranch-like Western ethos.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 12,651 times
Default Friends moving there

I have friends who planned on moving to Reno and they may move up their target date.
I know what the other writer means about the whiteness of the town, but it's really the blue-collarness of it that makes it seem anti-Jewish or anti anything I'm interested in.
I just find the things that impress the locals are very unsophisticated things. But that's the culture of the town. How would you feel if some Bud drinking bowlers rolled up in your town complaining about all the lame arts festivals and the total lack of NASCAR?
I kind of enjoy the freedom they have in Nevada. And you have to admit, it's not pretentious. Personally, I can get into most cultural scenes enough to enjoy them on some level.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 12,535 times
A2K2- We've been in Reno for a few years, Tahoe for several years before that. Two daughters, one in public elementary school, one in private high school. Seem to have similar feelings about Reno as West&East. Shoot me an e-mail if interested in chattting about Reno.

West&East- Hi- do we know each other? We haven't been to Chabad yet, but I know several people who are involved... I'd like to chat with you about their programs, if you've the time and/or inclination...

[email]rkrugg@aol.com[/email]

Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 PM

414 posts, read 972,022 times
There are Three Jewish synagogues in Reno.

Temple Sinai is Reform. They are just finishing up a major addition and remodel of their entire shul. Looks very nice. Lots of kids. Down side is they do not have Saturday AM services. Very welcoming to everyone.

Temple Emanuel is Conservative, but leaning towards the orthodox. Gays need not apply. It is a bit run down. Also it seems to have an older membership.

Chabad of Northern Nevada. Ultra Orthodox. Plans are in the works for a new shul but so far I have not seen any construction started. Very nice Rabbi.

A little further out are congregations at Lake Tahoe. The one at South Shore is Reconstructionist. I can not give you any information other than that.

There was a very nice big Yom HazMot Celebration in 2007 at the Convention Center. Unfortunately it lost money so I do not see anything like coming down the line again.

The second Jewish Film Festival is this year. Last year it sold out and it probably will do so again this year.

There is no JCC or Jewish Federation in Reno and the three synagogues really do not work together very well, each doing their own thing.

There is also a Jewish War Veterans Post in Reno. Kind of small as it is just starting.

If there are 8 Jewish cemeteries in Reno you could have fooled me. I only know of one up in Virginia City from the 1800s and another up by the University of Nevada, which is almost full. Maybe some of the other cemeteries have a "Jewish" section.

If moving to Nevada and want a Jewish community, Las Vegas would be a much better choice. Reno is kind of fragmented.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM

148 posts, read 467,770 times
I just took a tour of Chabad's new building. They have gutted a 2 story building on Moana and are well along on the interior construction. The exterior does not look like much right now and there is no sign marking the site. They are building a new school. The plans are top notch. The second floor will have the new shul. The plans are also for a kosher cafe, and a kosher catering kitchen so that the facility can be rented out for bar mitzvah's etc. Chabad has been very welcoming of my family- Jewish mom, non-Jewish dad, not very observant. They hope the new building will build a sense of Jewish community.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 PM

115 posts, read 301,757 times
In Reno we do get the brilliant radio talk-show host Dr. Michael Savage for 3 hours a day, five days a week. He's Jewish, and while I'm not, I love him.

You asked if there's anti-semitism in Reno; yes, I am sad to say. I recall not so long ago some punks vandalizing a synagog or two. All in all, however, I'd say that Reno is a very friendly place with lots of decent people from a million different places. And, too, there's a zillion great places to eat, drink and shop. You'd love it here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area