Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:27 PM

433 posts, read 587,573 times

Advertisements

As a theist, you pick a worldview and then believe it -- but what if it's all wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,457,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
As a theist, you pick a worldview and then believe it -- but what if it's all wrong?
Only theists can be wrong?

Old 05-23-2010, 01:35 PM

768 posts, read 1,088,900 times
If it's a theistic worldview, it's wrong. End of story.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:42 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,457,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
If it's a theistic worldview, it's wrong. End of story.
Beginning of story. I know there are Objectivists out there, and philosophically that's a troublesome atheistic worldview (there are logical problems). So...?

This is basically another thread about Pascal's Wager, and Pascal's Wager is not a good foundation for any worldview. Go find your why and leave this what if alone.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:51 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,329,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Only theists can be wrong?
I don't think that only theists can be wrong, but atheists are as they are by default. We don't choose not to believe, we just don't because we find ourselves unable to believe such things. As where a theist has to make a conscious effort to maintain their belief. So the theist is the one taking the step, thus taking the risk.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 PM

The problem of being wrong came from "faith" -- the act of picking something and believing it, ignoring facts and evidences.

Of course atheists can be wrong too. But they don't habitually do "faith". That made them one less peril of being wrong.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:47 PM

117 posts, read 144,640 times
i am qouting emily deschanel in bones which i am crazy about these days. her character is a very intelligent scientist and her partner is in FBI who is catholic. she said. "well i believe in what i touch,see,smell. you believe in what you feel"

so i believe in what i feel is right in that there is life after death. for me the real purpose in life is your eternal life destiny. i don't feel comfy in what others believe that when u die that's it. i just can't. it just feels so wrong to me.

as to the OP question: it really is unanswerable. meaning there will always be diff opinion about it based on one's, well, worldview. the problematic thing too is, none has a verifiable answer on what happens AFTER you die.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofreaks View Post
...for me the real purpose in life is your eternal life destiny. i don't feel comfy in what others believe that when u die that's it. i just can't. it just feels so wrong to me.
So "afterlife" is what really matters to you. Then are you looking forward to this "afterlife"?

Imagine someone has precisely the same views as yours, except he did something drastic -- he ended his life by way of suicide to realize his religious dream. My question was what if such religious dream of yours was false?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 AM

117 posts, read 144,640 times
well seeing as what you are implying is my religious dream of afterlife maybe wrong. and your worldview that when u die that's it, maybe right. how do u suppose i can still use my brain or answer your question when your belief is when u die that's it. well my answer is......

none coz when u die there is nothing more. that's what ur worldview of death right? so i am answering according to what your scenario is when u die.

as to if im looking forward to afterlife. at this point in my life no coz i have done nothing to achieve my real purpose in life which is heaven. but that does not mean i am afraid of death. it is inevitable and uncontrollable.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:06 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,589,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post

Then I'd be guilty of self-delusion.

Next question, please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality