Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 AM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocation to the Reno/Carson City area when I complete my studies in May of 2007. While I have some knowledge of the area from previous visits, I was hoping to make contact with people who live in the area and are employed as teachers or instructional personnel with one of the local school districts, such as Washoe or Carson City.

Good, bad, let's hear it!

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,443,074 times
You will get hired, the area is growing. School Districts in Nevada are county districts, 55 elementary schools and close to 10 high schools in Reno Sparks. The pay scale is the lowest in the state. If you go out to a cow county you will make a lot more.

Affordability of housing is a problem. A condo in Reno or a house in Fernley.

Expect to start at no more than $30,000 per year.

If you like the outdoors all of Nevada is great.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the information. As far as salaries, they are higher than that in Washoe Co - I just checked their salary page. That doesn't include the $2k spiff the state tosses in to first year out-of-state teachers in areas of critical need (special ed.) which I will be certified in.

I already got an offer from Pahrump, which is a nice area, but too "desert" for me - I want to live closer to the Sierras if I move out that way.

Again, thanks!

RM

Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM

I haven't looked at the pay scale, but I work for the district, Carson and Gardnerville probably pay more.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 PM

I don't know about Gardnerville, but I have heard CC schools have a reputation for only wanting bottom dollar (5 years or less) employees. They also appear to be dropping in enrollment, too. I assume that's due to an increase in property values?

Thanks!

RM

Old 09-06-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Jobs

If you are an outdoorsy guy, Ely, Elko, Eureka would be good places to look.
Dayton and Fernley Silver Springs Yerington (Lyon county Schools) are growing.

Minden and Gardnerville (Douglas County)

Old 09-08-2006, 01:35 PM

I've looked at Yerington, but none of the others, as I like the outdoors, but I still want to be a reasonable distance from the "big city" if I need it.

I am considering a trip out to the area before winter kicks in. Any suggestions for a cutoff date that would be good so I don't get into winter?

I've backpacked in the Yosemite area for many years, and have been there as late as early November with the weather still being decent. I would bring some family members, so I want to be sure it's nice when I come. . .

Thanks Again,

RM

Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM

On the main roads and in the towns of Nevada Winter is relatively mild,, cold sometimes, but little snow (compared to Tahoe) I would have no problem touring at any time. Although,, watching for ice on the roads is a good thing. The towns can look bleak in late fall and winter as the cottonwoods have lost their leaves. Restuarants and motels outside of the Reno, Elko are usually fairly bad...

I am partial to Elko,, great mountains around there. Remember that there are only about 100,000 people in the rural areas of Nevada, and area the size of France. So wild, is easy to find. One caveat,,, stay off the dirt roads in wet season...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area